Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imeyers302
Now that sounds like a good plan to me. Did ford cover it or was it out of pocket?
My dime as it was 08
Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9050scott
Why are you leaving the car there for 5 days? They can repaint the hood then have you come in. I dropped mine off in the afternoon and picked it up the next morning. You can't tell it is not factory paint. On top of that they detailed the car, it looked like new when I picked it up.
Since it's being repaired under warranty, I have to drop the car off at the dealership. They're send it to Chantilly Auto Body for painting. It'll probably take 2-3 days.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:49 AM
9050scott

Originally Posted by mdg
Since it's being repaired under warranty, I have to drop the car off at the dealership. They're send it to Chantilly Auto Body for painting. It'll probably take 2-3 days.
Koons did mine at their body shop near the Dulles Town Center.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 AM
12bigredstang
1st Gear Member

Default come on ford

it is a shame, these hoods should not be rusting. My 2012 gt is starting under the hood and the dealer said too bad out of warranty. It is only under the lip so far. Hope it stays that way but im sure it will spread to the top on day. I soaked it with rust check from Canadian tire store. My car is metallic candy. Im sure this paint is more costly. Sorry ford you dropped the ball on this one.

Luke from Canada ehh
Old 07-03-2015, 07:20 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by 12bigredstang
it is a shame, these hoods should not be rusting. My 2012 gt is starting under the hood and the dealer said too bad out of warranty. It is only under the lip so far. Hope it stays that way but im sure it will spread to the top on day. I soaked it with rust check from Canadian tire store. My car is metallic candy. Im sure this paint is more costly. Sorry ford you dropped the ball on this one.

Luke from Canada ehh
Your car is a 2012, likely it was sold/titled in 2011. I'm guessing your dealer was 'thinking' of the 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. There is a 5 year corrosion warranty to look into.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I discovered corrosion on my white 2014 GT Sunday. It's on the front, left lip of the hood, not the cowl area. Hood will need to be replaced. Only @ 21,750 and 26 months so regular warranty should cover it. Since they'll have to paint the whole front end, I'll have them fix a couple chips while they are at it. Working in the aircraft industry, I see corrosion of aluminum quite a bit so I'm not totally surprised. Once the corrosion is evident, it's like cancer that has spread. The chances of being able to sand it out and get it all are between slim and none. If you want light weight, what are you going to do? Carbon fiber and fiberglass have their problems as well.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdg
Do you have personal experience with this dealer? There are several dealers in my area that appear to be incapable of getting anything done in less than 2-3 weeks.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:40 PM
COLBR

New to the forum -- just bought a 2005 GT, and it has some bubbling on the front of the hood.
I've searched all sorts of forums about DIY repair of bubbling -- I figured I could just sand it down and touch it up, but there are no threads to be found where people are doing repairs themselves. I don't need it perfect, just presentable, and hopefully enough o stop it spreading.

I am in NOVA, and am curious about what folks are paying to get the hood repainted.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Once corrosion has begun on aluminum, the chances of you being able to sand it out are slim. This is because corrosion on aluminum is usually more severe beneath the surface than it is on the surface. You can remove the surface corrosion but you can't get to the corrosion lurking beneath the surface and the problem will return. The only viable option is to replace the hood and hope the new one is not contaminated or replace with a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood.

I have worked with aluminum in the aircraft industry since 1973 and as a Quality Manager for the last 26 years. I have seen and dealt with a lot of corrosion over the years.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Got the car back yesterday, was done within 3 days. Brand new hood, perfect paint job. Very happy!

Quick Reply: hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?