Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT-82 Not going into 4th Gear and Making Noise

Old 04-01-2015, 01:01 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by om3n
that's actually not my car, that's a random youtube video I found where it's loud enough to clearly hear, but mine also sounded exactly like this.

And, if I correctly understand how the trans works, it still makes sense for it to be the input shaft bearing if it makes the noise with the clutch engaged and in neutral and not when it's disengaged. The input shaft bearing will spin even if the car is in neutral, as long as the clutch is engaged.
Yeah, based on the research that I have done you are correct.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:14 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Update on the transmission.

The bad news is that I have a throwout bearing and pilot bearing issue that is causing the whining noise. The other bad news is that they aren't sure exactly why the car is not shifting right. However, the good news, I am covered completely under warranty. I was told they would open up the trans today and let me know.

There are 2 things that could be causing the shift problems. I forget right now what they are and I will update when I get more news. Basically, if 'A' is causing the problem then I am covered under powertrain warranty. If 'B' is causing the problem then I am covered under the ExtraCare plan that I bought and I will get a loaner vehicle to drive until the car is fixed.

Loaner vehicle or not I am breathing a huge sigh of relief that it is covered. I'll post more info when I get it.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 AM
om3n

Originally Posted by BrazenStang

The bad news is that I have a throwout bearing and pilot bearing issue that is causing the whining noise. The other bad news is that they aren't sure exactly why the car is not shifting right. However, the good news, I am covered completely under warranty. I was told they would open up the trans today and let me know.

There are 2 things that could be causing the shift problems. I forget right now what they are and I will update when I get more news. Basically, if 'A' is causing the problem then I am covered under powertrain warranty. If 'B' is causing the problem then I am covered under the ExtraCare plan that I bought and I will get a loaner vehicle to drive until the car is fixed.

Loaner vehicle or not I am breathing a huge sigh of relief that it is covered. I'll post more info when I get it.

Nice, I had to go to a couple dealerships to find one that would cover mine under warranty, that was the hardest part for me.

Hopefully they replace a bunch of stuff for you with newer components- and if you have a lot of miles, now might be a good opportunity for them to replace the clutch with the trans out for significantly less cost (but still out of your own pocket). I was going to have them put a 2014 clutch and flywheel in mine (for ~ $700) but it was going to be another 2 weeks, and after 4 weeks of waiting I aborted on that plan- and I only had 40K miles, so even with aggressive driving I should still have plenty of life.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:49 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Great! Thank you for the update, BrazenStang!

Deysha
Old 04-09-2015, 05:57 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by om3n
Nice, I had to go to a couple dealerships to find one that would cover mine under warranty, that was the hardest part for me.

Hopefully they replace a bunch of stuff for you with newer components- and if you have a lot of miles, now might be a good opportunity for them to replace the clutch with the trans out for significantly less cost (but still out of your own pocket). I was going to have them put a 2014 clutch and flywheel in mine (for ~ $700) but it was going to be another 2 weeks, and after 4 weeks of waiting I aborted on that plan- and I only had 40K miles, so even with aggressive driving I should still have plenty of life.
Yeah. I am going to speak with the service manager today in person to go through the list of problems/fixes. With 50K miles on the car I will be sure to ask about clutch and flywheel.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:30 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

The car will be done today or tomorrow. I have been down to the service center and got the chance to speak directly to the technician working on my car.

The whine was addressed by changing the throwout bearing and pilot bearing. If there are any other noises they will be diagnosed once the trans is back in, but I am confident that those were the issue.

The shifting troubles were related to the short shifter that I installed on the car. There are four bolts on the underside of the sifter. One of them was backed out which was getting in the way of shifts. The bolts were loctited, screwed back in and it should be good to go. I definitely should have checked to make sur ethey were tight when I installed it, but I didn't. I'm just glad that it didn't do any damage to anything else.

The clutch and flywheel were inspected and there is plenty of life left and a normal wear pattern so they will be left as is. That pretty much covers it.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

The car will be done today or tomorrow. I have been down to the service center and got the chance to speak directly to the technician working on my car.

The whine was addressed by changing the throwout bearing and pilot bearing. If there are any other noises they will be diagnosed once the trans is back in, but I am confident that those were the issue.

The shifting troubles were related to the short shifter that I installed on the car. There are four bolts on the underside of the sifter. One of them was backed out which was getting in the way of shifts. The bolts were loctited, screwed back in and it should be good to go. I definitely should have checked to make sur ethey were tight when I installed it, but I didn't. I'm just glad that it didn't do any damage to anything else.

The clutch and flywheel were inspected and there is plenty of life left and a normal wear pattern so they will be left as is. That pretty much covers it.
Thanks again, BrazenStang!

Deysha
Old 04-14-2015, 09:37 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Figures, I spoke too soon. The transmission was still whining during road test. They are taking it back out and going to go farther. Maybe this time they'll do input shaft bearing? I'll post when I know.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:56 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I spoke with the Service Dept. at my dealership today. They planned to replace internal bearing on the transmission. During teardown the output shaft was damaged. They had to order this part also, but unfortunately it is a 30-day lead time on this particular part. SO, they have escalated my issue higher up in Ford. They requested that Ford allow them to install a brand-new transmission because of the lead time on the part. They are also trying to get Ford to authorize a loaner vehicle for me until my car is repaired.

This is disappointing to say the least, but based on conversations I have had with the service department they are doing everything they can to make this situation better as soon as possible, so I am at least happy in that regard. I am also amazed that Ford doesn't have these parts in a warehouse somewhere. That seems ridiculous, 30 days for a transmission part?! Probably Getrag's fault, if so, they suck.

Last edited by BrazenStang; 04-18-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: 'out'put not 'in'put
Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i would kick up a fuss and demand a new box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MT-82 Not going into 4th Gear and Making Noise