Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more tick....so far

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:22 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Default No more tick....so far

2.4 years 17k+ miles, today is my 3rd oil change, i finally decided to switch brand. Normally i use full syn mobil 1, i gave pennzoil full syn a try and no tick after oil change like i normally would get with mobil 1. I dont know if its related or not but so far im liking it.

Btw how serious is it if a tiny rock size of a dot or sesame seed fell into engine? not that i did but i always wonder.

Last edited by winkawak; 04-18-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:40 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

What oil weight did you use?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:20 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Why would you ask about the rock scenario if it didn't happen? Seems like a strange thing to ask.

It's strange that a simple change in brands did the trick, but that's awesome. Hopefully it won't return!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Was the change the same weight? I often go from M1 to Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum in my SUV and have a gut feeling that the M1 seems more viscous even though they're the same weight. Just a gut, despite that they should have the same viscosity.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Was the change the same weight? I often go from M1 to Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum in my SUV and have a gut feeling that the M1 seems more viscous even though they're the same weight. Just a gut, despite that they should have the same viscosity.
Originally Posted by rogan01
What oil weight did you use?
5W-20, i have always used this weight on my stang.

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Why would you ask about the rock scenario if it didn't happen? Seems like a strange thing to ask.

It's strange that a simple change in brands did the trick, but that's awesome. Hopefully it won't return!
I see these thread sometimes and everyone freaks out about it. Just wondering if it actually do any damage.
Yea i know right, so for the past 17k+ miles ticks everytime after oil change with mobil 1 full synthetic for the first 3-400 miles. With pennzoil not a single tick, i have driven 220miles so far with it today to west palm beach.

Last edited by winkawak; 04-20-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:49 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and is no longer a full synthetic FYI.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

This is actually the first time I have read about a tick on a V6. Seems to be most commonly a coyote issue.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Nuke, your gut could be correct. My understanding is that viscosity is not a particular point, but a range. So two oils could properly claim the same viscosity, but one could be at the low end of the range, while the other is at the high end of the range.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:04 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Nuke, your gut could be correct. My understanding is that viscosity is not a particular point, but a range. So two oils could properly claim the same viscosity, but one could be at the low end of the range, while the other is at the high end of the range.
Might be it, anyone who coyote also ticks should give it a try see if problem goes away like mine.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:09 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by winkawak
Btw how serious is it if a tiny rock size of a dot or sesame seed fell into engine? not that i did but i always wonder.
Depends where it ends up. More than likely oil returning to the pan will wash it down there and it should get stopped at the oil strainer pick up to the oil pump and that would be the end of it. I've seen some pretty odd objects in an oil strainer that were obviously there for tens of thousands of miles. Not sure what the strainer mesh size is, but if it's large enough to pass this rock, it could damage the oil pump gears. If it goes through the pump somehow, with or without damage, it will be stopped in the oil filter.

Quick Reply: No more tick....so far