Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

cut the cord man, give them a chance to paint it properly. customers like this make it really hard to stop myself from teling them to go elsewhere, too much drama for a basic paint repair
Old 06-28-2015, 09:00 AM
imeyers302

Originally Posted by jwog666
cut the cord man, give them a chance to paint it properly. customers like this make it really hard to stop myself from teling them to go elsewhere, too much drama for a basic paint repair
I would think I am an easy customer. Here's my hood. Paint it and when it's ready I will pick it up. Don't see the problem. If that to much to ask I would be glad to go somewhere else. I am pretty sure I am not the only one on here who does not like to leave their car somewhere for repair. I am not asking for white glove service. I know I can be crazy about my car and full admit it so by not leaving my car I remove the problem. Shop does not have to worry about a crazy customers car and I don't have to worry about leaving it. Win win. Don't understand why you would tell me to go elsewhere. Had a 2012 STi that needed a bumper cover after a curb incident. Bought bumper cover from Subaru, dropped off at my body shop, picked up after painting and installed it myself. I am the easiest customer there is.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:29 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imeyers302
I would think I am an easy customer. Here's my hood. Paint it and when it's ready I will pick it up. Don't see the problem. If that to much to ask I would be glad to go somewhere else. I am pretty sure I am not the only one on here who does not like to leave their car somewhere for repair. I am not asking for white glove service. I know I can be crazy about my car and full admit it so by not leaving my car I remove the problem. Shop does not have to worry about a crazy customers car and I don't have to worry about leaving it. Win win. Don't understand why you would tell me to go elsewhere. Had a 2012 STi that needed a bumper cover after a curb incident. Bought bumper cover from Subaru, dropped off at my body shop, picked up after painting and installed it myself. I am the easiest customer there is.
but this repair is FREE. ford will not cover body work when removal and installation is performed by the customer. when its cash out the door, i dont think they would care. unless they feel that in order to give you a quality repair, the paint needs to be blended into the fenders.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:40 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

I had mine repainted. They had a little device they took out and placed on several spots on the fenders and bumper to analyze the color. Then the computer exactly mixed the paint.

They then took my hood and I took my car home. After paint It matched perfectly. So good my car has won car shows since and is black.

This was not at a dealer though so all depends on what you have to work with.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:11 PM
imeyers302

Originally Posted by BlindGUYnAR
I had mine repainted. They had a little device they took out and placed on several spots on the fenders and bumper to analyze the color. Then the computer exactly mixed the paint.

They then took my hood and I took my car home. After paint It matched perfectly. So good my car has won car shows since and is black.

This was not at a dealer though so all depends on what you have to work with.
Now that sounds like a good plan to me. Did ford cover it or was it out of pocket?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:36 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imeyers302
I would think I am an easy customer. Here's my hood. Paint it and when it's ready I will pick it up. Don't see the problem.
the problem is that when it doesn't match well enough, you'll go back and bitch.

when I said "your car isn't that special," what I meant was "they've probably had more than one Mustang through there before yours, since Ford sells 80-100,000 of them a year." Worrying that yours is the one they'll take out and "test drive" is silly.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
the problem is that when it doesn't match well enough, you'll go back and bitch.

when I said "your car isn't that special," what I meant was "they've probably had more than one Mustang through there before yours, since Ford sells 80-100,000 of them a year." Worrying that yours is the one they'll take out and "test drive" is silly.

^ no kidding
Old 06-29-2015, 06:49 AM
imeyers302

Originally Posted by jwog666
^ no kidding
Yeah. I know I am absolutely nuts when it come to my cars, always have been, but at least I admit to it.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 AM
9050scott

Originally Posted by mdg
I had the hood corrosion issue as well; Ford sent a new hood to my dealership and I have to drop off my car so they can paint the hood. However, they outsource this to a local collision repair company. I too, don't feel comfortable leaving my car there for five days. How difficult is it to match black to black? They car is less than two years old, and I doubt it has faded much. Doesn't the clearcoat prevent this?
Why are you leaving the car there for 5 days? They can repaint the hood then have you come in. I dropped mine off in the afternoon and picked it up the next morning. You can't tell it is not factory paint. On top of that they detailed the car, it looked like new when I picked it up.

Last edited by 9050scott; 06-29-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:14 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
My black 2012 has the bubbling crap on the lip. I was told that more than just the hood requires a repaint to I guess blend in the color but I'm not buying it.
For you guys thay had yours repainted did they just do the hood or did they do the whole front end/car?
Sadly I had someone back into my '05 Screaming Yellow GT. Kind of a sideways thing, damage to front bumper, front edge of the hood, right front fender. Body parts replaced with "factory" parts and repainted, you can't tell, and they didn't touch the adjoining parts.

In April I purchased a used 2013 Subaru Forester, really like it. Already have 4,000 miles on it since purchase. its a metallic red of some type. The hood had pock marks on it while the rest was pristine as can be for 2 years and 30k miles. Actually, it looks very close to brand new, months old only. Took it the body shop of the GT's work. He said hard to tell, suspected sap or something. I was concerned about color match, he said he guaranteed it would look excellent. He said he puts the VIN into a computer, and out comes the paint, so to speak. Painted it, it looks perfect, didn't "blend" into the other panels at all incidentally, he said it was harder than he thought it would be, the pockmarks in some cases were almost all the way through the paint to the metal. He ended up taking it down to bare metal, re-primed, and painted. All for $275 as he had promised.

Last edited by algregory; 06-29-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?