Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I'm kinda puzzled about this recall. When all this came up, I took my '06 Mustang GT 'Vert to the dealer I bought it from and supposedly they replaced the driver's side inflator. Now I get this letter from FOMOCO telling me to take my car in to have the inflatorS replaced. So, I stop in and talk to the lady in the service dept. She looks up my record and says, "Yes, I see here we replaced the driver's side inflator, but Ford wants us to replace BOTH inflators". I asked, "even though you already replaced the driver's side?" Yup she says. She said they have the parts to do the driver's side, but not the pass. side. She said when you get a letter from Ford telling you the parts are available, bring it in and we'll do both sides. Really? You can't make this stuff up.
If Ford Service monitors this forum, maybe you can explain this to me.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:20 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

The first recall that was issued, there was no fix for the problem of the humidity degradation of the inflator, So what they did was replace the old, aged faulty design with a new inflator with the same faulty design.

Now they have an inflator that does not degrade with humidity, therefore fixing the problem. So now they are replacing all the old faulty design inflators with the new non-faulty design inflators.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:05 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangbass
The first recall that was issued, there was no fix for the problem of the humidity degradation of the inflator, So what they did was replace the old, aged faulty design with a new inflator with the same faulty design.

Now they have an inflator that does not degrade with humidity, therefore fixing the problem. So now they are replacing all the old faulty design inflators with the new non-faulty design inflators.
OK, thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I'm going in to have my driver's side done this Friday at 1300 Hrs. EDT. I had received another letter from Ford a few days ago the got me to call the Dealer to ask about my airbag, I had called them a couple of weeks ago and they said they would order the part.

Anyway, with the most recent mailer they had a picture that mentioned a recall for the passenger side. Reckon it makes sense, but, pretty sure it was the first time I have heard of it. No mention during the scheduling phone call, and I didn't ask about it. FWIW
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangbass
Now they have an inflator that does not degrade with humidity, therefore fixing the problem.
so Takata says. they still use the same propellant, but have added a "drying agent" to keep moisture from degrading the propellant.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:12 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The propellant was never the problem. The canister is the problem. Moisture compromises the integrity of the container causing it to come apart during a properly deploying airbag.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I thought it was the propellant soaking up moisture and then expelling with too much force causing the cannister to send shrapnel...There's so many stories out there...lol
Old 07-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Phil1098

I had my driver side done this morning, I stood next to the tech the whole time, ten minute job. I too got a letter last week saying that the passenger side needs to be done too, but Ford doesn't have parts for that yet, only the drivers side.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, it is kind of confusing until you really read what they sent. I just took my stang in for the driver air bag inflator recall 15S21. One day later I get a letter from Ford for the Safety Recall Notice 16S26...passenger frontal airbag inflator. They will send a letter to inform me when parts are available.
When I left it for the first recall I told them to be very careful with my car. I didn't want finger prints all over the car. On my receipt it said, "Customer Reports: ********BE VERY CAREFUL WITH VEHICLE KEEP CLEAN*****
They did!
Old 07-31-2016, 07:34 AM
ROMM

Well I brought my car in on the 26th for airbag recall work - and guess what? They don't have the parts yet. They couldn't explain why they made the appointment in the first place. Frustrating for me as I was on a stretch of night shifts and had to stay up to bring the car in at 7:30 AM. They told me that parts would be available in the 4th quarter.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall