Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune is out

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:23 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Default Tune is out

NY inspection is coming around, and my 07 GT won't pass inspection with the Brenspeed 93 octane tune installed. Every year I have to put the stock tune in, change back to the original air inlet box, drive some miles, have the car inspected, and reverse the process.

Is there anyone from NY that passes their inspection with a CAI and a tune. Please don't tell me to have Brenspeed turn on the rear O2 sensors, that has already been done and it doesn't make a difference. I need to know from someone that has a 4.6L and a tune that is passing their vehicle inspection without reloading their stock tune.

The car is now like a dog with its teeth pulled, that tune makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited by Rocket Ray; 07-31-2015 at 08:24 AM. Reason: left a word out
Old 07-31-2015, 04:47 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

here in tx, ive passed emissions with steeda cai and 87 brenspeed tune. if all you have is a cai and nothing else, im not sure why it wouldn't pass. that said, why wont it pass? CEL? stored codes? if you have stock exhaust, why are the rear o2 sensors off? I ran brenspeed 93 tune all summer with no issues. changed back to 87 for fuel price savings on vacation trip. probably going to go back to 93 soon and will pass with flying colors in a few months when it needs inspedted again. if your getting the p1000 code prior to inspecting then it will fail. that code is stored after you clear codes, upgrade codes or do any computer related stuff. it will go away after so many miles/ drive cycles/starts. good luck
Old 08-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

The rear O2 sensors were never off. Everything is completely stock except for the tune. From what I understand, the new tune uses more computing power than the stock tune, leaving PCM unable to run the diagnostic routines as often as required to pass the inspection. I was just wondering that there must be someone in the entire state of NY that passes their inspection with a tune in the car. The tune throws no engine codes, when hooked up merely says sensors not ready.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:54 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

If the rear O2's never go ready, the rear O2's are off in the tune. Call Brenspeed again, talk to Brent or Doug and have them double check your tune. I would bet money something is still turned off.
I run their tune, make over 600 hp at the wheels and pass OBDII inspection everytime.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Rocket Ray
The rear O2 sensors were never off. Everything is completely stock except for the tune. From what I understand, the new tune uses more computing power than the stock tune, leaving PCM unable to run the diagnostic routines as often as required to pass the inspection. I was just wondering that there must be someone in the entire state of NY that passes their inspection with a tune in the car. The tune throws no engine codes, when hooked up merely says sensors not ready.
How long are you waiting from the time you swap the tune to the Stock one, to the time you go to the inspection station?

The 'Sensors Not Ready' message is just telling you the PCM hasn't completed it's Drive Cycle yet. It has nothing to do with PCM 'memory'.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

or

http://site.brenspeed.com/forums/drivecycleford.pdf
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

If I take the car with tune installed and have it hooked up to the OBD II port, the NY inspection software spews out a message saying sensors not ready. If I take the tune out, replace it with the stock tune and airbox, complete a drive cycle, have it inspected, it passes. Then I can put the Brenspeed tune and cai back in, and everything is fine. I want a tune that I don't have to swap out every freaking year. I am having the car inspected tomorrow, then I will put the tune back in.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

how many brenspeed tunes do you have for your car? what ever you do, it wont pass tomorrow as youll be messing with the comp and it will throw not ready codes. changing back to the stock air box and tune should take about 15 min since you've done this a time or two. I agree to contact brenspeed and see whats up. you shouldn't have to change things out just to pass emissions. your not in cali FFS.

Last edited by bl817; 08-04-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Ok, well my fears have come to pass. I had the car inspected (those of you who read all the posts should know I completed a drive cycle with the stock tune) and it passed. So I take it home, put the CAI back on and plug in the SCT2. Now the car won't load the tune, and I know I have at least three cycles left. Finally, it doesn't load up the new tune, but it does knock out all the gages and dash lights. So I guess I get to go to the Ford garage, have them reload the stock tune, and start all over again.

So I will repeat my question: Is there anyone in NY (not Texas, not Mass, not RI) that has a tune in their mustang that will pass NY state inspection, and doesn't have to reload it year after year?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

OBD II inspection is the same in all the states that require it. However, if you don't want to listen to advice from people who know what they're talking about, that's your prerogative. We are only trying to help.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:31 AM
JuicemanJ

Having same problem. I changed my starter last weekend and didn't even think about having the battery disconnected. So I went to smog today and got the obdii didn't finish running. I did have this problem last time as I reset to stock tune and put air box back on. And experienced the fail as I didn't drive long enough to reset all the tests. But when that happen last time I was able to plug my tuner and read when the error code was gone. This time I plugged tuner in and not getting any code. Also I decided to leave my Cai on and got questioned about it. Since I have a roush I was able to convince them it came that way. So my question is if I continue driving to complete the tests will it do me any good or since my tuner didn't detect a code i won't ever pass until I reset to stock? Also when If the answer is yes go back to stock once I drive it for awhile to reset do u think the Cai will make it throw any other codes on stock tune? I did notice that when I turn key to the on I get the 8 blinks after 15 seconds meaning the obdii hasn't finish running. So I might keep driving it for awhile and see if that stops happening.

Quick Reply: Tune is out