Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should a Ford dealership cover parts on my vehicle under warranty that were modified

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:38 PM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

If they are Ford Gears I think for should fix it all free, if they are after market a nice compromise might be you buy a set of for racing gears at cost then they do the rest free.
I wouldn't hold my breath ford's warranty is JUNK! I love the cars but hate dealing with service. I have 2 real big complaints that I was the person getting screwed.
1- 2004 mach 1 car was untouched well within warranty and I had a throw out bearing going bad. After 3 trips to the dealer someone FINALLY heard the noise. they agreed to fix it. I asked if I bought a new "better" clutch from them would they put it in free since they where already going to be doing it all and having it apart. NO they wouldn't offer me any discount on the hours quoted on the job. said if I added or changed anything I would be responsible for all the labor???? just BS IMHO. We also had a BIG disagreement on a loaner vehicle but that isn't fords problem.
2- My 2012 expedition - Lift gate rusted 33,000 miles and 34 months and 2 weeks (STILL IN WARRANTY) My local service center was busy and they couldn't get it in until the week after my warranty ran out. I suggested they took pictures as I didn't care when it was fixed I just wanted it covered and I was told by ford that my warranty is only good for when the shop physically takes the vehicle in.. What BS! so I lost 6 weeks off my warranty because they where busy?????? And I called ford and got the same answer!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default Bad times with dealers

I feel bad, as a former employee of Ford, that you are being treated this way. Its just bad business. If you cant stand behind the product you sell you arnt worth **** in my opinion.

In all honesty if I was dicked around like that I would trade in my Mustang on on a Challenger that day and Park it in front of the ford dealership for a day stand outside it and talk to folks about why i decided to buy a challenger instead of a mustang.

You are the customer, you hold the money you have all of the power. Don't let people rip you off. Without customers that dealer goes broke.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:23 PM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shane780
I feel bad, as a former employee of Ford, that you are being treated this way. Its just bad business. If you cant stand behind the product you sell you arnt worth **** in my opinion.

In all honesty if I was dicked around like that I would trade in my Mustang on on a Challenger that day and Park it in front of the ford dealership for a day stand outside it and talk to folks about why i decided to buy a challenger instead of a mustang.

You are the customer, you hold the money you have all of the power. Don't let people rip you off. Without customers that dealer goes broke.
After I got the Mach 1 fixed it wasn't about a month later I took my new GTO in and did just that, but liking the vehicles I later bought the expedition and after that I bought a dodge diesel 3500 and went down and swore off fords again.... well until I saw my current one lol. I have owned 37 vehicles and I am 32 years old. I am not talking junk mess either (first couple where I guess) What I have learned is they are all basically the same. Ford might be great now but in 2 years they might be crap, Dodges might all rust out now but doesn't mean that in 2 years Toyota might not be the rust buckets. and the business practices are the same. I blame the consumers in general, we all fight for the best $$$$ we say it's about everything else, service, convenience, etc but in the end we buy on price so dealers don't care about the other stuff.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default tough times with dealers

I come from a smaller town, so perhaps my overall experience has been different.
I am not vehicle biased, if a company makes a good product and it works as intended, Ill probably enjoy it. IE Dodge Challenger ! "THANKS DODGE !!!" Archer.
I don't own one yet but id like to have a Challenger to sit next to my Mustang. I like muscle cars in general.

My Ford dealer invites me to their annual Muscle Car BBQ and is interested in what I plan on doing next to my car. Never have I once had an issue that was not immediately resolved to my satisfaction. I even get calls after my oil changes to ask about the service I got.

I certainly am business biased though. If you **** me around Ill just let someone else enjoy the money I am going to spend.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:47 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

keep us posted. This one is different.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by RyanT600
Derf00, it was definitely checked off under "warranty". When I bought the car I went back and forth with the sales manager asking a million times if he's sure the car is under warranty because the car has a boss302 intake manifold and roush exhaust, so I was skeptical. He kept reassuring me it is all under warranty. So for them to now tell me this part I didn't even know about is going to void a part of my warranty, I'd be a little upset.

The Ford I brought it to just told me that Ford did deny the fix under warranty. But I'm going to bring it to the Ford I bought it from tomorrow and go from there.
What are the conditions of the warranty then? There should have been something you signed? Did the car state any of the modifications that were done to it in writing like the exhaust and intake manifold? If not then you have a pretty good chance of beating the dealer if you go to small claims court. They failed to disclose the mods and get the acknowledgement from you in writing. Verbal doesn't count in most states...