Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is it to warm engine before spark plug change?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default How important is it to warm engine before spark plug change?

I ordered spark plugs and am hoping to start on the process of changing out my plugs sometime soon.

I've read a couple how-tos that recommend starting with a warm engine before you crack the plugs, put in the carb cleaner etc.

Problem is, my car hasn't been started since end of November and it's gonna be awhile before I can get it out of the garage.

Will it make that much of a difference to do it on a cold engine?

BTW my car has just under 80K on it.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:09 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

It makes no difference. Spray them with a little penetrating oil and they'll come right out.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
It makes no difference. Spray them with a little penetrating oil and they'll come right out.
What color is the sky in your world?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:43 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

The warmed engine has expanded the metals and helped to loosen the carbon deposits. I think before the change your susposed to fuel sys cleaner like B-12, seafoam, etc. you won't get that either if you do it now

I'd wait until you can get it out and warm it up or just plan on a lot of breaks and extract them as they break. Since you aren't driving it you can spend the time extracting them.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

This is an ordeal. I have done it three times on a 4.6 (ranging from 60k-85k miles) and it is an annoying experience. Some people are able to get them out no problem but it is not very common. Everyone has their own "way" to do it. I suggest reading the TSB on the issue.

Just from my experience I have had the best of luck as follows.
Use seafoam "Deep Creep" This I would not change as nothing really compares to it.
I suggest getting the engine to operating temperature and spraying Deep Creep into each well until there is a small puddle. let it sit for a couple hours until the engine is completely cool. After it is cool, start the engine and let it get warm, but not hot. Grab a torgue wrench set to 35-40 ftlbs. Try to just crack them 1/8 turn. Do Not exceed the 40 ftlbs. The plugs break right around 40. If they don't move at 40 then go through a few more warm cool cycles and make sure a puddle of Deep Creep stays in the well. After you get them to spin 1/8 of a turn. Let them sit again (you are letting the Deep Creep Desolve the carbon build up that causes all the issues. After they have sat, just remove them gently and slowly, sometimes working them in and out helps. They will make a terrible screeching sound as they come out. This is normal.

I have also had luck using an electric impact on its lowest setting (after they have sat in Deep Creep)

I would also recommend getting a lisle 65600 tool (or borrowing) for if you break one (likely). The tool comes with clear instructions and how to use it and it is $60. If you don't use it then great, return it. If you do need it you will be glad you have it.

Put one piece plugs back in and give them a generous coating of anti seize.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazykevin
This is an ordeal. I have done it three times on a 4.6 (ranging from 60k-85k miles) and it is an annoying experience. Some people are able to get them out no problem but it is not very common. Everyone has their own "way" to do it. I suggest reading the TSB on the issue.

Just from my experience I have had the best of luck as follows.
Use seafoam "Deep Creep" This I would not change as nothing really compares to it.
I suggest getting the engine to operating temperature and spraying Deep Creep into each well until there is a small puddle. let it sit for a couple hours until the engine is completely cool. After it is cool, start the engine and let it get warm, but not hot. Grab a torgue wrench set to 35-40 ftlbs. Try to just crack them 1/8 turn. Do Not exceed the 40 ftlbs. The plugs break right around 40. If they don't move at 40 then go through a few more warm cool cycles and make sure a puddle of Deep Creep stays in the well. After you get them to spin 1/8 of a turn. Let them sit again (you are letting the Deep Creep Desolve the carbon build up that causes all the issues. After they have sat, just remove them gently and slowly, sometimes working them in and out helps. They will make a terrible screeching sound as they come out. This is normal.

I have also had luck using an electric impact on its lowest setting (after they have sat in Deep Creep)

I would also recommend getting a lisle 65600 tool (or borrowing) for if you break one (likely). The tool comes with clear instructions and how to use it and it is $60. If you don't use it then great, return it. If you do need it you will be glad you have it.

Put one piece plugs back in and give them a generous coating of anti seize.

Put the anti-seize only on the smooth barrel at the bottom of the plug, not on the threads. Be very careful not to get any anti-seize on the firing end of the plug, this will short out the plug and cause a miss.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:16 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I just saw a video on youtube of a guy who did the job on a hot engine and zipped them right out with an impact wrench. Interesting...

I do have one piece plugs (e3's, have heard mixed reviews but the price was right, I'll try em out), got some carb cleaner, have not seen this deep creep? Is it an aerosol?

Guess I might have to run the car in the garage some. I'd really rather work on it now than try to do it when the weather is nice and I'm wanting to drive the car.

I'll order the tool if I need it, I'm not in any hurry.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I would not recommend the impact wrench/gun on plugs. In theory I see how the pounding effect the gun has would break the carbon loose/off to make it easier to take the plugs out but that is just theory.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I did mine on a cold engine. broke 2 of 8 (the OEM plugs) at 82k miles. Used the lisle tool.. that thing is a godsend! But make sure you have a vise or strong hands to get the plug off the end of the tool...

I used PB Blaster to break it up, and personally I think I broke the plugs losing my patience. However, after the plugs were changed and used the antiseize.... they came out like a hot knife through butter when I put the whipple on
Old 02-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dlazrael
I did mine on a cold engine. broke 2 of 8 (the OEM plugs) at 82k miles. Used the lisle tool.. that thing is a godsend! But make sure you have a vise or strong hands to get the plug off the end of the tool...

I used PB Blaster to break it up, and personally I think I broke the plugs losing my patience. However, after the plugs were changed and used the antiseize.... they came out like a hot knife through butter when I put the whipple on
Did you switch to one-piece or stick with the two-piece design?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How important is it to warm engine before spark plug change?