Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Airbag Recall

Took my '06 GT 'vert to the dealership this morning to get the airbag recall done. Took less than an hour. The girl said mine was the first one they had done. I don't want a hand grenade going off in my face at 60 mph.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

The recall is the same as the Honda one. The media is telling people the airbag will go of on people while they are driving. That is BS the whole problem with them is they are not a single drawn canister like an air tank. They have a friction welded seam on them that can fail if the airbag deploys. If that seam fails then there is a chance that the pieces of metal and be blown out of the bag and hit people.

All of the replacement ones, whether Takata, Autoliv, or TRW are all a single drawn cylinder. Takata is so backed up with orders that Autoliv and TRW and now supplying airbags as well.

I cant tell you how many Ive replaced since Honda has over 6 million vehicles recalled with those airbags.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
The recall is the same as the Honda one. The media is telling people the airbag will go of on people while they are driving. That is BS the whole problem with them is they are not a single drawn canister like an air tank. They have a friction welded seam on them that can fail if the airbag deploys. If that seam fails then there is a chance that the pieces of metal and be blown out of the bag and hit people.

All of the replacement ones, whether Takata, Autoliv, or TRW are all a single drawn cylinder. Takata is so backed up with orders that Autoliv and TRW and now supplying airbags as well.

I cant tell you how many Ive replaced since Honda has over 6 million vehicles recalled with those airbags.
There are now 7 deaths where the airbags are a factor.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

After they deployed during a crash.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
After they deployed during a crash.
yes, this. it's a combination of the weak canister and a (theorized) degradation of the propellant material. The propellant apparently degrades from humidity and if it's ignited, it'll detonate rather than undergo a rapid burn, blowing the weak canister into shrapnel.

if the airbag isn't deployed, there should be no risk. downside is that airbag deployments are almost never expected...
Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I read that the chances of your air bag going off and exploding shards of metal are about .008%. Much better chance of being struck by lightning, .03%. If you put it in perspective, it seems like the whole thing is way over-blown. I'll get mine "fixed" but I won't be in a rush to do so.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:58 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhawkr
I read that the chances of your air bag going off and exploding shards of metal are about .008%. Much better chance of being struck by lightning, .03%. If you put it in perspective, it seems like the whole thing is way over-blown. I'll get mine "fixed" but I won't be in a rush to do so.
the problem is that the probability you state is drawn from all of the Takata airbags on the market. most of those airbags will never deploy. The more interesting stat would be the number of inflators which came apart compared to the total population of deployed airbags.

edit: according to Consumer Reports, almost 1% of returned inflators they tested ruptured the canister. that's bad.

they're forced to recall all of them because there's no way to tell if an inflator is going to fail in this manner until it's deployed. none of us "plan" for needing our airbags.

Last edited by jz78817; 06-15-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:59 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

the problem is that the probability you state is drawn from all of the Takata airbags on the market. most of those airbags will never deploy. The more interesting stat would be the number of inflators which came apart compared to the total population of deployed airbags.

I'll have to disagree with that. Bottom line is, most airbags will never be deployed regardless of whether or not the inflators might fail. Then, you have to factor in that 99% of the inflators are OK. That's how you get to .008% chance of being in harms way of shrapnel. And that doesn't even factor in whether you are actually impaled by said shrapnel. The chances of anyone on this forum being affected are infinitesimally small. There is a better chance of drowning in your swimming pool, statistically.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

lets just settle this with quasi statistics.. is it possible, yes, is it probable....not really.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Yes as said there is a chance but its rare. We like to tell our customers that they've driven the car for 7-14 years and they havent blown yet so its not like they will now just explode because there is a recall on them. Some of our customers are still so scared that we have to give them a loaner or rental until we get a replacement. Some of their cars have been on our lot for a month before we got one due to the back log of orders for them. Ive heard Takata is working 24/7 just to meet demands and as I said in my first response they are not keeping up and Autoliv and TRW are having to supply some now.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall