Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice on uca install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:10 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Default Any advice on uca install?

i plan to install whiteline adj uca on a ramp.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:41 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Use jack / jack stands, you need to be able to move the axle around
Get all the tools needed before you start, especially the specialty bit for the tank straps
loosen the tank just enough to get the bracket out... IIRC, whiteline replaces the entire bracket assy.

If you have the mechanical know-how, and the tools you should swap the axle bushing out (provided it's worn) with OE or poly... or if you aren't worried about noise or the car isn't a DD, spherical bushings.....

I am doing my UCA soon lol
Old 05-04-2015, 11:32 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Use jack / jack stands, you need to be able to move the axle around
Get all the tools needed before you start, especially the specialty bit for the tank straps
loosen the tank just enough to get the bracket out... IIRC, whiteline replaces the entire bracket assy.

If you have the mechanical know-how, and the tools you should swap the axle bushing out (provided it's worn) with OE or poly... or if you aren't worried about noise or the car isn't a DD, spherical bushings.....

I am doing my UCA soon lol
The OP has a 2013. The fuel tank does not need to be removed or even loosened to install UCA in a 2013.

OP, the install is pretty straightforward. Follow the directions. Having a long extension to reach up to the bolts on the chassis mounted bracket is helpful. Make sure to set the pinion angle with the full weight of the car on the suspension.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:57 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Install is straightforward just a lot of stuff in your way of the wrenches. Lol. I did mine on jack stands. If you bought an adjustable one make sure your familiar with how to adjust it. IE which way the jamb nuts spin. On the car When your upside down and all those pipes in the way it can twist your mind which way to spin them. Lol
Old 05-04-2015, 01:42 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
The OP has a 2013. The fuel tank does not need to be removed or even loosened to install UCA in a 2013.

OP, the install is pretty straightforward. Follow the directions. Having a long extension to reach up to the bolts on the chassis mounted bracket is helpful. Make sure to set the pinion angle with the full weight of the car on the suspension.
Will a 1/2 torque wrench that i use for my wheels fit in these tight spaces?
My car is not lowered, do i still need to set pinion angle and the car will be backed up on a ramp.

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Install is straightforward just a lot of stuff in your way of the wrenches. Lol. I did mine on jack stands. If you bought an adjustable one make sure your familiar with how to adjust it. IE which way the jamb nuts spin. On the car When your upside down and all those pipes in the way it can twist your mind which way to spin them. Lol
Can i set it before installing the part? Is there a factory setting? My car is not lowered and i dont plan on it, i would hate to mess around with pinion angle.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:39 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by winkawak
Will a 1/2 torque wrench that i use for my wheels fit in these tight spaces?
My car is not lowered, do i still need to set pinion angle and the car will be backed up on a ramp.

Can i set it before installing the part? Is there a factory setting? My car is not lowered and i dont plan on it, i would hate to mess around with pinion angle.
If your car is not lowered and you have no plans to, then what is the point of installing an UCA? I will answer your questions but IMHO it makes no sense to be upgrading the arm if you have no supporting mods.

No, a torque wrench will not fit in these spaces. Using an extension will get the socket in the space where you need it and allow you to use the wrench from below where you can gain leverage. Also, DO NOT use the torque wrench to remove the bolts. You need a ratchet or air impact wrench to remove them. Only use the torque wrench when torquing the bolts to spec.

Since your car is at stock height you will need to remove the stock UCA. Then while off the car, adjust the new arm so that the distance between the bolt holes is the same as the stock arm. Then tighten the new arm so that it won't move and install it back in the car. I believe all of this information is in the instructions.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:10 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

If your car is not lowered and you have no plans to, then what is the point of installing an UCA? I will answer your questions but IMHO it makes no sense to be upgrading the arm if you have no supporting mods.

No, a torque wrench will not fit in these spaces. Using an extension will get the socket in the space where you need it and allow you to use the wrench from below where you can gain leverage. Also, DO NOT use the torque wrench to remove the bolts. You need a ratchet or air impact wrench to remove them. Only use the torque wrench when torquing the bolts to spec.

Since your car is at stock height you will need to remove the stock UCA. Then while off the car, adjust the new arm so that the distance between the bolt holes is the same as the stock arm. Then tighten the new arm so that it won't move and install it back in the car. I believe all of this information is in the instructions.
Upgrading my uca to eliminate/greatly reduce wheel hop since lca dont do much. How many bolt holes are their on the whiteline uca for settings, because i dont see how you can adjust?
http://hillbankmotorsports.com/image.../6/kta141a.jpg
also just in case i change my mind about lowering in the future.
btw would you mind link a pic of extension you are talking about? Im new to doing my own mod, so far i have only done my adj phb, phb brace, roush a/b and strut tower brace.

Last edited by winkawak; 05-04-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Upgrading my uca to eliminate/greatly reduce wheel hop since lca dont do much. How many bolt holes are their on the whiteline uca for settings, because i dont see how you can adjust?
http://hillbankmotorsports.com/image.../6/kta141a.jpg
also just in case i change my mind about lowering in the future.
btw would you mind link a pic of extension you are talking about? Im new to doing my own mod, so far i have only done my adj phb, phb brace, roush a/b and strut tower brace.
Gotcha, I was under the impression that you were installing adjustable UCA. That is non-adjustable. It will be fine for stock ride height. You didn't list LCA as a mod on your car. Is that an omission or did you just read somewhere that "lca don't do much"?

Look up "1/2" extension bar". It is just a straight piece that allows you to reach into places with the ratchet in a location where it can be turned. They come in different lengths, and even drive sizes.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:26 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Gotcha, I was under the impression that you were installing adjustable UCA. That is non-adjustable. It will be fine for stock ride height. You didn't list LCA as a mod on your car. Is that an omission or did you just read somewhere that "lca don't do much"?

Look up "1/2" extension bar". It is just a straight piece that allows you to reach into places with the ratchet in a location where it can be turned. They come in different lengths, and even drive sizes.
We are having misunderstanding here lol, the piece in the picture is adjustable and whiteline uca only sell adjustable uca for 05-14 mustang. Maybe whiteline uca owners can shine in on this, I keep looking at the picture and i dont see how you can adjust it.

From all the thread or reviews of lca product i read, most people saw small improvement while some say totally eliminated which i doubt. My lca is stock.

How will the 1/2 extension bar help if the original 1/2 wrench wont even fit in the small spaces? Wouldnt it be better if the extension bar was bend at 90 degree so it can reach tight places?

list of mod in my sig soon

Last edited by winkawak; 05-05-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

We are having misunderstanding here lol, the piece in the picture is adjustable and whiteline uca only sell adjustable uca for 05-14 mustang. Maybe whiteline uca owners can shine in on this, I keep looking at the picture and i dont see how you can adjust it.

From all the thread or reviews of lca product i read, most people saw small improvement while some say totally eliminated which i doubt. My lca is stock.

How will the 1/2 extension bar help if the original 1/2 wrench wont even fit in the small spaces? Wouldnt it be better if the extension bar was bend at 90 degree so it can reach tight places?

list of mod in my sig soon
I got it now. I did not realize that Whiteline called the UCA adjustable. The crush ring in the middle of the yellow bushing is eccentric. You can rotate it around to adjust the UCA to the length you need.

For the extension bar. Imagine working on your car. You can see a bolt that is down in a hole or really tight space, but there is no way you can get the wrench into the space. You get an extension bar and attach it to the drive peg on the ratchet. Then put the proper sized socket on the other end of the bar. Now you can put the socket onto the bolt with the ratchet up out of the hole where you can turn it. Extension bars come in different lengths. The bolts on the bracket bolted to the chassis are similar because you can see them, but can't access them directly with a wrench.

I want to caution you now, this job can be tricky and requires a little more than basic knowledge of tools and how to use them.

Quick Reply: Any advice on uca install?