Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

All this talk about the d/s and p/s airbags what about the seat airbags? Are those a different manufacturer or work differently.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Dont know. Same could be said for the side curtain ones. Im all for just taking airbags out of cars and putting 5 point harnesses in them. A lot safer in my opinion. If those airbag do come into question, no doubt Honda will be the first to do anything about them. They've been recalling airbags since 2008, way before any of the media hype.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:12 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Dont know. Same could be said for the side curtain ones. Im all for just taking airbags out of cars and putting 5 point harnesses in them. A lot safer in my opinion. If those airbag do come into question, no doubt Honda will be the first to do anything about them. They've been recalling airbags since 2008, way before any of the media hype.
go watch what airbags actually do (especially side air bags) and you might change your mind. 5-point harnesses won't keep your head from slamming into the side window or pillars. stuff moves around a LOT during a collision.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
go watch what airbags actually do (especially side air bags) and you might change your mind. 5-point harnesses won't keep your head from slamming into the side window or pillars. stuff moves around a LOT during a collision.
I agree with side airbags, as they prevent head injuries, but only from a side impact. Front airbags on the other hand are a complete waste, IF you are wearing your sealtbelt and seated properly.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Interesting...just took my 08 in, and no word of a recall.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:48 PM
blchandl2

I called my dealer, they have no clue when they will receive parts for the recall.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:31 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I know side airbags will save you from hitting your head in a crash and a 5 point wont. I just hate airbags. Id rather have the harness than all those bombs next to my head.

Youll probably be waiting a month or more on a replacement inflator. Im not worried about mine (hope it's not affected but dont know yet) until I get a letter in the mail.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

One dealer told me that Ford won't sell any leftover 2014s until the airbags have been replaced, and that there are no parts available yet to perform the recall.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:04 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I agree with side airbags, as they prevent head injuries, but only from a side impact. Front airbags on the other hand are a complete waste, IF you are wearing your sealtbelt and seated properly.
false:

even belted, the seat belt stretches and the seat frame flexes. w/o the airbag, you'd be missing teeth at best; at worst you'd have a serious head/neck injury. depending on how fast you're traveling at the time of the collision, you could experience in excess of 100 gs of acceleration. anything which slows the rate of energy transfer to your body (crumple zones, airbags) improves your chance of survival.

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
I know side airbags will save you from hitting your head in a crash and a 5 point wont. I just hate airbags. Id rather have the harness than all those bombs next to my head.
the other 200 million of us would rather not have a closed head injury, TYVM.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
false:

even belted, the seat belt stretches and the seat frame flexes. w/o the airbag, you'd be missing teeth at best; at worst you'd have a serious head/neck injury. depending on how fast you're traveling at the time of the collision, you could experience in excess of 100 gs of acceleration. anything which slows the rate of energy transfer to your body (crumple zones, airbags) improves your chance of survival.

the other 200 million of us would rather not have a closed head injury, TYVM.
I disagree. I have been in two crashes where airbags deployed. neither time did i make contact with the airbags, because i was seated properly AND wearing the factory three point seat belt. The belts will NOT stretch far enough for you to make contact with the steering column if properly worn. Otherwise. racecar drivers would look like hockey player, and they crash at speeds well over 150mph.

Airbags do more damage than good. Ive been on multiple crash scenes where the airbags have broken arms, hands, and faceial bones. and not from being propelled into the bag from the impact but from the force of the bag deploying into someones arm that is across the wheel or holding onto the top middle of the wheel during impact.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Recall