Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Replacing lower deflector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Default DIY - Replacing lower deflector?

So after backing out of a couple parking spots and the front bumper / deflector catching the curb, ripping the deflector partially out, I didn't have time to repair it, so I just tucked it back in the bumper holding on by one bolt until I could find time to really deal with it. Well, Sunday as I was on the highway (I10 has a speed limit of 80 mph) heading back to Austin from a camping trip, the wind caught it and it started catching the road. I initially thought I got a flat tire, it was that bad.

Has anyone attempted to install one of those before and have any pointers? I'm thinking about trying to do it myself. I also want to either build myself a couple ramps or buy a pair to be able to do this.

The deflector is # 6 in in the image below

Thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I know I've done that job, but there wasn't anything any more memorable about it than the fact that I had to do it once. A few bolts, and the deflector goes above the bumper cover or whatever plastic piece is in front of it. You'll be fine.

Norm
Old 04-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Some of the screws that hold it in go through the bumper cover at the front. If it tore the bumper when they came out, you're gonna have to put some new holes in your bumper, but you can probably keep your deflector. If it tore out of the deflector, you're in good shape. Just make sure you get the clips the screws pass through, if you lost them when it came apart.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:51 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Last time I priced planks at Home Depot it was cheaper to just buy the rhino ramps, but I was too nervous about the front end scraping on them!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I still haven't gotten under the car to see what bolts/screws I need to replace but yeah I can definitely tell you that at least one of the holes in the deflector got ripped open on the back side of it closest to the radiator. I just found an ebay seller that is selling them for $36 new instead of the $59 Tousley and other online parts stores are selling it for.

As far as the ramp goes. Yeah, the light weight of the Rhino would be nice, but I also know that the angle will probably be wrong, plus I see stories of it sliding, where-as the home-made versions won't, using 2x10's. The downside of the 2x10's is that they will be heavy.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

I replaced the one my '09. It will take you about 30 minutes. Couple of bolts and some push-pins. I bought some Rhino type ramps a couple of years ago. They have rubber blocks on the bottom to keep them from sliding. They work great and are much lighter than equal size wood ramps.

Keep in mind the one you are buying on ebay is most likely not Ford OEM. Probably just fine for this application.

Last edited by roegs; 04-08-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I had mine fly off while doing somewhere around 160, just replaced it with an APR wind splitter, lot's of attachment points and covers the same area onder the car. It's not coming off, verified to darn close to 200MPH.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:57 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

My brother-in-law’s GT500 has a similar problem, but the metal clips that attach the deflector are gone or broken. Like the ones on the back (motor side) of the deflector that go into the blind square holes in one of the metal support brackets. I think it’s #9 on the OP’s image. A nut & bolt won’t work because I can’t get up in the hole to hold the nut in place. Any ideas on where to cheaply pick up replacements? Thanks...
Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
My brother-in-law’s GT500 has a similar problem, but the metal clips that attach the deflector are gone or broken. Like the ones on the back (motor side) of the deflector that go into the blind square holes in one of the metal support brackets. I think it’s #9 on the OP’s image. A nut & bolt won’t work because I can’t get up in the hole to hold the nut in place. Any ideas on where to cheaply pick up replacements? Thanks...
You can usually pick these up at a local auto parts store like O'Reilly...

U Nuts

...and take one with you when you go to get'em!

Last edited by waykooljr; 04-09-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I'm waiting to get a ramp before I really dig into this project. Still trying to decide the route I want to go.

I ran a flat piece of wood from the bottom of my tire straight to the bumper, it was a borderline 18 degree angle according to my iphone. The Rhino Ramp description on Autozones website says it is 17%. I don't see that as a problem going up the ramps, but do going down them. Would have to go down very slowly so that the suspension does not compress. As far as them slipping, there are many ways around that to keep the ramps from slipping, just put carpet underneath, or I could even put a 2x4 between the ramp and a short step i have in the garage. Or maybe even a better rubber underneath. Very easy.

Quick Reply: DIY - Replacing lower deflector?