Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life of filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Want to do my taxes for me? lol

Enjoy your filter.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Taxes, now talk about the cost of time is money! lol

I'm not advocating one way or the other, cause basically it comes down to saving about $2 a year theoretically lol, which really isnt a big number in the end. I apologize if I came off sounding all smart assy, I didnt mean to. I had a Present Value table next to me on my desk and I was crunchin the numbers for the fun of it anyway :P In the end, I believe your right, it really dosn't matter as long as what you get works and it gets maintained properly. But thanks Cruisin for all the help and tips!

Last edited by Mobiusone stang; 04-14-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

You do not need to buy the recharge kit. the oil isnt necessary, if it was it would be on all filters.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Nohippychicks

All filters aren't oiled cotton reusable filters.

Trying to talk about how much money you'll save with a reusable filter over the life of the loan on your car doesnt make sense. Stepping out of the bounds of the thread, but keeping with the spirit of its direction, having a car payment doesn't make ANY financial sense and trying to justify the cost of a reusable filter doesn't make up for the difference in interest that compounds over your loan.

If you like the reusable, use the reusable. I was pointing out that whenever I cleaned the ones I had, I hadn't considered the time to dry the thing out and swapping a paper filter is much faster and easier.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Not all reusable cotton filters are oiled. the oil is a selling point to make it seem like there is an advantage of their filter over a non oiled filter.

My k&n filter was oiled and my BBK was not, does that make one better than the other? No, it just shows that oil isnt needed. Therefore it doesnt need tyo included in the cost of filter upkeep.

If you dont have time to wait on a filter to dry, then wash it before you go to bed. shake out as much water as possible an reinstall. by the time you wake up it should be dry. and you lost ZERO time.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 04-15-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

For some of us, sadly a loan is the best, or only direction for not only a car, but other aspects of life like school. I'm with you it does not make financial sense at all, but sadly its all i could do. And again, I was just playing around with financial concepts to see if i could apply them to something that costs $60. It worked in theory, but like i said, not in practice. There is not enough one way or the other to advocate either choice. Yes, its silly to apply something like this over the life of the car, but i was just having fun with it. I've had both a K&N and a paper filter, and i felt as if they were both as easy to change and maintain.