Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these cars awful in the snow with all seasons?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:18 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Most of us who buy these cars are working stiffs, that means we have to endure the weather going to and coming from work. If your livelihood depends on you being at work regardless of the weather, and you must have a Mustang, then you need a beater. If you can wait until the weather conditions are tolerable (such as waiting for the plows to do their thing), preparing your Mustang for the conditions is doable. I live in New England and I believe that if you equip your car properly, winters can be of little bother. I shoe my car with winter tires and summer tires on mounted rims. Mix in a little common sense, and all will be well.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Mustangs do just fine in snow. Blizzaks are awesome; I have a winter set on stock rims. Throw a few sand bags in the trunk and you'll be fine.

I'm in northern Utah and have lived in Alaska prior and believe me, good snow tires and some common sense is all you need.

My GT on Blizzaks is easier to drive in winter than my wife's FWD Kia on all season tires.

(edit) The important thing to keep in mind is: Do not cheap out on winter tires. Whatever you feel is worth paying could be the price you put on your life.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:27 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

all i know is where i live its commonplace to have to drive through 8-14" of snow at least 10 times per winter, forget tires at that point, ground clearance is the issue then. so i guess it all depends on what your definition of a snow storm is, a few inches no prob, a few feet, park it.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:49 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

The short answer: yes.
The long answer: no. I guess I think about what people were driving thirty years ago. Everything was rear wheel drive back then. People managed. It can be done. I don't do it myself, but it can be done.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
JimC

I drove my 2006, with supercharger, year round on a 45 mile each way commute in SE Michigan. Never got stuck once. And that was on the all season tires. No added weight in the trunk (think about it, do you really want your car to come to an abrupt stop with nothing between your head and the 100 lbs that is still moving through your back seat?). Keep the tank full and you have plenty of weight over the rear tires.

As CPTCO said, used to be that almost all cars were RWD (only thing FWD that I can remember when I got my license was the Olds Toronado) and we all got around even in the big snow storms.

The only car I ever had an accident with in snow was a FWD. Unlike RWD once those get into a skid there isn't a whole lot you can do. With RWD you can play with the throttle and maneuver (guess we were early drifters in the snow).

Driving in the snow really isn't that difficult in my opinion. You just have to be aware of and account for the conditions. Easier with the Blizzaks or other dedicated snow tires, yes, but not a requirement.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
IMHO I think S197's are awful in the snow with the stock pirelli's. These cars are manageable with dedicated snow tires. Anything more than a couple of inches and its best to just stay home. I don't drive mine in the snow because I have a second vehicle, but I still put blizzaks on it. They make a big difference in cold weather and sub-zero temps.
blizzaks
Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
all i know is where i live its commonplace to have to drive through 8-14" of snow at least 10 times per winter, forget tires at that point, ground clearance is the issue then. so i guess it all depends on what your definition of a snow storm is, a few inches no prob, a few feet, park it.
Words of wisdom...
Old 05-13-2015, 08:49 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

OK. Thanks guys.

I'm in Michigan and we don't usually get snowstorms that can drop 12+ inches in a day.

I did drive the 99 for a few months in the wintery sh*t years back. I got caught in a snowstorm with Nitto DR's and had a commute of about 15 miles because I thought I had more time before the precipitation began, lol.. for most of that drive it was really slow movements, early braking and keeping momentum at red lights (also hence the early braking) so I would avoid coming to a stop if possible. I made it within a half mile from home and got stuck of course going up a small incline. Damn that sucked, even if I didn't get stuck it still sucked. Would not recommend to friends and/or family. After that I had all season tires which were a little bit better. Should I pull the trigger on a newer S197 I'll look into snow tires especially if the car comes with only the summer tread.

I do have wheels from an early SN95 GT (16 inch by 7 I think). Would that size wheel clear the front calipers on the newer S197 GT's?
Old 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
I wouldn't even bother. With 300+hp going only to the rear wheels through a live axle, you'll have a hard time accelerating in a straight line in anything less than 3rd gear even with the TCS on.
I think this is the key, actually moreso the power and torque, especially if you live someplace like here in WV with hills everywhere.

I drove a 1990 Mustang 2.3L LX, with a 5 speed and peg-leg rear, all through college, year round. I never got stuck with it and it was actually very capable in the snow, and I think that's just because it had no power! I would put snow tires on it and 50 lbs of sand in the back and I was good to go. In fact I thought it went better in the snow than several FWD cars I've driven in snow since.

Anyway- my stays in the garage from November til April. I don't want it to rust to nothing and trying to drive it around here is something I just don't care to do.

There is actually someone in my town with an '05-09 GT that they drove all winter long, and given they still had their chrome 18" wheels on it I doubt they even put snow tires on it, and I saw that thing driving in some pretty serious snow. I thought they were crazy.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:38 PM
1985GTto2013GTCSV

A couple inches of slush and a foot of wet snow are two different things. If your area gets real snowfall, even with magic tires you will be plowing snow with the front end if you are actually hoping to drive on unplowed roads. I know this has been said already but nobody reads anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are these cars awful in the snow with all seasons?