Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT-82 Not going into 4th Gear and Making Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:57 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Default MT-82 Not going into 4th Gear and Making Noise

This problem seems to have popped up out of the blue. I have called the dealership and scheduled an appt. Earliest available is next monday. In the meantime I want to find out if anybody else has these problems or has ever experienced. My car, 2012 GT MT-82 with ~48K miles.

I was driving about 1 mile from my job yesterday at lunch and when I shifted the car into 4th gear it got kicked out as I was releasing the clutch. When I got where I was going, the car would only go about halfway into 4th gear. On the drive home I got to shift more and see what was going on. During normal operation, the car would only go about halfway into 4th gear. The car also kicked the shifter out of 4th gear when I was trying to shift normally. I noticed more notchiness in all gears. Also, I could muscle the car all of the way into 4th gear by starting in neutral and giving it a really firm yank. Moving it out of 4th gear was much more difficult as well. The car would not normally go into 4th gear no matter what RPMs, speed, etc. it would only go partway, even sitting still. It felt like there was something in the gate blocking me from 4th gear.

Also, when I pulled into the garage at home the car was making a whining or whirring noise. With the gear shifter in neutral and the clutch released I heard the noise. Then when I pushed the clutch it went away. I did this a few times to confirm that pushing the clutch made it go away. Anyone think these are related? Separate?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
This problem seems to have popped up out of the blue. I have called the dealership and scheduled an appt. Earliest available is next monday. In the meantime I want to find out if anybody else has these problems or has ever experienced. My car, 2012 GT MT-82 with ~48K miles. ...
Glad to learn you've already made an appointment, BrazenStang. Be sure to let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

sounds like a possible input shaft bearing between the input and output shafts, if that bearing goes bad the 2 shafts start to drag on one another making smooth shifts a thing of the past, it may also make noise till u push the clutch in. a teardown will be required, unfortunately alot of the internal parts are on back order, i just got my 3-4 syncro yesterday, took 2 weeks. good luck
Old 03-31-2015, 09:17 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I hate to state the obvious, but oh well. It is clear your car does not want to be in 4th gear. If she doesn't want to be manhandled by you just skip her and go for 5th!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 AM
om3n

The whirring sound it makes, does it sound kind of like super charger whine?

If so, this is a common and pretty serious issue, and as the above guy said, is related to the input shaft bearing going bad and will require a ton of work. I just had my dealer repair mine last fall under warranty and he replaced a ton of stuff- and be advised, it took over a month for them to finish the job and get all the parts needed.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

sounds real bad dude..tbh the boxes on these cars are shoite.
that's why i prefer an auto mustang
Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 AM
om3n

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
sounds real bad dude..tbh the boxes on these cars are shoite.
that's why i prefer an auto mustang
Yeah early MT-82's seem to be hit or miss unfortunately. However, it seems that most guys who have the early MT-82's who get them repaired tend to not have problems after, which is good. Note I'm only saying that as a guy who's experienced the issue and did a lot of forum research on it, not on any official figures from Ford or anything like that.

To comment on the manual auto thing, I personally will only ever own manual Mustangs, shoddy trans quality or not. This is a drivers car, and for me it removes about 75% of the fun without the control you get from the shifter. This is coming from a guy who's owned both manual and auto stangs.

on a less serious note:
Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by om3n

2011 Mustang GT - Shifter/Gear Whine - YouTube

If so, this is a common and pretty serious issue, and as the above guy said, is related to the input shaft bearing going bad and will require a ton of work. I just had my dealer repair mine last fall under warranty and he replaced a ton of stuff- and be advised, it took over a month for them to finish the job and get all the parts needed.

yep, just got the one im rebuilding done today, 4 weeks later, parts on back order, but getrag makes the trans not ford, so not sure where the failure in parts supply is.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by om3n

Son of a.... I do have that exact noise. It is not as loud as your car in that video, but I do have exactly that. The whining noise that I was describing can be heard audibly inside and outside of the car while sitting still with car in neutral. It goes away when I push the clutch pedal in. Would the throwout bearing make that noise?

I'm a manual only kind of guy also. I love being able to shift through the gears. Its more work, but it keeps me entertained while driving. Sounds like I better have something else to keep me entertained while my car is being diagnosed/repaired!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:13 AM
om3n

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Son of a.... I do have that exact noise. It is not as loud as your car in that video, but I do have exactly that. The whining noise that I was describing can be heard audibly inside and outside of the car while sitting still with car in neutral. It goes away when I push the clutch pedal in. Would the throwout bearing make that noise?

I'm a manual only kind of guy also. I love being able to shift through the gears. Its more work, but it keeps me entertained while driving. Sounds like I better have something else to keep me entertained while my car is being diagnosed/repaired!

that's actually not my car, that's a random youtube video I found where it's loud enough to clearly hear, but mine also sounded exactly like this.

And, if I correctly understand how the trans works, it still makes sense for it to be the input shaft bearing if it makes the noise with the clutch engaged and in neutral and not when it's disengaged. The input shaft bearing will spin even if the car is in neutral, as long as the clutch is engaged.

Quick Reply: MT-82 Not going into 4th Gear and Making Noise