Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint job repair and is this oil leak??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:08 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Default paint job repair and is this oil leak??

Name:  20150225_205846_zps3vtnauim.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  155.9 KB

i been living in this complex and been parking the car for 4 years and i said to my self this will never happen...but it did luckily i know that it did not go all the way to the metal. how do you guys fix these kind of scratches?

also where is this oil coming from? its not so much that it leaks through the floor, but it concerns me that its there and it seems to be pretty thick and wet.
Name:  20150128_200843_zpsoydluyk1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  108.6 KB
Name:  20150128_200827_zpsa68nzkta.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  99.4 KB
Old 03-07-2015, 09:38 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

For the scratch, I would use a quick detailer on the area with a microfiber to see how much comes off on it's own. Then I'd use a buffer to apply some Meguiar's Ultimate compound. Wipe that off and apply Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, and then wipe that off, and then apply Ultimate Wax.

I had a similar mark on my brand new 2014 GT in the same place that came off with just the use of some quick detailer. I think I got very lucky!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:39 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
For the scratch, I would use a quick detailer on the area with a microfiber to see how much comes off on it's own. Then I'd use a buffer to apply some Meguiar's Ultimate compound. Wipe that off and apply Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, and then wipe that off, and then apply Ultimate Wax.

I had a similar mark on my brand new 2014 GT in the same place that came off with just the use of some quick detailer. I think I got very lucky!
thats bro any recommendation on a good cheap buffer? i really don't know how to use them. are the machine for buffering and polish different?

glad urs came out good
Old 03-08-2015, 10:04 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
thats bro any recommendation on a good cheap buffer? i really don't know how to use them. are the machine for buffering and polish different?

glad urs came out good

I didn't buy one of those high-speed polishers the pros use. Rather, I use a $20 hand buffer from Walmart. It's a relatively low speed orbital buffer that shouldn't get you into any trouble as far as damaging your paint.

I mean something like this:
Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Basically, I think you'll want to work that damage in stages. First stage, just try to use some kind of detailing spray and a little pressure on a detailing towel to get as much of the paint transfer off. If there is still some paint transfer left, I'd then do the compound to help cut the rest of the paint transfer off. The polish is to smooth the paint afterwards and take out any find micro scratches. And then the wax will protect it. I recommend Meguiar's products, but only because I know them. I wanted something I could go to the store and purchase immediately when ever I wanted instead of having to order online. I also like their forum ( http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums )as it taught me A LOT about making my car shine! My car has a great reflection because of what I learned!

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:41 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Basically, I think you'll want to work that damage in stages. First stage, just try to use some kind of detailing spray and a little pressure on a detailing towel to get as much of the paint transfer off. If there is still some paint transfer left, I'd then do the compound to help cut the rest of the paint transfer off. The polish is to smooth the paint afterwards and take out any find micro scratches. And then the wax will protect it. I recommend Meguiar's products, but only because I know them. I wanted something I could go to the store and purchase immediately when ever I wanted instead of having to order online. I also like their forum ( http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums )as it taught me A LOT about making my car shine! My car has a great reflection because of what I learned!

Let us know how it turns out!
thanks bro, i will probably pick one of those buffer.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:05 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Here is a quick pic I snapped of the marks I had found on my car right before I got them it all off. Yours looks a bit more aggressive than mine and will probably require just a little more work.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I'd go with just your basic polishing sponge/hand buffer and microfiber towels instead of an electric buffer. It's a small area and those are really for covering large areas.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:25 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

well today i worked on the scratch and i manage to buff some of it out, but there still some that won't come off. i think the scratch went through the clear coat, i'm not really sure.
Name:  20150309_192735_zpsmddqmfrh.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  52.2 KB
Old 03-10-2015, 10:54 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Drag your fingernail across the surface. If you can really feel deep scratches, then it's through the clear coat. It looks better than when you started but it doesn't look great. Hopefully you can work more of it out! If not, a professional shop might be able to put a polisher on it with the right cutting disk to get rid of it. Fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: paint job repair and is this oil leak??