Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 PM
rinsect2000

Default So that is whats going on with my hood!

The top front of my black hood has a large patch of bubbles across the entire front edge! I tried all kinds of cleaning and buffing to no avail. So this thread is pointing me to corrosion.

Another paint issue is along the top of the rear valance. The flat horizontal area below the tail lights and trunk lid are all blasted rough. The rough surface ends just as it "hides" under the trunk lid lip and tail lights. When you open the trunk, the rest of the flat area is smooth.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:13 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

The top front of my black hood has a large patch of bubbles across the entire front edge!
That's corrosion. You can't fix it permanently. You have to replace it.

The latest news on my car is that the dealer called yesterday and asked me to take my car home without any work done. They say that they cannot get a new hood from Ford! Service Adviser says either they used up all spares on collisions, hail and corrosion or Ford has recalled all the spare hoods. He doesn't know which. He said they would continue to search for a hood and they are trying to get some answers out of Ford.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:28 PM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

yup there it is, the blow off, I have heard this done several times to people with hood corrosion. I have heard alot of offers to repaint the hood from stealerships it usually last long enough to get you out of warranty so they or ford dont have to pay.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 PM
12bigredstang
1st Gear Member

I have a sct tuner and can change the rpm limiter to whatever I want
so I would change it to 3000 rpm max before cutting out if I had to leave it with someone

luke from the cold north ehhhhhh
Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

For those of you that own a black car, there is never any need to shoot the fenders due to color match to the hood because well... black is black.
This is one color that will always match.
As a shop owner, I never blend on black cars unless the customer is willing to waste his money or the adjacent panel has a faded finish but it doesn't apply on a fairly new car.
Any other colors, all bets are off though. Especially silver and other light tint.

Also, never take your car to a dealer for body work, period.
I don't know what the percentage is but I'm willing to bet that less than 10% of them have a clue when it comes to painting.

Lastly, yes you can stop corrosion on an aluminum panel just like a steel one...with a tool called a sand blaster or media blaster for aluminum.
And epoxy primers only right after that...
I restored aluminum cars 20 years ago and they still win trophies at car shows.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:10 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

They didn't paint my whole hood when they fixed mine. Just the lip part and under the hood.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Mine has been dispositioned by Ford for a total hood replacement. Still waiting for a new hood since August 5, 2015. Dealer says there is a national shortage and can't tell me when I'll get my replacement.

I'm an aircraft QA Manager. The thing about aluminum repair is it is a crapshoot. Corrosion can migrate under the surface for several inches and pop up again. So, if you have a choice, I'd recommend replacement.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:41 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I got a call from the Service Advisor today. He said new hoods @ Ford (or supplier) are undergoing testing and will not be available until the 1st of next year. He said my warranty service ticket would remain open and they will call me when a hood is available for replacement.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Slick111

The problem aluminum corrosion problem starts with in the manufacturing process itself add a bit of trapped moisture or road salt and it exfoliates out under the paint Ford needs to tighten up its quality control process from the suppliers before it even stamps out any hoods.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Mr. Mac

Default And I'm still waiting...

Finally the dealership 'says' they have mine to be repainted next week. The service manager explained that they were having to repaint a lot of hoods and the shop they use can only do one at a time. And it will be a 5 day ordeal before they are done. Hmmm, we'll see. BTW if you are in Palm Bay FL on Nov. 1 PBFord is holding a Mustang show.

Quick Reply: hood repainting requiring entire front end/car to be repainted?