Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Edelbrock SC - Should I get custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:42 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Default New Edelbrock SC - Should I get custom tune?

Just finished installing an Edelbrock supercharger on my stock 2007 Automatic car. Fairly mechanically inclined. Do a lot of work on my 70 which has a 347. Have never worked on fuel injected cars before. Lot of steps but able to get thru it. Car has more power but a little less than I expected. I was hoping it would feel similar to my 347 which makes similar hp and torque.

Car idles fine and runs smooth. Higher & harder shifts, especially when you get on in it. I've read that the Edlebrock tune is pretty conservative. Since the car is stock is there any value in getting a custom tune (Brenspeed?). Goal would be to get a little more torque/hp down low. May get set up for 93 octane. Since in my area I can't get the edlebrock recommended ocatane (91) anyway and have to use 93. Little new to this area most of my posts have been in classic section. So any opinions would be appreciated. thanks
Old 05-06-2015, 01:57 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I did a pulley swap and tune with VMP. It was a big difference. The Roush tune was very conservative.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:56 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
Just finished installing an Edelbrock supercharger on my stock 2007 Automatic car. Fairly mechanically inclined. Do a lot of work on my 70 which has a 347. Have never worked on fuel injected cars before. Lot of steps but able to get thru it. Car has more power but a little less than I expected. I was hoping it would feel similar to my 347 which makes similar hp and torque.

Car idles fine and runs smooth. Higher & harder shifts, especially when you get on in it. I've read that the Edlebrock tune is pretty conservative. Since the car is stock is there any value in getting a custom tune (Brenspeed?). Goal would be to get a little more torque/hp down low. May get set up for 93 octane. Since in my area I can't get the edlebrock recommended ocatane (91) anyway and have to use 93. Little new to this area most of my posts have been in classic section. So any opinions would be appreciated. thanks
Yes, you should get a custom DYNO tune. This would be recommended for any Forced Induction setup. Also, definitely go to 93 octane tune. Where do you live that they don't sell 91 octane? I've only heard of places like CA where they don't sell 93, but never heard an issue with finding 91 octane.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:59 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I'm in Northwest Indiana. They probably sell it somewhere just the station I typically go to did not. I've seen 87, 89, 93.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

For optimal performance and your price of mine I would suggest getting a Dyno tune.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Every one else has already said it, but I'll repeat it. Get the dyno tune! You'll definitely see an increase in power as Edelbrocks tune is set up for 91 and is very conservative since it is designed for the masses.

You should be able to increase the timing a little more running 93 and see significant gains throughout the entire RPM range.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:08 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Any value in doing custom email tunes that both Brenspeed and VMP offer without putting on dyno?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Any value in doing custom email tunes that both Brenspeed and VMP offer without putting on dyno?
I'm sure they can get you dialed in if you can send them data logs along the way. It is just easier, faster and safer to dial it in on the dyno.

Mail order you'll have to log some WOT pulls on the street, send the log file in and wait for adjustments to the tune. You'll have to repeat this procedure until they get it right.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:32 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Try a Brenspeed tune. Its a lot cheaper than a dynotune and just as good if you don't have power mods other than the e-force.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:04 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

No, there is no value at all. Mail order tunes are OK for basic bolt-ons. When you go forced induction there are a lot more variables that are best addressed by a Dyno tune. Some mail order tuners will not even send tunes for FI. Dyno tune or you are wasting money.

Quick Reply: New Edelbrock SC - Should I get custom tune?