Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 PM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

I got a call my airbag was in. For the first time, I was pleased with the local Ford dealership. I dropped my car off at 8:00 and they called at 11:30 to tell me it was done. It is nice looking at the invoice and seeing "Total Invoice $0.00" from the dealership. The work order shows they replaced the airbag, reprogrammed the RCM, and did a multi-point inspection.

I know the wait is frustrating, but if you haven't had yours done yet, hang in there. This was a big recall.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:23 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
So how will the re-sell value of a car not repaired be affected? Am I allowed to even sell the car with a known defect? I disagree, the airbag supplier is a subcontractor for Ford, as such Ford is liable.

This is really starting to **** me off. Why do corporations in this country have all the protections and the consumers have none? It's our God damned corporate bought and paid for government that's why.

I'll agree, the air bag manufacturer messed up, but that does not absolve Ford of liability. I have no recourse through the airbag manufacturer. If I have an accident Ford will be the one I sue. In fact I should go ahead and initiate a suit. If I have an accident and the airbag kills me, Ford lawyers will say I knew about the defect so why was I driving the car? So I'll sue for deprivation of property since I cannot drive it without risking death. I'm assuming re-sell value will be affected even if I can sell the car. I cannot drive the car because of the defect Ford refuses to fix.... Ford is weighing the cost of my life with what they will have to spend to fix the car. And to Ford, my life is not worth it. To hell with Ford.

Exploding Pinto, here we go again.
1. well if you are dead its unlikely that YOU will be suing anybody. 2. you as a private individual can sell your car anytime you desire, even if there is an open recall. 3. you assume that ford is somehow preventing you from getting your car fixed in a timely manner, that is a stupid assumption, takata makes 1 in 5 air bags globally, and they too are making the replacement parts, they cant keep up with production, plain and simple. 4. corporate protection from what exactly? this is going to cost takata BILLIONS, and by association and legal fees cost ford a super mega chit ton as well. we get it, its not getting fixed as fast as you would like, such is life.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Phil1098

I could give a care less about an airbag. Seat belts save lives, air bags reduce injuries. When I was a kid your mom would hold her arm in front of you if she had to stop fast. If I never get mine changed I don't care. I also hate safety brakes on lawn mowers and all the other stuff that is supposed to save idiots. Cars are SO much safer than they have ever been it's not funny. I guess we could start wearing full face helmets when we drive, think how many lives would be saved then.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
So what are you supposed to do? Not drive the car?

It's been about a year since I got my recall notice. Ford could have engineered and manufactured their own replacement airbag in that time.
nonsense. Ford has no manufacturing facilities which can build airbag inflators. You've got to understand, it's not even just a question of production tooling; the propellants used for airbag inflators are strictly controlled by the government, you don't just start buying this stuff on the open market.

Get this through your head: Takata makes millions of airbag inflators every year which they have to ship to assembly plants for new cars being built. They've just been tasked with producing 30 million replacement parts for cars out in the field. THEY DON'T HAVE THE PRODUCTION CAPACITY TO DO BOTH!!!!!!! You are going to accomplish absolutely nothing by screaming at Ford. And you look really foolish for doing so since there are still millions upon millions of unfixed Hondas, Chryslers, BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

and yes, they can (and are) sourcing replacements from other suppliers like Autoliv, TRW, and Daicel, but since they all use different inflator propellants than Takata they have to go through normal design and then qualification and validation testing. That all takes time, you don't want them rushing it only to put out replacement inflators which have their own safety defects.

Originally Posted by Phil1098
When I was a kid your mom would hold her arm in front of you if she had to stop fast.
this is the stupidest mindset ever. in a collision the accelerations can be 50 to 100G, you mom isn't going to be able to hold you back from that.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:55 PM
blchandl2

Having worked in the automotive industry for 24+ years (making airbag control electronics) I can confidently say that Ford can, and will be held responsible for any deaths and injuries caused by these airbags. Ford can (and will) in turn sue Takata for the losses they incur from all of this. It is Ford's (and other car manufacturers) reputation on the line. Consumers were purchasing a Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc not a Takata airbag.

The car manufacturers sourced the part from Takata and are responsible for vetting their suppliers. Look at the GM ignition switch ordeal. GM is being sued by the consumers, etc, not the supplier who manufactured the switch. It is GM's reputation taking the hit.

Certain manufacturers have been more proactive dual sourcing parts to limit their liability which is why I am upset with Ford. I thought it was great that Ford never took any government bailout money, that is part of the reason why I bought one. The treatment I have received from Ford and the dealer on this and other issues is turning me away. It is a shame because I will never by another GM vehicle. Chrysler has too many quality issues to by another one of them right now and my father worked at Chrysler for 42 years. I will not by from Toyota either after seeing how they treat their suppliers.

I guess I need to buy a good pair of walking shoes.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
nonsense. Ford has no manufacturing facilities which can build airbag inflators. You've got to understand, it's not even just a question of production tooling; the propellants used for airbag inflators are strictly controlled by the government, you don't just start buying this stuff on the open market.

Get this through your head: Takata makes millions of airbag inflators every year which they have to ship to assembly plants for new cars being built. They've just been tasked with producing 30 million replacement parts for cars out in the field. THEY DON'T HAVE THE PRODUCTION CAPACITY TO DO BOTH!!!!!!! You are going to accomplish absolutely nothing by screaming at Ford. And you look really foolish for doing so since there are still millions upon millions of unfixed Hondas, Chryslers, BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

and yes, they can (and are) sourcing replacements from other suppliers like Autoliv, TRW, and Daicel, but since they all use different inflator propellants than Takata they have to go through normal design and then qualification and validation testing. That all takes time, you don't want them rushing it only to put out replacement inflators which have their own safety defects.

this is the stupidest mindset ever. in a collision the accelerations can be 50 to 100G, you mom isn't going to be able to hold you back from that.
Agreed
Old 04-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Phil1098

Originally Posted by jz78817
I was talking about how things have changed over the years, not a mindset. The only thing stupid is you believing I felt that was good practice.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Welp, NHTSA just announced that pretty much every Takata airbag inflator ever made with ammonium nitrate propellant is recalled.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...actor-in-risk/
Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 PM
JimC

About 23% of all cars in the United States are now affected according to reports. That means it is going to be that much harder to get the parts to fix our cars.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:38 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
About 23% of all cars in the United States are now affected according to reports. That means it is going to be that much harder to get the parts to fix our cars.
tho I'm sure there'll be at least a few people here who are still mad at Ford for some reason.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall