Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Rattle from back end driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:50 PM
KonaBlue11

Default Help, Rattle from back end driving me nuts

I have an early 2011 convertible v6 with about 97000km (57000miles). I have a rattle coming from somewhere in the back end. It seem to only happen on uneven bumps (is when the left or right goes over a speed bump or even small bumps. Have taken everything out of the trunk except the spare. But I have removed it and then made sure it was tighten down. I've shakened the exhaust and checked the shocks. Has anyone had something like what I'm hearing?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:23 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I haven't, but obviously there's something causing that rattle. Just keep at it until you find it. There's no way someone here can tell you what's rattling - you're the one there by your car with the ability to isolate the source of the sound.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:53 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by KonaBlue11
I have an early 2011 convertible v6 with about 97000km (57000miles). I have a rattle coming from somewhere in the back end. It seem to only happen on uneven bumps (is when the left or right goes over a speed bump or even small bumps. Have taken everything out of the trunk except the spare. But I have removed it and then made sure it was tighten down. I've shakened the exhaust and checked the shocks. Has anyone had something like what I'm hearing?
Thanks for reaching out, KonaBlue11. Your dealer is in the best position to diagnose this and suggest the best next steps. Have you located one nearby and gotten in contact yet? If not, feel free to use this to get started.

Please let me know how things unfold!

Brittany
Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

its more than likely upper or lower control arms, panhard bar or rear sway bar and their corresponding bushings and bolts. back it up on some ramps and check bolts. or remove one bolt at a time and check bushings. I doubt the upper control arm but just something to check. good luck
Old 04-18-2015, 04:45 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

The hanger arm on my right side muffler was too long and caused intermittent rattling against the rear bumper. Took me a couple years to pin that one down. Cut the excess off and no more rattle.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:57 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the rear stabilizer bark links are a common problem, the rubber in the link gets loose and will rattle around, inspect them closely. i have changed a handful of them for the same concern that you are having.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Does it rattle when the top is down? The top fabric (vinyl) on my 07 creaks when the top is up and the temperature is below 45 degrees, and it sounds like a rattle. That's probably not your problem since I believe you would have a cloth top. Just to be sure you might want to check out that possibility.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 AM
KonaBlue11

Originally Posted by illini4
Does it rattle when the top is down? The top fabric (vinyl) on my 07 creaks when the top is up and the temperature is below 45 degrees, and it sounds like a rattle. That's probably not your problem since I believe you would have a cloth top. Just to be sure you might want to check out that possibility.
Nope definately not the top. I had an 06 v6 with a Flowmaster Force2 cat back conversion. When it was first installed it would rattle after the exhaust heated up (the stainless expanding). It kind of sounds and feels like that. The for all the input. You guys are confirming what o was thinking.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:49 AM
KonaBlue11

OK so I think I've norrowed down to the forward passenger muffler hanger. Looks worn. I've been looking around online for replacement parts and think I want to replace the driver side while I'm at it. I have a part number BR3Z5A246A which looks like the passenger side but I can't find a part number for the driver side. Any ideas? Thx
Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 AM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by KonaBlue11
OK so I think I've norrowed down to the forward passenger muffler hanger. Looks worn. I've been looking around online for replacement parts and think I want to replace the driver side while I'm at it. I have a part number BR3Z5A246A which looks like the passenger side but I can't find a part number for the driver side. Any ideas? Thx
Hey KonaBlue11,

I recommend contacting the service manager at your local dealer. They'll be able to locate the part number and information that you need for this.

Mariel

Quick Reply: Help, Rattle from back end driving me nuts