Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:17 AM
blchandl2

Air bag systems are calibrated to deploy when a certain 'g' threshold is reached. They will deploy if you hit an unmovable object at approx. 12-15 mph. As previously stated, the repairs to the system are expensive and there can be considerable collateral damage. There are really the lesser of two evils. You don't want them to deploy unless something really bad could happen.

When I worked on airbag controllers our motto was "SIR, when it is too late for ABS".
Old 10-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bud636
wasnt just a bump moved the drivers door back front bumper took the biggest hit from the trailer hitch.also got into the hood. then the young genious got out & cracked wise on me.(no big deal old man my dad will have it fixed tomoro). wrong answer before i got any madder called the cops for a police report.
This sentence hurt my head so badly.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I heard on the TV national news tonight that the Takata air bags being used for the current recall might be defective, and there could be another recall. They are going to change from ammonium nitrate to a different chemical, but it might be 2018 before they get the issue resolved.

Meanwhile, the US government has fined Takata $70 million, and there is the possibility that an additional $130 million fine might be assessed. Still, if there were 33 million cars affected, that would only be a little over $6 per car.

Good grief!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:56 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

Sorry for your experience my 05 has had some issues but it is & has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. A good dealership will get to the bottom of this gremlin in the system or you will get a new ride. Be proud you bought American & stood by it even when it sucked to do so. Shows your character as a performance guy,we all have to have another ride while our baby is getting worked on. But on good days it is so nice....please keep us posted? b
Old 11-04-2015, 05:44 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I heard on the TV national news tonight that the Takata air bags being used for the current recall might be defective, and there could be another recall. They are going to change from ammonium nitrate to a different chemical, but it might be 2018 before they get the issue resolved.

Meanwhile, the US government has fined Takata $70 million, and there is the possibility that an additional $130 million fine might be assessed. Still, if there were 33 million cars affected, that would only be a little over $6 per car.

Good grief!
Isn't that great. The government profits from damage to us. Hope they spend it well.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I just got my recall notice a few days ago and have yet to call the dealership. I'm debating on whether to have it done or not. Are there any downsides from not having it done except for the small chance of injury if airbags were to deploy such as trade in or anything?
Old 11-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

If the dealer has the part, I would get the work done. I don't know if it's a federal or state thing, but dealers sometimes cannot sell a car with an open recall. If you go to trade it, and they have the part, it's probably no big deal. But if at the time you want to trade, the part is not available immediately, what you get for your trade could decrease. Dealers don't want cars sitting around on the lot that they can't sell.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:03 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Got a letter from Ford today. Apparently they are putting a temporary fix in place,until the permanent fix is available. What that temp fix is I don't know. Maybe they hand you a balloon to blow up. My car is scheduled to go in 12/23/15
Old 12-16-2015, 06:51 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I stopped by my dealer yesterday and the parts are in. Mine is scheduled but he tells me that all cars on the recall don't need them replaced, they have to inspect it first..so they are going to inspect mine and replace if it needs it?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:27 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I got a second letter to call dealership so I called them today and they said their still waiting on parts and it could be a while.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall