Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with budget - 07 GT to be Turbo'd soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 AM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Don't take my word for it. Go to S197.com and ask them their opinion. Lots of turbo guys there with tons more expertise than the great majority of people here.
Your recommendation is much appreciated. I have been talking to some guys over there (s197forum.com) and I think I will be going with S&H Performance. While it doesn't have bling in the engine bay, it is a more efficient and smarter design, so not very hard to decide on which to go with. It also uses a COMP turbo rather than Turbonetics. Depending on what happens, I'll post a followup.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:28 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Even though it's a liquid cooled turbo and doesn't have oiling issues, I'm not a fan of the "stealth" mounting. Access is a PITA even to just change air filters let alone having to swap wastegates or a turbo if the need should arise. It's interesting that they claim no ground clearance issues, but the turbo and piping clearly hang lower than anything else in the neighborhood. It looks to me like a sharp speed bump in the grocery store parking lot could ruin your day real quick. Especially if you are on lowering springs. What is the total cost once you factor in their fancy intercooler/radiator support, fuel upgrades, and tuner?

From their website....I just don't see how they can claim to have no clearance issues.
http://www.sandhperformance.com/wp-c...pstnh6uduh.jpg

It may be the bee's knee's, but it's less than ideal IMO. It's not a kit that is very common, and you aren't going to find much experience or tech support for it on the forums or in the tuner shops. Getting it in your hands and even installed is the easy part, but when something goes wrong and you are rocking a kit that no-one else uses, your tuner has no experience with, and the $$$ start to add up, the more mainstream kits start to look pretty good.

This is the third kit you've mentioned in this thread. It's starting to sound like your goal is to add a turbo, any turbo, at the lowest possible price. TALK TO YOUR TUNER!!!! and make it clear what your goals are BEFORE you set a budget!!! If you have to wait a few extra months to save up, it's worth getting it right the first time.

What does the builder you are going to use suggest? Have you discussed it with him yet? That's really where you need to start. Don't buy a kit because it fits your budget. Buy a kit that will accomplish your goals with the car AND have support when something goes wrong.

Everyone's opinion will differ, but I think either of the THP kits (single or twin) are the best available choices for off-the-self turbos. Since most of the available turbo kits will require some level of customization, I would find someone who specializes in turbo builds and have him do it right.

In case the point hasn't been hammered enough yet, here are three very clear tips regarding any turbo build:
1) TALK TO YOUR TUNER!!!
2) TALK TO YOUR TUNER!!!
3) TALK TO YOUR TUNER!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by breathegood
What does the builder you are going to use suggest? Have you discussed it with him yet? That's really where you need to start. Don't buy a kit because it fits your budget. Buy a kit that will accomplish your goals with the car AND have support when something goes wrong.

Everyone's opinion will differ, but I think either of the THP kits (single or twin) are the best available choices for off-the-self turbos. Since most of the available turbo kits will require some level of customization, I would find someone who specializes in turbo builds and have him do it right.
I closed the deal! After talking with both Bob and Jeremy at S&H Performance, and also doing a bunch of research, I am happy to have made the purchase. I had looked into THP, and the kit does look good, but I was hesitant about mild steel, and old turbo tech. S&H Performance's set was higher priced, but will hopefully be worth it.

So here is the list, along with some stuff from AmericanMuscle.com

- 409 Stainless Steel Turbo Kit with 70mm Comp Oil-less water cooled triple bearing turbo
- Racing Fuel Pump
- 60lb Fuel Injectors
- Steeda Billet Charge Motion Control Plate
- Ford Racing (Blue) Laser Etched Valve Covers
- McLeod RST Twin Disc Clutch
- Exedy Lightweight Racing Steel Flywheel
- Ford Racing 0-Degree Spark Plugs
- Ford Racing Boost Gauge
- Aeroforce single Interceptor Digital Gauge
- Speed of Sound Dual Gauge Pillar, Dark Charcoal

Last edited by raredesign; 04-20-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:41 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Seems like a kit with room to grow and everything needed. Looking forward to seeing the results and a few dyno sheets.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:25 PM
m2motorsportinc

"The turbo it comes with will get you the power you want. If you ever rebuild the engine and want more power you'll need more turbo to take advantage of a built motor. I would consider the 68mm." Good to know mrr wheels
Old 12-06-2019, 09:21 AM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Seems like a kit with room to grow and everything needed. Looking forward to seeing the results and a few dyno sheets.
Originally Posted by m2motorsportinc
"The turbo it comes with will get you the power you want. If you ever rebuild the engine and want more power you'll need more turbo to take advantage of a built motor. I would consider the 68mm." Good to know mrr wheels
So much has changed since that time. I stripped the car down and started a full build. You can check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/S197Build