Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pingning Noise Around Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:38 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default Pingning Noise Around Center Console

Occasionally I can hear what sounds like a pinging noise that seems to come from the area of my center console. My car is a 6-speed manual running the FRPP TracKey, but I've heard the pinging before I had done any modifications to the car. It's not the same sound as an engine ping. Has anybody else ever experienced this and know what causes it?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:08 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Occasionally I can hear what sounds like a pinging noise that seems to come from the area of my center console. My car is a 6-speed manual running the FRPP TracKey, but I've heard the pinging before I had done any modifications to the car. It's not the same sound as an engine ping. Has anybody else ever experienced this and know what causes it?
Have you ever been able to address this pinging noise with your Ford Dealer, GLOCKer?

Deysha
Old 05-15-2015, 04:37 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Have you ever been able to address this pinging noise with your Ford Dealer, GLOCKer?

Deysha
Deysha,
I haven't and it happens to intermittently that I don't think anything can actually be done about it. But next time I'm in for an oil change, I'll ask about it. And geez, that wont be for a while it looks like! I've had my car now for 1 year and 1 month and I'm still about 2000 miles from my second oil change!!!
Thanks for looking in though!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It probably is pinging because it is intermittent. I'm guessing it likely only happens when you are using the TracKey (which advances the timing) and it's hot outside or the car is heat-soaked like stop-n-go driving? Try running the car without the trackey for awhile and see if stops altogether. If it does then you have your problem.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:52 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Derf00, the pinging doesn't sound like an engine ping, and I noticed it before the TracKey. It seems to come from the shifter of all places.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Check the catalytic converter heat shields. Could be a broken/cracked weld or shield that's touching something. Also check the shifter cable to make sure it's not loose. Lastly, there is a clutch inspection plate on most manual tranny cars. It's usually only held on by a single bolt.. It's under the car on the tranny bellhousing.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! You've given me a great place to start out.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Deysha,
I haven't and it happens to intermittently that I don't think anything can actually be done about it. But next time I'm in for an oil change, I'll ask about it. And geez, that wont be for a while it looks like! I've had my car now for 1 year and 1 month and I'm still about 2000 miles from my second oil change!!!
Thanks for looking in though!
I understand, GLOCKer. You’re very welcome!

Deysha
Old 06-01-2015, 09:33 AM
GTOGreg

Originally Posted by Derf00
Check the catalytic converter heat shields. Could be a broken/cracked weld or shield that's touching something. Also check the shifter cable to make sure it's not loose. Lastly, there is a clutch inspection plate on most manual tranny cars. It's usually only held on by a single bolt.. It's under the car on the tranny bellhousing.
I have noticed similar noise from the area around the center console. This looks like a good start to tracking this down, Thanks!!