Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Replacing lower deflector?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:36 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Murphdog, you could take a 1” or 2” piece of 2x8 with a long nail or bolt in the middle of one end. Then stick the nail/bolt into the whole in the bottom of the ramp to extend the ramp out. I’m not explaining it very well, but it works great with my brother-in-laws GT500 and my Rino ramps. You could change the angle by drilling a new hole into the ramp somewhere up the ramp and sticking the nail/bolt in the new hole.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:10 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

What functionally do you lose without that deflector? Are you creating more drag under the car? Changing the drag coefficient? Hurting the gas mileage? When I installed my whipple I took it off and to be honest forgot to put it back on, and now I've just been to lazy to do it. Is it hurting me that bad?

I am about to pull off the front fascia to put a gt500 front spoiler on it, and smoked headlights... so I will probably replace it at that time.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I don't want things flying up and putting dents/holes into my radiator, for one.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:28 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murphdog
I don't want things flying up and putting dents/holes into my radiator, for one.
That's the main issue. There's very little aero difference without it, if anything lower aero drag, but you can definitely see that things hit the radiator(s) while it was unprotected.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
What functionally do you lose without that deflector? Are you creating more drag under the car? Changing the drag coefficient? Hurting the gas mileage? When I installed my whipple I took it off and to be honest forgot to put it back on, and now I've just been to lazy to do it. Is it hurting me that bad?
I wonder what the effect on things like coolant temperatures and remaining margin on radiator heat rejection has been.

Norm
Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I would expect the temps to be lower with the deflector, but not enough to show up on the temp gauge in the dash. From my higher then average, but not expert, knowledge of aerodynamics the deflector allows the air to be funneled through the radiator and into the engine bay for additional engine cooling. Without it some of the air will go through the radiator and some of it will hit the radiator and flow down underneath the car. Air, like water & electricity, will flow through the path of least resistance which is down the radiator and underneath the car. The deflector also has the very real benefit of helping prevent debris from getting up into the engine bay, hitting the radiator, pulleys, hoses and/or belt(s).

On my brother-in-laws GT500 the deflector attaches to the cross member behind/below the radiator & to the back of the chin spoiler. With it attached it pushes the spoiler/bumper forward slightly. So the deflector may provide some structural support functionality too.