Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with MMD (American Muscle) pre-painted "matte" parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:29 AM
citylights

Default Help with MMD (American Muscle) pre-painted "matte" parts

Edit: I meant to edit out the company name from the title, but I totally forgot to before I submitted the thread, and now I can't remove it. So now I have to add this: American Muscle has been absolutely fantastic, and I'm set up to receive a replacement. My intention is to clear coat the replacement upon receiving it so this does not happen again.

-------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I was hoping someone(s) with hands on experience can chime in here.

I purchased a matte painted car mod that has been ruined upon coming into contact with goof-off. lol... The paint peeled off. The company has told me that these louvers were not clear coated, which I am guessing is why the paint peeled off.

I am going to need something more durable, like.... as durable as the paint of my car. I have used goof-off many times on my car with no harm to the paint, is this because of the car's clear coat? I want to be able to keep this mod on my car without worrying about them being so fragile. I want to be able to use goof-off on my vehicle without worrying, I want to be able to wax my vehicle, and use polishing compounds, etc.

So my question is.... can I spray these matte car mods with some automotive clear coat and call it a day? Will that cause the paint job on the to become protected like my car's paint is protected?

If yes, is there anything I should avoid? I have experience in working with acrylic paint, and I know that if the matte paint used is acrylic, I can spray acrylic over it without any harm. (If I coat it with enamel etc the acrylic will be eaten away). I have some Krylon fusion "non-yellowing" acrylic clear coat, would this suffice or should I pick up a different brand?

Last edited by citylights; 03-12-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by citylights
Edit: I meant to edit out the company name from the title, but I totally forgot to before I submitted the thread, and now I can't remove it. So now I have to add this: American Muscle has been absolutely fantastic, and I'm set up to receive a replacement. My intention is to clear coat the replacement upon receiving it so this does not happen again.

-------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I was hoping someone(s) with hands on experience can chime in here.

I purchased a matte painted car mod that has been ruined upon coming into contact with goof-off. lol... The paint peeled off. The company has told me that these louvers were not clear coated, which I am guessing is why the paint peeled off.

I am going to need something more durable, like.... as durable as the paint of my car. I have used goof-off many times on my car with no harm to the paint, is this because of the car's clear coat? I want to be able to keep this mod on my car without worrying about them being so fragile. I want to be able to use goof-off on my vehicle without worrying, I want to be able to wax my vehicle, and use polishing compounds, etc.

So my question is.... can I spray these matte car mods with some automotive clear coat and call it a day? Will that cause the paint job on the to become protected like my car's paint is protected?

If yes, is there anything I should avoid? I have experience in working with acrylic paint, and I know that if the matte paint used is acrylic, I can spray acrylic over it without any harm. (If I coat it with enamel etc the acrylic will be eaten away). I have some Krylon fusion "non-yellowing" acrylic clear coat, would this suffice or should I pick up a different brand?
Hey City,

I appreciate the kind words but am sorry that you're dealing with a few issues.

What louvers did you go with? In most cases, matte black is not clear coated as the clear coat will provide a shine with it, which would then take away from the matte effect.

Regardless, if you could, shoot me over a PM with some more info as I want to make sure that you're taken care of.

Looking forward to hearing back.

-Will