Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 2013 GT. Too soon to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
The sound tube is one of the dumbest things I've seen a manufacturer put on a car! The JLT Intake, I would assume you purchased for the looks, because quite honestly, it probably hurt your performance. The factory CAI, on the coyote is one of the best factory equipped CAI systems Ford has ever used. I installed my tune 5 weeks after picking up the car, so I say go for it.
Cai does improve both sound and looks , and I noticed a difference in power too when switching from stock intake with a tune, to steeda CAI + tune.

Overall, i think the tune is probably the the best mod of all mods ive done.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:34 PM
steve694

Not trying to start a cold air intake war, but if they didn't work - no one would sell them or buy them. Stating that the factory airbox is a CAI is not very accurate. It sits right next to the hot *** engine getting just as hot as an exposed cone filter. Yes, it has plumbing to bring in air through the bumper, but so does my JLT. Also, I would like to comment that my JLT CAI is now out of stock on American Muscle. So obviously people are not keen on the stock airbox.

Go on youtube or do a google search for any fast car. Everyone has an exposed CAI. When Roush buys the GT Mustang from Ford, they even put a CAI on it.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

for me personally i like having a bigger intake so that my car doesn't have to struggle getting air in. i agree that the tune is the one that gives the car the extra hp,

on top of that i can always reuse my CAi and they look good
Old 03-01-2015, 06:15 PM
DeepImpactPony

Originally Posted by steve694
Not trying to start a cold air intake war, but if they didn't work - no one would sell them or buy them. Stating that the factory airbox is a CAI is not very accurate. It sits right next to the hot *** engine getting just as hot as an exposed cone filter. Yes, it has plumbing to bring in air through the bumper, but so does my JLT. Also, I would like to comment that my JLT CAI is now out of stock on American Muscle. So obviously people are not keen on the stock airbox.

Go on youtube or do a google search for any fast car. Everyone has an exposed CAI. When Roush buys the GT Mustang from Ford, they even put a CAI on it.
Go to a dedicated s197 Platform forum,do a search. s197forum.com, I will leave it at that. It's your money and your car, whatever makes you happy man.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steve694

I dunno, maybe an aftermarket CAI can provide more flow? It cannot supply cooler air than the OEM airbox though. If I flip my instrument panel to gauge mode and select intake air temperature and then compare that to the outside air temperature on the radio, they are usually within a degree of one another (the intake air sometimes cooler sometimes warmer) if not reading exactly the same. Can't get any colder than ambient.

Of course if you're stuck in traffic, the intake air temp will begin to increase above ambient but it comes right down again once underway. I'm sure that any aftermarket CAI would behave the same way, maybe worse? Not sure but the OEM air box seems to have a pretty thick wall. The thought crossed my mind that it might be a double wall construction perhaps with an insulating air layer between?

Last edited by WJBertrand; 03-02-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:26 PM
steve694

Take a look at this S550 Bama tuned GT without a JLT intake and then with one.

+9 whp

NUFF said

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x4-cus...er-2015gt.html
Old 03-02-2015, 11:42 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

A fool and his money are soon parted. Wise words to live by.

If you are going to buy a CAI, then you might as well get a throttle body spacer to go with it.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:24 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Have any of you actually dynoed stock, with, and without back to back to back? Or are you just going by what a friend heard from a guy that read it on line.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the tune wasn't on order before you drove the car off the lot, it's too late.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
DeepImpactPony

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Have any of you actually dynoed stock, with, and without back to back to back? Or are you just going by what a friend heard from a guy that read it on line.
My car dyno'd 370 factory, and with 93 octane tune, 408. This subject of CAI on the coyote has been beaten to death, and has been proven on Forums dedicated to the coyote platform, and the s197 platform with coyote. There were also tests performed by 2 of the fastest N/A coyote cars. To compare HP, on track, I ran a best of 12.80 factory, and a best of 12.18 with tune, and suspension.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87480

Last edited by DeepImpactPony; 03-06-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: My new 2013 GT. Too soon to tune?