Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C condenser replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Careless00045

Default A/C condenser replacement

Hello everyone,

My A/C condenser has leaked all the refrigerant due to a small hole...
so i will have to replace it!
The steps that i will be taken is !
-remove old condenser
-Install New condenser
-charge the system with 3 cans of R-134a.

So i saw some comments about vacuuming the system and adding oil and stuff like that!
I was wondering if you guys can explain what has to be done here! and if its OK if I followed my steps as mention above.
Thanx
Old 02-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Nohippychicks

The standard for replacing AC parts when there is an opening in the system is to replace the dryer and pull a vacuum on the system afterwards. The dryer is replaced very last, as far as parts go, to try to minimize the effect of any moisture in the air on the desiccant inside of it.

All the vacuum really does is act as a leak check and lower the boiling point of any water in it to below ambient temperature to be sure it's good and dry. In theory, you should be able to take a dryer that was totally saturated with water and pull the vacuum on it, dry it out and use it...but somehow it just doesn't seem to work that way.

Adding cans of refrigerant is going to get some mixed reviews; DIY guys will sometimes say that it worked for them....but they were lucky. The RIGHT way of adding to a completely evacuated system is to take it to a pro, where they will have the equipment to evacuate any oxygen and moisture and add the proper ratio of refrigerant and oil to your system, by weight not by volume.

If you do the work yourself of swapping parts and doing a leak check, just having the service done at a shop shouldn't be much money.

Good luck with it!
Old 02-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Careless00045

Yes i will do it my self! somehow i get things done just by researching
I want to know what kind of oil i should add to the system and how much of it should go into Mustang base AC system.
-And is it a must to replace the dryer since the system will be open only for few minutes ?
Thanks man! you are a big help .
Old 02-28-2015, 05:16 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

You must pull a vacuum on the system before recharging. Pulling a vacuum removes non condensibles. If these are not removed, it will reek havoc on the system. Fix the leak yourself, but have a shop charge it. If you just go ahead and dump refrigerant into a open system, you will just have wasted your money.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:02 PM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

You need a vacuum pump and a gauge set to service the AC system the right way. The sticker under the hood should tell you how much refrigerant and what type of oil to use in the system. The system has been open for however long it's been since the refrigerant leaked out so replace the accumulator/dryer.
The condenser will need about 2oz of oil.
For the accumulator drill a hole in the bottom and measure how much comes out plus about 2 oz.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

my recommendation as a mechanic would be to take it to a shop and have the system evacuated. do the work yourself and take it back to the shop, have it vacuumed and recharged. It will be safe in the fact that you won't be working on a pressurized system and when your all done you will have EXACTLY the correct amount of 134a in the system.

if you put too much refrigerant in the system you will experience odd ac issues and if its too little you won't get much cool air at all.
i had to evacuate and recharge the ac on a focus yesterday because they charged it themselves and it didn't work after. there was over 2 lbs in the system. it was supposed to hold 1.12lbs. once i recharged it with the correct amount, it blew icy cold!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
my recommendation as a mechanic would be to take it to a shop and have the system evacuated. do the work yourself and take it back to the shop, have it vacuumed and recharged. It will be safe in the fact that you won't be working on a pressurized system and when your all done you will have EXACTLY the correct amount of 134a in the system.

if you put too much refrigerant in the system you will experience odd ac issues and if its too little you won't get much cool air at all.
i had to evacuate and recharge the ac on a focus yesterday because they charged it themselves and it didn't work after. there was over 2 lbs in the system. it was supposed to hold 1.12lbs. once i recharged it with the correct amount, it blew icy cold!
^^^ This is what I did when I replaced my A/C compress/clutch.

I replaced it, the orifice tube and the receiver/drier (aka accumulator).

The only difference for me was after the shop evacuated the system for me and I performed the work, I borrowed my neighbors vacuum pump and pulled the vacuum myself. I then had the shop verify the integrity of the vacuum and my repairs before recharging it for me.

The total cost to me from the shop was $100, which was the cost of a A/C system check (69.99) plus the amount of Freon over 12 oz that was already included in the system check package.

A common failure point for an A/C system is overcharging of the system. It cause inefficient cooling and possibly blown seals. Also, if you have moisture in the system, the ENTIRE system will rot from the inside out.

Last edited by Derf00; 03-02-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Careless00045

You would over charge the system only if you don't know how much refrigerant need to be added in the system! mine should take 31OZ + the refrigerant oil witch i think should be a round 5 OZ after replacing the condenser and the dryer!
Sounds good ?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Nohippychicks

Originally Posted by Careless00045
Sounds good ?
No, sounds terrible.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Careless00045

Originally Posted by Nohippychicks
No, sounds terrible.
then tell me the right amounts ? specially after replacing the condenser ,the dryer and vacuuming, how much oil i need to add ?

Quick Reply: A/C condenser replacement