Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C condenser replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Nohippychicks

According to a quick search, it looks like 31 ounces of refrigerant.

How are you going to be sure you charge to the correct weight? Do you know for sure that your cans contain exactly the amount of refrigerant indicated? How much of it is oil? Can you be sure that your 1LB or refrigerant you put into the system is 0% oil? Weighing how much is installed into the system is the standard, but that's with a machine that starts with more than enough available charge, so you dont have to worry about how much total weight is can vs oil vs charge.

Except for R-12...in which case, we have it in small cans but we evacuate the small cans into a larger can in order to weigh it with our machine.

As a tangent, we found a whole PALLET of these things a few months ago:

As good as gold.

ANYHOW:

Doing what you're going to do isnt something I suggest, but I hope you have good luck with it!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Nohippychicks
No, sounds terrible.
Some people think they know better. Oh well, Looking forward to the follow-up thread...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Careless00045

Originally Posted by Nohippychicks
No, sounds terrible.
Do you even know the right amounts ? Seems like no body knows the correct amount! i have been searching and all i get is diff amount.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

it takes 1.63 lbs of 134a
there should be a sticker on the front trim covering the radiator.
i pulled this up off my mitchell program
Old 03-06-2015, 02:13 AM
Nohippychicks

Originally Posted by Careless00045
Do you even know the right amounts ?
Of course I don't know them, that's what reference material is for. I posted a link to some easy to read info, though. It was so you could click and read.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Careless00045

Guys ! just remember the point of this forums! Is to share info as users! and to avoid going to those ripoff Mechanics !!!!
So i'm not here to get answers like! You should not do this !! you should go to a ****in' pro!!
Anyways! i will let ya'll know how it will go with me.
This weekend i will get the job done.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Nohippychicks

The point is to get information, even if the information isn't to your liking. You wouldn't even go through the monumental effort of clicking on a link to get some information though, so what's your point?

Sometimes, you hear things like "You need special equipment and if you're even mildly interested in the longevity of your system you need to have a very minor portion of the work done by a professional with access to tools costing more than the value of your vehicle to make sure things work properly."

The install of the condenser isn't where your problem is going to lie; it's properly servicing your system.

Have you figured out how much oil goes in there and how you're going to measure it in there? Or how much you already have in there? 'cause no one here will be able to tell you that.

When you asked if the steps you outlined were correct and told that they were not, you refused to accept it. When you replace your condenser and service your system with your 3 cans, you'll likely have at least a marginally functioning system; you may even get close to a proper charge and have a system that works well, but the potential for causing more problems than you'll solve is also there and quite high.

Good luck with it, though!

Out of curiousity, how do you know where your leak is?
Old 03-06-2015, 04:38 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Guys ! just remember the point of this forums! Is to share info as users! and to avoid going to those ripoff Mechanics !!!!
So i'm not here to get answers like! You should not do this !! you should go to a ****in' pro!!
Anyways! i will let ya'll know how it will go with me.
This weekend i will get the job done.
We gave you advice, sorry it was not to your liking. I do refrigeration for a living, so I think I know a thing or two about this. Good luck on the repair.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Do you even know the right amounts ? Seems like no body knows the correct amount! i have been searching and all i get is diff amount.
Sure we do, as much as it takes to make the system run correctly. The specs you may find (and why you get so many different answers) is because the OEM spec is useless once you begin to repair a system that is broken. It's a guideline that only will be useful IF you have the proper equipment to check.

Do you even have a manifold gauge set? Do you know how to translate the different readings it gives as the system cycles on/off?

I'm all for DIY, shadetree mechanics, and the like (I am one too) but know your limits and know when to get professional help. If you don't understand that basic principle then you won't get the answer you're looking for here.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Careless00045

I bought all the needed tools for this job! Vacuum and the thing with the hoses.
I replaced the condenser then vacuumed ! and there was no leaks .
Then I replaced the dryer and vacuumed again for about 1 hour .
I drained whatever oil was in the old condenser and old dryer! to have an idea of how much oil i need to add! Then I charged the system with Refrigerant with the exact amount as the car Manuel said.
And yes i did not go to any ripoff "pro" ... and i did it all by my self!
Thanks to those who actually helped !
And those who think that they are some sergeants!! If you can do it! I can do even better than you !! *** yeaaaaah!!!

Quick Reply: A/C condenser replacement