Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:54 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
I received my notice months ago. Nothing since then. Does anyone know who I should follow up with?
I have been reaching out to ford dealerships around the st louis area,some are more enlightened about this recall but they have all used the no parts available excuse. It seems parts trickle in & if you are lucky enough to be in the right spot at the right time,yours gets fixed. Spoke with a service guy at Ford & he indicated that the more familiar you are at the dealership the more inclined they are to have your recall completed first. Sounds like more of the old boy network. Not interested in fixing this as there is no penalty applied to complete this recall other than my faith in Ford. Dealerships are repairing the previously owned cars they get on trade in with the recall canisters as they get them so they can be resold with the warranty complete. Next comes the general public.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Bud...not the answer I wanted to hear but then sometimes reality sucks.

So basically Fords position is that I've already bought and paid for the car so they don't care if it ends up killing me. Capitalism at it's finest.

GM pulls the same crap. The missus has a Buick where the headlights can go out at any time. They've been working on a fix for how many years?

Last edited by potman; 01-28-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:03 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

It seems like the biggest issue is the blame game. Ford points the finger at Takata which in reality its their fault but at the same time Takata just kinda gives the finger since our regulatory forces don't have much force in Japan. I think this will be a long drawn out process. I'm half tempted to just pull the fuse on the Restraint module. Hitting the dash sounds safer than shrapnel. Its all plastic anyway.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 AM
bud636
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
It seems like the biggest issue is the blame game. Ford points the finger at Takata which in reality its their fault but at the same time Takata just kinda gives the finger since our regulatory forces don't have much force in Japan. I think this will be a long drawn out process. I'm half tempted to just pull the fuse on the Restraint module. Hitting the dash sounds safer than shrapnel. Its all plastic anyway.
You know that is a pretty good idea. Seat belt restraints work reliably enough to save you in most wrecks & I have never been that comfortable with the airbag injury versus actual wreck injury. Then add on the shrapnel issue that really tips the safety scales to no bag at all til they get a reliable safety fix. My fun car to cruise in with the top down & experience the day so i dont drive it unless i want to feel this enjoyment. Now i worry about letting my daughter or my lady use it for fear of them being maimed by this overdue repair. Shame on the toothless powers that force rules on consumers while protecting the shoddy safety airbag manufacturerers. Ford is not blameless in this also. I was informed mustangs were built & assembled in flat rock mi. Now i am curious as to how many Asian components are tucked away where you don't notice til something made cheaply with (wink-wink) quality issues. I guess we are lucky its only a vehicle safety issue. Asian corporations put poison in baby food because it was a cheap additive that chemically helped add to the fomula but was extremely toxic to infants . It's about money every day another recall vehicle is junked & saves them cost of the repair. The money guys families don't drive the affected vehicles & our families are of no concern to them as they have corporate insurance to cover monetary losses from lawsuits . Sorry got up on my soapbox.....

Last edited by bud636; 01-29-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:30 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

No problem bud, someone needed to step up on it.

Tell ya what, I am going to buy a new car this year and it's going to be a Ford. I'm going to tie that purchase in with fixing my Stang. No fix, no sale.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

Somebody tell me where the damn fuse is.....the only box diagram I can find is a 2011. pm me if you need to thx, steve
Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13pony
Somebody tell me where the damn fuse is.....the only box diagram I can find is a 2011. pm me if you need to thx, steve
Try looking in your Owner's Guide. For my 2007, it is Fuse 17 in the passenger compartment fuse panel. The description in the Guide is "Restraint Control Module (RCM), Passenger Occupant Detection System (PODS), Passenger Air bag Deactivation Indicator (PADI)."

I don't know for sure, but removing the fuse may also disable the pretensioner for the seat belts. So your seat belts may not be as effective with the fuse removed.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:42 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I've gotten 2 recall letters and they both said to call the dealer to schedule a time. I've called the dealer twice now and they say they don't have parts. Mentioned spring time.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:31 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by movielover40
I've gotten 2 recall letters and they both said to call the dealer to schedule a time. I've called the dealer twice now and they say they don't have parts. Mentioned spring time.
Of 2016? 2017? 2018? My dealer has no idea.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:36 PM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

With the millions of airbags Takata is going to have to supply, I have a real concern that they will go bankrupt and not be able to supply them all. Then what will we do?

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall