Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT/CS Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:24 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Default GT/CS Rear Bumper

Long story short, someone hit me while my car was parked during the last snowfall we had here. (She tried to drive away, but her car broke down.) After call after call to the girl who hit me, she finally answered and gave me her CORRECT insurance information.

It's been back and forth between me, the insurance company, and the girl. She refused to call and report it. Without that, my car was just sitting.

They quoted me with a used rear bumper, which obviously I don't want. I figured it's time for an upgrade. Going with the very popular GT/CS bumper cover. However, I don't know how I want it painted. I want to leave the middle section black, but am unsure if I should do it matte or gloss. I'm thinking gloss, maybe to match the eventual stripes I will have.

Does anyone have any input on this? Or suggestions on how to go about it? I have a little bit of time before I sign the work to do the car, and order the part.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I don't know about the laws in your state but in Texas that's not too kindly thought of and law enforcement should have already been involved. If she's providing you with false info I would encourage you to explore that route. I have no tolerance for liars and people that can't be bothered to maintain insurance / financial responsibility.

As far as the painting, do what you think you'll like to see every day on your car. I like the idea of carrying the stripes all the way down though.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I don't know about the laws in your state but in Texas that's not too kindly thought of and law enforcement should have already been involved. If she's providing you with false info I would encourage you to explore that route. I have no tolerance for liars and people that can't be bothered to maintain insurance / financial responsibility.

As far as the painting, do what you think you'll like to see every day on your car. I like the idea of carrying the stripes all the way down though.
I called the cops when it happened when she originally didn't have any of her insurance info. She then gave me the wrong info, including the wrong company. I called her every hour on the hour until she finally gave me the right info. The car is getting fixed, so as long as it is back to normal conditions, i'm not worried about anything.

The one thing that i'm upset about is that I have to pay the collision center about $85 for the tire that she popped. The estimator said they wouldn't pay for a new tire. Totally understand that, but I really don't want to pay out of pocket. On the upside, I am getting both rear tires brand new since Ford recommends you replace both.

Back to the bumper: I've been wanting to do stripes on the car for the longest time. I always have wanted them to go from the front all the way down the back. I don't think i've seen a glossy diffuser, so that's what has me a little worried about doing it. I think it would look good, but every car I see has the matte finish on it.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:44 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Mine is painted gloss it's hard to see though because of shadowing

Disregard the two different tip sizes. I was comparing the stock rolled tip vs the pypes delete tip
Old 03-18-2015, 12:03 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

IMO Leave the diffuser matte black.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Or extend the matte black all the way around like the GT500

Name:  rear_zps53b5d136.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  161.0 KB
Old 03-19-2015, 06:03 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I've got the same bumper. Keep in mind that the whole lower portion of the bumper is textured so it's pretty difficult to get it right. I'd say keep it unpainted.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:26 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yep. The texturized part is made to stay mate black, hence the texture.
A gloss finish will take a schit load of coat of paint to get the desired shine IMO and you'd have too much material in the process, which isn't good.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayPony
Or extend the matte black all the way around like the GT500
I hadn't considered painting it all around. Your car pulls it off very nice!! I don't know if mine would have the same effect.

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I've got the same bumper. Keep in mind that the whole lower portion of the bumper is textured so it's pretty difficult to get it right. I'd say keep it unpainted.
Originally Posted by pascal
Yep. The texturized part is made to stay mate black, hence the texture.
A gloss finish will take a schit load of coat of paint to get the desired shine IMO and you'd have too much material in the process, which isn't good.
I honestly didn't know that the bottom portion was textured. I haven't seen one of these bumpers in person. Is it just the part that's between the tailpipes or all the way around like where GrayPony's has his painted?

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Mine is painted gloss it's hard to see though because of shadowing
Thanks for the picture! How hard was it for your body shop (or you) to get the finish right?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Graypony's isn't painted, he just left the whole bottom portion unpainted. The textured portion extends the entire way around the bottom of the bumper.

Quick Reply: GT/CS Rear Bumper