Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Dont know. Same could be said for the side curtain ones. Im all for just taking airbags out of cars and putting 5 point harnesses in them. A lot safer in my opinion. If those airbag do come into question, no doubt Honda will be the first to do anything about them. They've been recalling airbags since 2008, way before any of the media hype.
This actually would be a pretty bad idea. SRS systems in cars use a soft restraint system while a 5pt is a hard restraint. the only way a hard restraint is safer is if you have all the additional equipment such as cage, helmet and hans device.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:18 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I disagree. I have been in two crashes where airbags deployed. neither time did i make contact with the airbags, because i was seated properly AND wearing the factory three point seat belt. The belts will NOT stretch far enough for you to make contact with the steering column if properly worn. Otherwise. racecar drivers would look like hockey player, and they crash at speeds well over 150mph.

Airbags do more damage than good. Ive been on multiple crash scenes where the airbags have broken arms, hands, and faceial bones. and not from being propelled into the bag from the impact but from the force of the bag deploying into someones arm that is across the wheel or holding onto the top middle of the wheel during impact.
This is really false information. Passenger car seat belts slip 6-10 inches in a wreck, allowing your upper body to move forward in a crash. This is by design. If seat belts did not slip, then in bad wrecks, passengers would end up crammed in a floorboard. This is why 4 pt harnesses are very dangerous, because they don't slip. Race car drivers use proper 5 or 6 pt harness that do not slip at all, however they also have cages, helmets, and neck supports.

Im not trying to attack you, just most people do not understand how SRS systems actually work and the difference in SRS and a harness.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:49 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

What part is false? My personal expiriences or that a seatbelt material stretches enough to allow contact to be made with the dash/sterring wheel? Slipping is very different than stretching .
Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by krazykevin
This actually would be a pretty bad idea. SRS systems in cars use a soft restraint system while a 5pt is a hard restraint. the only way a hard restraint is safer is if you have all the additional equipment such as cage, helmet and hans device.
SRS stands for supplemental restraint system...not 'soft' restraint system unless you mean that the method by which they are used it to 'soften' impact?

They systems are meant to be used enhance seatbelts by reducing/preventing injuries that usually occur from the face hitting the steering wheel or the head impacting the frame during a roll over etc when wearing just a seatbelt.... They help absorb the energy your body would otherwise impact on the hard surface due to the give and less that perfect seatbelt.

Seatbelts do one thing very well, they prevent you from flying out of the vehicle. They suck for preventing facial and neck injuries from side snapping (T-bone accident for example) because of their give/stretch.

The reason that seatbelts are the way they are in general is because they have to compromise some safety for comfort/convenience. I would never wear all the gear necessary for a six point (or even a 4 point) just to drive down the street. The stretch/give of the seatbelt is by design in that it does help reduce some injuries in mild to mid impact accidents. But facial injuries was not one of them, thus the SRS.

With a 6 point harness you couldn't move around as much also, that type of system is typically semi-custom/custom to the drivers body proportions. You can't build millions of cars to fit a 5'0 and a 6'2" person as well as one that weighs 100 lbs or 300 lbs and expect each and every car to have semi custom safety equipment. That would be cost prohibitive.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:04 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

You dont need a HANS, Hutchins, helmet, or roll cage to use a 4,5, or 6 pt harness. all you need is the belts and a harness bar that is securely fastened. It is no different than a stock seatbelt in regards to safety other than there is no tensioners to fail over time.

I have a 4pt in my 96. only because the stock seatbelts became dangerous due to not retracting or holding tension anylonger. And also because I had two complete sets of harnesses from work BNIB due to sponsor change.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
What part is false? My personal expiriences or that a seatbelt material stretches enough to allow contact to be made with the dash/sterring wheel? Slipping is very different than stretching .
the events of a vehicle collision happen so quickly that your "personal experiences" are worthless. by the time you realize you've been in a crash, the entire thing is over. I gave you a damn video of a crash test of a 2010 Mustang, where the belted dummy still would have eaten the steering wheel if not for the airbag. and you're going to sit there and tell me that you know exactly what happened in the two crashes you've had? My ***.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:29 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I know if I made contact with the airbag or not. Also, crash test only show intrusion into a vehicle NOT what happens to a real person. A real person will brace themselves in a crash not just flop around limp like a crash test dummy.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 06-25-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Come on guys air bags save lives but they also take them and obviously they still dont have them figured out I have seen very light impact kick bags and then very hard impact not kick them. I run a body shop so I see it everyday. But it is the crumple zone that the MFG. have came up with that do the most from what I can see the cars are designed to fold up in certain areas and they do and do it well. Cars have come a long way some for the good some for the bad. But this is the way I see how long did we drive cars without air bags? Along with all the other BS that comes on them.
Now who wants to ride around with a 6 point harness strapped around them for 500 miles now that is comfort. Uh not me If you think back Dale Earnhardt was killed it was the rigidness of the car that did it other then the wall his head flew forward and it broke his neck, along comes the Hines device that works and works well Along with the soft walls. Thats what absorb the impact just like the crumple zones in todays car. Am I for air bags NO and with my wife being 5ft tall on a good day it concern me every time she gets in the car and there is a law in our state where we can unhook them due to height issues. But I just do it myself.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 PM
blchandl2

Originally Posted by Derf00
SRS stands for supplemental restraint system...not 'soft' restraint system unless you mean that the method by which they are used it to 'soften' impact?

They systems are meant to be used enhance seatbelts by reducing/preventing injuries that usually occur from the face hitting the steering wheel or the head impacting the frame during a roll over etc when wearing just a seatbelt.... They help absorb the energy your body would otherwise impact on the hard surface due to the give and less that perfect seatbelt.
(snip)
^^^^ Well put. Air bags are the lesser of two evils. Vast improvements have been made over the years. The federal mandate to slow down the deployment makes a big difference. Remember, f=m*a. Things happen quickly in a crash so the acceleration must be high. The bag material is really tough to keep from rupturing. The gases to inflate are hot (the inside of my wrists were burned during my deployment). Airbags are nasty things, but they do save lives.

"SRS, when it is too late for ABS".
Old 07-02-2015, 12:17 PM
AceOfRaven

Sorry if this was made clear already and I missed it but I had my airbag replaced due to a recall earlier this year. Is this the same recall or do I need another new airbag?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Recall