Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a "nearly new" '06 GT

Old 08-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Luclin999

Default Looking at a "nearly new" '06 GT

Aesthetically, I really like the look of the 2005-2009 series and am finally in a position to buy one. after a bit of searching, I found a 2006 fire red hardtop GT with only 6k miles that I am seriously considering.

Car looks to be in immaculate condition and runs beautifully. The plan is to take it to my mechanic on Monday to have him look it over but assuming that he doesn't find anything mechanically wrong with it I will probably go forward with the sale.

Question is: before I complete the purchase, are there any issues or common problems that are known to come up with this year/model Mustang that I should be aware of?

This would be my first Mustang so I am just trying to make sure that the car will be one that I am happy with so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2007. I think the 2005 -2009 are the best looking modern mustang. If you find one with that few miles, jump on it. Mine has 20K, but, although I would like to have the 5.0, I am going to keep my 2007. I have had no problems with my vehicle.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It is fairly common for the cowl drains to clog - it's the little rubber "spouts" (for lack of a better name) that the clogs actually settle into. Result is a water leak, and if the car exhibits strange electrical behaviors (horn inop, strange window operation, etc.) the Smart Junction Box got wet and needs replacement. This car may have had the SJB protection fix done already (an added shield for it, behind the passenger side kick panel).

The spark plugs on the early cars are notorious for breaking when you go to replace them. There might be a more durable plug design available (my car has the newer plugs, so I haven't kept much track of this matter).

There can be a rattle between the driver side exhaust pipe and (I think) the separator plate between the engine and the bellhousing at least on manual transmission cars.

As long as you keep the cowl drains clear, there don't seem to be any major issues in these cars at least in anything that falls within "normal driving". Beyond that, if you drag race/autocross/road-race/HPDE any car more than on just rare occasions, you're going to break stuff and wear stuff out a lot faster.

Norm
Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

have them take care of the plugs if you can talk them into it. its not a bad job but not fun either. the cowl clip gaskets are another source of water leak. front strut mounts and sway bar end links will develop a clunk sound over time if that car doesn't have it already. other than that, if its a good deal, go for it. good luck
Old 08-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Someday down the road if you fall into about $8k you can put a Roush Supercharger on it & be in the performance area of a new GT. 460 HP. I agree that model is the closest to the '69 Mustang looks. I miss my '08 a little!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:06 PM
MIDLIFER

I don't regret for a second buying my 07 GT/CS with 22K on it. I put a set of SLP Loud Mouth axle backs and this week an MGW shifter on it. I look forward to the weekends more than ever. I can't say enough positive about this car.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:02 PM
dseg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Luclin999
Aesthetically, I really like the look of the 2005-2009 series and am finally in a position to buy one. after a bit of searching, I found a 2006 fire red hardtop GT with only 6k miles that I am seriously considering.

Car looks to be in immaculate condition and runs beautifully. The plan is to take it to my mechanic on Monday to have him look it over but assuming that he doesn't find anything mechanically wrong with it I will probably go forward with the sale.

Question is: before I complete the purchase, are there any issues or common problems that are known to come up with this year/model Mustang that I should be aware of?

This would be my first Mustang so I am just trying to make sure that the car will be one that I am happy with so any help would be greatly appreciated.
A 2006 with only 6k miles? Nice! Did the guy even drive it?
My 2014 has 28k. I was convinced when I purchased it that I would NEVER become one of those guys that save their car miles. People that put 2k (LOL) miles on their car a year, what is the point of buying it? I never really understood those people.

I bought a cool car, I drive it...
Old 08-24-2015, 05:37 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Check the Hood (underside and front edge), and the trunk for the dreadful corrosion that is common on all 05-14's. If it is near the top surface of either, it is only a matter of time before it spreads to the top surfaces of both.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Of all of the TSB's on these S197's, the one for the water leak is the most concerning. Many don't notice the damp front passenger carpeting before the electrical gremlins begin. Best to have a mechanic intimately knowledgable on the S197.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:12 PM
12bigredstang
1st Gear Member

rust under the hood and trunk very common

Search this Thread