Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Mustang GT Catalytic Removal Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 AM
wishinsky
2nd Gear Member

Default 2013 Mustang GT Catalytic Removal Help!!!!

I am installing Pypes Cat delete pypes.

I am having trouble with the passenger side catalytic nut where its held on at the header. I tired using my 90 lbs PSI air ratchet but couldn't break it. I Put the car on Jack stands and heated it from the bottom. (I must need more heat, I applied for 5 minutes 2-3 times in between attempts-I will have to get it glowing red?) I took off my Strut tower brace and was able to reach with about 18" of extensions. Put the breaker bar on it and gave it some torque...Snapped all three of my Universal Joints. Tomorrow I will have to switch from a 3/8" to 1/2" drivers (I would have used 1/2 but I didn't have enough extensions)

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Mustang GT Catalytic Removal Help!!!!-11079623_10153225767536337_365388486095508953_n.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wishinsky

I am having trouble with the passenger side catalytic nut where its held on at the header. I tired using my 90 lbs PSI air ratchet but couldn't break it. I Put the car on Jack stands and heated it from the bottom. (I must need more heat, I applied for 5 minutes 2-3 times in between attempts-I will have to get it glowing red?) I took off my Strut tower brace and was able to reach with about 18" of extensions. Put the breaker bar on it and gave it some torque...Snapped all three of my Universal Joints. Tomorrow I will have to switch from a 3/8" to 1/2" drivers (I would have used 1/2 but I didn't have enough extensions)

Any suggestions?
Okay so spray some PB blaster or WD40 and let it sit. In the mean time not only should ou remove the strut tower brace, but remove your battery and battery box completely. This will give you better access to the area. Definitely use 1/2" ratchet set. If I remember correctly I had my buddy under it lining me up ensuring it stayed seated. It was a pain at 6000 miles to get it off. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:20 AM
jckennell

Yes on the PB Blaster. Aero Kroil if you can find it. 1/2 impact gun with 1 long extension if you can find one. The less extensions the better so it doesn't lose torque through the joints of each extension. And a SIX POINT socket. Do NOT use a 12 point socket unless you want to strip it out. Removing the strut brace and battery will create more room, but I didn't need to with mine.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:45 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jckennell
Yes on the PB Blaster. Aero Kroil if you can find it. 1/2 impact gun with 1 long extension if you can find one. The less extensions the better so it doesn't lose torque through the joints of each extension. And a SIX POINT socket. Do NOT use a 12 point socket unless you want to strip it out. Removing the strut brace and battery will create more room, but I didn't need to with mine.
I second the 6 point socket!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Let it soak in PB Blaster/Kroil like others have said. I also broke multiple 3/8" tools before learning that 1/2" is the way to go. The bolt was soaking in PB Blaster while I went to hardware store to get 1/2" tools and the nut came loose when I got back from store. Also, it felt like an eternity of holding the impact wrench on the nut before it came loose so hold it for a good while.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

use a good 1/2" impact, with an impact swivel (not one of the chrome pieces of junk) and 1 extension that is long enough to reach. this will minimize the twist and will get more torque to the fastener.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by wishinsky

Any suggestions?
Are using an impact gut or air ratchet? Two totally different things.

An Air ratchet will at most provide 40-50 ft/lbs of breaking torque. Nowhere near enough to break loose an exhaust bolt.

An Impact gun will typically provide in excesss of 150 ft/lbs+ of breaking torque.

Keep in mind the extension will take away some of the power of the gun so make sure it's a tight fit on the gun's nose and if you use a swivel, keep it as straight as possible. Personally I would use a wobble extension at most or just do it by hand, but that's just me.

6 pt socket (preferably impact rated) is best, otherwise you may shatter even the best 6 point chromolly.

If all you have is chromolly sockets, whichever one you use, wrap it in duct tape. If it shatters, it will prevent it from throwing shrapnel.

Last edited by Derf00; 03-30-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:36 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Any luck with the suggestions above?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Are using an impact gut or air ratchet? Two totally different things.

An Air ratchet will at most provide 40-50 ft/lbs of breaking torque. Nowhere near enough to break loose an exhaust bolt.

An Impact gun will typically provide in excesss of 150 ft/lbs+ of breaking torque.

Keep in mind the extension will take away some of the power of the gun so make sure it's a tight fit on the gun's nose and if you use a swivel, keep it as straight as possible. Personally I would use a wobble extension at most or just do it by hand, but that's just me.

6 pt socket (preferably impact rated) is best, otherwise you may shatter even the best 6 point chromolly.

If all you have is chromolly sockets, whichever one you use, wrap it in duct tape. If it shatters, it will prevent it from throwing shrapnel.
All good points, and nice catch. Big difference between air ratchet and air impact.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Had the same problem. I had buggered up that one nut pretty good because I couldn't get a good grip on it. Took my car to an exhaust shop and paid $40 to have that one nut removed. Drove it back home and did the rest myself.

Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang GT Catalytic Removal Help!!!!