Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life of filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Life of filters

Hey guys

So i just got my oil changed at my local dealer, and they "recommended" a few things. First, they stated i needed a new air filter and they would happily do it for $50. I said no thank you (I was laughing inside, for something i could do in 3 min for $15) and moved on. My car has 22K on the clock, and i have to go with the assumption that the previous owner never changed the filter, so every 20k or so sounds about right. Plus, its not that expensive.

But my real question lies in, what is the expected life of a cabin air filter? My dealer also would happily replace my for $70. Is it around 20K as well? How hard would it be to replace myself?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2015, 10:21 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Kudos for not letting them bend you over the counter with that $50. They are really trying to double-screw you with the $70 for the cabin air filter.

When it comes to air filters there really is not an expected life (in my mind). If you live in a dusty area then the filter will require replacement much faster than a car in a non-dusty area. Common sense.

Note, for everything I've said so far it applies to cabin air filter and the air intake filter. The cabin filter is JUST AS EASY to replace as the intake filter and they are pretty cheap (I have mine auto-delivered every three months from Amazon). There's a few instructional videos on YouTube to show you what to do and exactly where the release pins are located. Super easy.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Here's a how-to on changing the cabin air filter: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/S197-Mustang-Cabin-Filter-Install-05-14
Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

As clearly listed in the owners manual under scheduled maintenance, yes 20,000 mile is the interval for cabin filter replacement.

For how to do it, go to local auto parts store, and but a repair manual for the make, model, and year of vehicle you own.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Sweet! Thanks! Do you recommend any brands for the cabin filter? Right now Houston has a ton of construction and dust, so for $15 for a motorcraft filter is something im willing to splurge on haha. With markups like those, i'm thinking i should open up a dealership! (They are a great dealer though)
Old 04-12-2015, 10:29 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
Sweet! Thanks! Do you recommend any brands for the cabin filter? Right now Houston has a ton of construction and dust, so for $15 for a motorcraft filter is something im willing to splurge on haha. With markups like those, i'm thinking i should open up a dealership! (They are a great dealer though)
You are putting way too much thought into this process. Just buy a filter. If you have the money to spend, then get a better quality one. it's just an air filter - not rocket science.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
As clearly listed in the owners manual under scheduled maintenance, yes 20,000 mile is the interval for cabin filter replacement.

For how to do it, go to local auto parts store, and but a repair manual for the make, model, and year of vehicle you own.
+1 for him needing the read the manual.
-1 for telling him to buy the repair manual for something so simple as changing an air filter.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:37 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

I'm a firm believer a repair manual should be the first mod purchased with any new vehicle.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Yea, I never bought like one of those Hanes manual for my newedge, regretted it a few times so its on my list for sure.

And true Crusin! Cabin filters are way down on the list of VERY IMPORTANT YOU MUST HAVE THIS FILTER filter in a car haha
Old 04-13-2015, 05:19 AM
Nohippychicks

As for the manual, Haynes and Chiltons have slipped in content in the past several years. The new edition for my 79 Bronco has no torques and is about 1/2 the thickness of the one I bought 10 years ago.

For a modest investment of around $15.oo, you can go to E-bay and get a DVD of an actual Ford repair manual; this allows you to print reference pages and not have to deal with greasy thumb prints on an original.

It also gives you part numbers, an illustrated parts catalogue and all kinds of other goodies.

Quick Reply: Life of filters