Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?

My black 2012 has the bubbling crap on the lip. I was told that more than just the hood requires a repaint to I guess blend in the color but I'm not buying it.

For you guys thay had yours repainted did they just do the hood or did they do the whole front end/car?
Old 06-23-2015, 08:48 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

if its being done under warranty, then hell have em paint it all. if its out of your pocket. just the hood will do
Old 06-23-2015, 11:19 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

most of the time they just cant paint one panel and have it match well, so they have to blend it in to the surrounding panels so that any color difference or lay of the metallic doesnt look obvious
Old 06-24-2015, 12:03 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

what wog said, I bought a hood for mine awhile ago and they did just as he said. If they dont u will be able to tell
Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
My black 2012 has the bubbling crap on the lip. I was told that more than just the hood requires a repaint to I guess blend in the color but I'm not buying it.

For you guys thay had yours repainted did they just do the hood or did they do the whole front end/car?
I don't buy it! Go to a good auto paint store & get a color match on the fender where it meets the hood. Then send the paint to a good paint shop to get it repainted. Make sure they guarantee (in writing) to prep it in a way to avoid future bubbling.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:50 AM
imeyers302

I am mental about leaving my car with anyone especially a dealer. My 2014 GT hood is just beginning to bubble underneath at the front edge. If I have the dealer fix it I will remove the hood and drop it wherever they have their work done. I don't see why they need my car. If Cervini can paint and a hood that will match and ship it to me, I don't see why they can't just paint the hood. That being said I have a black car. I know that pearl paints are hell to match and usually have to be blended. Either way I will never leave my car at a dealer if I am not there. To many horror stories of joy rides. I really can't wait to see the dealers face when I tell him I am just bringing the hood in. Not doing it out of spite but I just don't trust anyone with my car.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:59 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I had the hood corrosion issue as well; Ford sent a new hood to my dealership and I have to drop off my car so they can paint the hood. However, they outsource this to a local collision repair company. I too, don't feel comfortable leaving my car there for five days. How difficult is it to match black to black? They car is less than two years old, and I doubt it has faded much. Doesn't the clearcoat prevent this?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:09 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

your car isn't that special, man. let them do the job properly.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 AM
imeyers302

Originally Posted by jz78817
your car isn't that special, man. let them do the job properly.
Its special to me and that is all that counts.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:32 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imeyers302
Its special to me and that is all that counts.
I hear you on that one! It's definitely hard to trust anyone to take care of something they dont own. I see it everyday in the business I work for, care and concern for others property is gone and its the " its not mine so who cares" attitude.

hopefully you can find a dealership you can kinda trust to get your hood repainted and from my experience just because a dealership is large and offers in house paint repair doesnt mean they are going to take care of your car better. I learned from experience they dont. smaller shops have more to lose by having bad service or getting a bad rep.

Quick Reply: hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?