Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Traction 1st and 2nd Gear - Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Thunder10
1st Gear Member

Default No Traction 1st and 2nd Gear - Mod Help

I have a 2014 Track Pack GT (3.73 Gears) and I am ready to start modding. The first thing I feel like I need to fix is the lack of traction. 1st gear is unusable, Ive never been able to hook up to get the car going in 1st, and often 2nd gear spins/hops as well. I feel like I have all this power that I can not put to the ground. I try to finesse the throttle to avoid this issue, but that does not work often.

I ideally wanted to purchase tune/intake, springs, struts and panhard bar. But I don't want to waste the money on these mods if I still cant go WOT in 1st and 2nd.

Do other track pack owners, or guys with 3.73's have this issue?

Should different wheels/tires be my first mod? This is disappointing considering a reason for getting the track pack was the wheels/"performance" tire combo.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 PM
imeyers302

I have a 2014 Track Pack. Has boss Mani steeda cai and steeda tune. Suspension wise it has steeda sport springs, Koni yellows, steeda panhard bar and brace, steeda billet lower control arms, and BMR lower conteol arm relocation brackets. 1st and 2nd still light up the tires right up to the 7700rpm limiter. My next step is wheels with 305's in the rear.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:19 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Giving the street use of trying to put power to the ground will be hard. Meyers suggested great ideas however it will be hard to not spin. I suggest if you really want to feel the power to the ground. Slicks at the track will be your best option after the upgrades. Street use you will still have to manage the throttle of the car when taking off.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Are you having issues just with off-road usage, or lack of traction driving around town as well?
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 AM
imeyers302

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Are you having issues just with off-road usage, or lack of traction driving around town as well?
My car has zero traction in first gear with the 3.73s. Second gear did get much better after the billet lower control arms and relo brackets but can still spin through the gear if I am to aggressive with the 1-2 shift. For me handling is the priority over all out drag racing traction. Tried the lower control arms at lowest setting on relo brackets. Traction was better but I hated the way the rear felt in turns. Went to top hole on brackets and she handles like a dream but definitely a little less traction off the line.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Thunder10
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I definitely had some issues with my 60ft at the track but some of that is inexperience launching the car. However, my big problem is just around town wanting to have some fun. Right now, if I try to go WOT in 2nd gear around 20mph I almost always spin/hop. I feel like my wife's CRV could outrun me to 60mph since I cant get traction haha.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

My first suggestion is Driver Mod. You can't just go WOT on these cars and expect to get traction on the street.

Intake and Tune will just make your lack of traction worse. Control arms will help with wheel hop, but still won't do anything for traction issues. Springs, shocks, struts might help with wheel hop some, but mostly will help eliminate nose dive and help cornering ability.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thunder10
I have a 2014 Track Pack GT (3.73 Gears) and I am ready to start modding. The first thing I feel like I need to fix is the lack of traction. 1st gear is unusable, Ive never been able to hook up to get the car going in 1st, and often 2nd gear spins/hops as well. I feel like I have all this power that I can not put to the ground. I try to finesse the throttle to avoid this issue, but that does not work often.
That's the unfortunate side effect of having a combination of 350+lbft of torque to the rear wheels and short intermediate gearing.
LCAs with relo. brackets might help a little but you'll need stickier tires (drag radials for the street, slicks for the track) to make any real difference. Even then you'll still need to modulate the throttle to keep wheelspin under control.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Thunder10

I ideally wanted to purchase tune/intake, springs, struts and panhard bar. But I don't want to waste the money on these mods if I still cant go WOT in 1st and 2nd.

Do other track pack owners, or guys with 3.73's have this issue?

Should different wheels/tires be my first mod? This is disappointing considering a reason for getting the track pack was the wheels/"performance" tire combo.
For the street- Run wider rear tires.

What size rims are on it and you can figure out how wide you can go. Also, run a summer/performance tire vs all season to better grip.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:31 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

It sounds like part of the problem is between the gas pedal and the seat......the driver's foot. You have a lot of power going to the wheels - especially with your rear end. (Try telling a woman there's a lot of power in her rear end!)

The stock m/s tires are, well, m/s tires. You really need summer tires for better traction. Wait, scratch that. I think the track packs come with summer tires, right? Regardless, tires are one of the most important features on your vehicle for safety and performance. If you need more grip it will cost you.

Quick Reply: No Traction 1st and 2nd Gear - Mod Help