Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got lightly rear ended.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Hope all works out OK ..... I know it sucks to have a new car damaged so soon. I personally think you did the right thing.

I understand people making mistakes and I understand parts failing unexpectedly ..... but I carry insurance to cover them if it ever happens that my mistake or malfunction touches their wallet. I also understand people choosing to drive distracted or with screwed up brakes or slick tires or etc .... and they do it because they don't take their responsibility to others seriously. I was a LEO for over 30 years, went to many minor accidents where I just documented everything for both parties.

Otherwise, there are some strange notions here about what does or does not constitute "being a dick". Some being one as they chastise another for what they consider being one.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

OP, you are in no way being a dick... That's what insurance is for and it's called personal accountability.

Anyways, contact your insurance company and give them the other persons insurance info and a copy of the police report....Actually your insurance company will obtain the police report themselves if you can tell them which city filed the report. It can take a couple weeks to get the report actually released from the office that wrote it.

Your insurance should be taking care of all of it themselves once you give them the info they request. The other guys insurance MAY contact you for your statement. Ask your insurance company how to handle it. Whatever you do, do NOT apologize to anyone. Apologies in the insurance claims reps eyes are an admission of guilt or signs of a guilty conscience.

You can also ask your insurance company about how to file a 'Dimished Value' claim with the other insurance company. They may do it for you. It may not be worth it though depending on the size of the claim. My wife's car got rear-ended a few years ago. Only the rear bumper cover needed replacing (Ford Escape) It was about a $600 repair, it only affect the car's value about $150. The irony is that because the car rode up under hers, it was totaled (2008 Kia car).

The kids insurance is going up at this point no matter what so, may as well have your car made right. Why should you pay for someone else's mistake? Yep, we all make mistakes but personal accountability is the key here. His mistake, he has insurance for mistakes like this. It's not like you are suing him (wrongfully) to try and make a buck. THAT would be a dick move.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Update for anyone that is interested.

So after a two weeks of waiting I got the police report, and called the other parties insurance. I got a major run around there. The insurance has been alright, but it seems the other party has been difficult to get a hold of, didn't want to admit what really happened, etc... It hasn't been fun. However, I got the call yesterday that the other party's insurance will accept my claim.

I went and got an estimate this morning to the tune of $1700 for the rear fascia, installation/paint and a new muffler. The bodyshop was pretty great about the whole thing, they are just down the street from my house, so I am leaning heavily to having them do the work, the guy that owns the shop has dealt with the adjuster I am working with several times and he feels pretty confident that based on the recent weather they won't argue and will just cut me the check to get the claim settled. Hopefully this could be resolved by the beginning of next week.

However...

I am thinking of having them install the Roush rear valance and the axleback exhaust in an effort of making lemonade out of lemons. I am just wanting to get this whole thing over with. It has been quite a nightmare.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Looks like the end is in sight. At least nobody was hurt. Your car will be fine and go for the upgrade!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

had the same issue, woman backed into me, acted all sorry and was adament their insurance would cover it.

They never filed it, never answered their phone calls/letters sent.

I took the police report in and they green lit the repairs that day
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
Update for anyone that is interested.

So after a two weeks of waiting I got the police report, and called the other parties insurance. I got a major run around there. The insurance has been alright, but it seems the other party has been difficult to get a hold of, didn't want to admit what really happened, etc... It hasn't been fun. However, I got the call yesterday that the other party's insurance will accept my claim.

I went and got an estimate this morning to the tune of $1700 for the rear fascia, installation/paint and a new muffler. The bodyshop was pretty great about the whole thing, they are just down the street from my house, so I am leaning heavily to having them do the work, the guy that owns the shop has dealt with the adjuster I am working with several times and he feels pretty confident that based on the recent weather they won't argue and will just cut me the check to get the claim settled. Hopefully this could be resolved by the beginning of next week.

However...

I am thinking of having them install the Roush rear valance and the axleback exhaust in an effort of making lemonade out of lemons. I am just wanting to get this whole thing over with. It has been quite a nightmare.
That is usually what happens, people get cold feet about taking responsibility once reality sets in. It's ok though, your insurance will definitely not let it go but, no worries, sounds like you are under way to get your car fixed! Good luck!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:15 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
had the same issue, woman backed into me, acted all sorry and was adament their insurance would cover it.

They never filed it, never answered their phone calls/letters sent.

I took the police report in and they green lit the repairs that day
Yet another reason to file a police report. Props.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:44 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

What's the lesson here?

Well, get with the program pronto and get a police report right away so you don't have to deal with people that have sudden "amnesia" like it's the case here.
Also, contact your own Ins. Cie and tell them that someone ran into you and THEY'RE at fault, not you and the police is backing that up via report.
The police report is important so it's not your word against the other party if the schit hits the fan.

Lastly, you're not being a dick but the poster that mention it sure qualifies for it.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

I filed the police report immediately after the accident. The major issue was the deputy didn't turn it in for two weeks. Granted, we did have a massive snow storm, but still. The amnesia was solved pretty quick once we solved who was driving the car the policy holder didn't own debacle. With the report in hand obviously. The problem was that it took a day turn around for anything to get done, partly because of my schedule. In the end, I was pleased with the other party's insurance. As for calling my insurance, they have been a hassle over and over. "Pay your deductible and we will be more than glad to process your claim and get the process started to get your car fixed." Then of course they inform me that it could be six months before I get anything back, if I get anything back, after they go after the other party. They call me multiple times a day asking me if I am going to pursue the claim, etc... Honestly I am about to change carriers due to how they have handled this, after being a customer for ten years. Going through the other party's insurance was the way to go, and it was resolved much faster that 'six months.' Oh, and I paid nothing out of pocket.

Right now I am looking at adding the Boss rear valance and trying to decide on what axleback to use, I am kinda cheap, so the options are limited. The Pypes Bomb just doesn't do it for me, it sounds really bad IMO. American Muscle has MBRP and the videos on Youtube sound fairly decent for the price.

I suppose that since the dam burst, I might as well get an intake and a tune too. I was looking at this combo and it doesn't seem bad for the price.

The only bummer is that I am taking my annual vacation to Fontana NC in three weeks, and I am worried all the parts won't get here in time. Growing up on the Dragon makes me really want to take Harmony back there with some upgrades. She isn't as fun as my purpose built Celica, but I have a feeling she could be in time.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:44 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I will call the cops from the get go if it is visible damage. The cost of repair easily eclipses 1000 dollars these days, and around these parts that is when you have to call the cops if I remember correctly.

As far as being a dick. If someone rear-ends you they deserve to be leached for cash. It serves a stern reminder to keep your attention to the road instead of a phone. It really seems nine out of ten rear end crashes are phone related.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got lightly rear ended.