Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Daleford
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford's problems: Hoods today / pickups tomorrow

If Ford can't build an aluminum hood and stand behind it, I feel sorry for the owners of the new F-150.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:25 PM
COLBR

Originally Posted by jhawkr
Once corrosion has begun on aluminum, the chances of you being able to sand it out are slim. This is because corrosion on aluminum is usually more severe beneath the surface than it is on the surface. You can remove the surface corrosion but you can't get to the corrosion lurking beneath the surface and the problem will return. The only viable option is to replace the hood and hope the new one is not contaminated or replace with a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood.

I have worked with aluminum in the aircraft industry since 1973 and as a Quality Manager for the last 26 years. I have seen and dealt with a lot of corrosion over the years.
Has ANYONE tried to DIY this problem?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Mr. Mac

Default Went to dealer this morning and...

they grabbed a camera and documented the bubbling on the leading edge of my black 2014 Mustang. Said they would get authorization, and it would be in the outsourced body shop for 5 days. I think after what I've been reading I may set up one of the smart keys for 40 mph. Make it a very boring car to take out for a joyride!
Old 07-21-2015, 12:46 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

My dealer called today and they have me scheduled in for August 5. They said they won't know what it will require until they sand through the paint and verify corrosion. That's OK because I do know. New hood and paint matching on the front end.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I put my 2014 GT in the shop Wednesday the 5th. Still waiting the outcome as of Friday morning. The dealer didn't give me any guff about responsibility for repair. Will report back when it's done with what exactly was done.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

did you get it back yet?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:03 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

One week so far. Still waiting and driving a POS Focus loaner/rental.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Daleford
2nd Gear Member

I run a shop. It is a 2 day job. If it has been a week then it is one of two things:
1.They are dragging their *** on your job and not getting it done as quick as they should -or-
2.They are having problems.
I'd make a surprise visit to the repair shop - you have a right.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:25 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Just called the dealership. Service advisor says they are waiting on a new hood from Ford.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:36 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

if it was me i would tell them to have it ready for you to pick up and take home and to let you know when the hood comes in. I learned the hard way not to leave anything of value in the hands of someone else while waiting for parts. i lost big time, I told the dealership to keep my car in the garage at night they said ok, came by and it was sitting outside. I told them i wanted it inside again they said ok, they called me a couple days later to inform me that the car had at least 3000 dollars hail damage from a golf ball size hail storm from being left outside. since it was their word and not on paper they said it was my responsibility and my insurance would have to pay for it. I went to inspect the damage and found more damage on the car caused by their carelessness service staff. a scratched up leather seat, large long scratches in the trunk plastic from the parts they left in it, and the door jam had a gouge and a scratch thru the door sill all the way thru the paint to the metal. By the way the car had only 200 miles on it. They replaced the car but after that I never went to that dealership again. worst part is a friend works at the dealership, needless to say we are no longer on speaking terms after a few calls to Ford and the owner of the dealership. I realize thats not typical but believe me I will NEVER trust any dealership like that again. just my 2 cents!

Quick Reply: hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?