Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension advice

Old 06-06-2015, 07:10 PM
semco

Default Suspension advice

I have an 07 GT Premium, recently I have been noticing an annoying squeaking sound coming from the driver side rear. I'am thinking I need new shocks, cause I doubt they have ever been changed out@72k miles. With that in mind, I was thinking of a suspension upgrade. This is my plan:

GT 500 strut mounts
Koni shocks and struts
Steed lowering springs
New camber bolts

Is there any thing else I need to consider or will this work well for a guy on a limited budget? Just looking for some advice before I get into this and don't have something I need to complete the job.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:08 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the site. since your going to be under the car, check all your sway bar mounts, bushings and endlinks. I went with SR springs 1.5" all the way around and didn't need to use camber bolts. you may or may not need an adjustable panhard bar to center up the rearend, again depending on how low you go. good luck
Old 06-09-2015, 08:32 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

He will need an adjustable bar.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:27 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Can I add a few things ...

You won't need the bolts ... but I would recommend our 555-8120 strut mounts.

Ours are adjustable for Camber, the GT500 are not.

The panhard bar to re-center the rear end is a good idea too.

PM sent.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 06-09-2015, 07:10 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

I did Steeda sports springs. Koni sports. Steeda adjustable upper mounts. Steeda adjustable panhard bar. Great setup. The Steeda upper mounts are definitely the way to go to adjust camber and they are a precision machined component that are so pretty, you will be sad to hide them under the fender.

Steeda stuff is top notch. Could not be happier with their products or support.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:46 PM
semco

Ok, thanks for the advice. Really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out here.

One other thing I was curious about and failed to mention, will I have any issues with lowering the car with Toyo performance 17's on the car?

PM sent to TJ@steeda
Old 06-10-2015, 07:03 AM
imeyers302

Originally Posted by bstang14
I did Steeda sports springs. Koni sports. Steeda adjustable upper mounts. Steeda adjustable panhard bar. Great setup. The Steeda upper mounts are definitely the way to go to adjust camber and they are a precision machined component that are so pretty, you will be sad to hide them under the fender.

Steeda stuff is top notch. Could not be happier with their products or support.
I also have the Steeda sports, Koni yellows, Steeda HD strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard bar and brace, and Steeda billet lower control arms. Car handles like its on rails and ride better than it did when stock. Awesome set up for the street. As bstang said Steeda parts are top notch.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Hello Semco,

I do not see a p.m. from you ... can you resend? You can also email me at tim@steeda.com!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

This would be a great opportunity for upgrading the OE strut bolts from your early ones (the ones that only get torqued to 148 ft-lbs) to the later ones (166 ft-lbs). These are full size bolts and are not camber-adjustable. For your peace of mind.

Steeda's HD strut mount is a very, very good solution for daily drivers up through dual purpose street/moderately serious track driving. I've had a set on my '08 for a little over 5 years.

Norm
Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

I had a multiple squeaks on my car and just put on a new suspension. The most annoying was coming from the rear and sound like a bird chirping. This was the lower control arms. The bushings went so I replaced them with the FRPP version and it took care of that noise. Next was creaking when I went over speed bumps. I replaced the shocks and struts with Koni SRT.T's (orange version). Their performance is much better than stock! I also added the GT500 strut mounts b/c I was afraid my were worn and didn't want to have the car apart and not be able to finish b/c I was waiting for strut mounts. My camber ended up being a little off when I got an alignment so, in hindsight, I wish I went with the Steeda mounts. With the new shocks/struts installed I noticed the car didn't creak nearly as much but it was still there. After spraying various parts with white lithium grease I found the source - my rear sway bar. I have poly bushings in my sway bars so I bought the energy suspension poly grease and I'm going to re-grease them this weekend.

I bet the your squeak is coming from worn bushings rather than the shocks. Try spraying your sway bar and lower control arms with white lithium grease and see if that stops it for a day or two. If it does then you know it's one of those parts. Or do what I did and replace everything b/c your car is getting up there in miles and you'll have to do it some time

Good luck!

//mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension advice