Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Change

Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Default Spark Plug Change

Hey all.

My car started to run a bit rough earlier this week. The it was only at idle, and it seemed fine when I was moving. No roughness, or anything. I figured the plugs were going bad, so I decided to change them.

Changed the plugs with NGK Iridium Plugs and some standard 7mm wires from AutoZone.

Everything went smooth, but on start up, the car sounds worse than before and now there is a gas smell at idle. The car itself sounds rough, as if it's only running on 3 cylinders, or atleast that's what it sounds like. Was wondering if anyone had any input on the issue. Should I return the plugs and try new ones? Should I try new wires?

I'll get a video in a moment to try and capture the sound.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:08 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Here are the videos.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Did you check for trouble codes? A reader can be your friend.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you got all the wires back on the correct plugs? Ask me how I know about mixing up the firing order, LOL.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:29 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

General consensus on the Ranger forums, (they have been running the 4.0L SOHC for long time now), is to go with Motorcraft Platinum, or the factory recommended replacement double Platinum, they don't seem to like Bosch, or iridium.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
General consensus on the Ranger forums, (they have been running the 4.0L SOHC for long time now), is to go with Motorcraft Platinum, or the factory recommended replacement double Platinum, they don't seem to like Bosch, or iridium.
+1 to that. We always recommend that our customers stick with the OEM recommended spark plugs when doing tune ups. Stick with Motorcraft or Autolite in your Ford, you won't be sorry.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:46 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Did you check for trouble codes? A reader can be your friend.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you got all the wires back on the correct plugs? Ask me how I know about mixing up the firing order, LOL.
The car isn't throwing any codes. All the lights are off. Wish something would have come on to give me some sort of indication on what was wrong.

I'm 99.9% sure I have the correct wires going to the right plugs. Passenger side from front to back is 1, 2, 3. The driver side is 4, 5, 6. The coil, starting in the upper left side going clockwise is 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5. I double checked that as that was my first guess.

The wires don't need anything special to be put on the coils do they? They just snap into place from what it looked like.

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Originally Posted by Granatelli Sales
+1 to that. We always recommend that our customers stick with the OEM recommended spark plugs when doing tune ups. Stick with Motorcraft or Autolite in your Ford, you won't be sorry.

Thanks guys. Didn't know that people had problems with these plugs. I'll go out tomorrow and just buy OEM's and replace them with that and return the other ones.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

You can check the wires with an old mechanics trick. start the engine at night when it's dark. Take a spray bottle with plain water and mist the spark plug wires and watch for sparks indicating leaky wires. Just a thought.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:50 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Alright guys. Thanks for all the suggestions. Went out, pulled all the plugs and found a horrible problem.

The #6 plug was completely bent. There was no gap. Good thing I didn't drI've the car at all. Unfortunately, I can't get my money back, but it's fine.

Put in new plugs and she runs better. There's still a few odd sounds, but nothing that sounds serious. Took it out for 60-ish miles, let the car cool down, pulled the #6 plug and all was fine.

Going to look deeper into the sounds that I'm hearing. It's only at idle. Going to clean the throttle body really good to see if that helps.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to stay away from NGK from now on.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Did you check the gaps before you installed them? I guess what I'm asking is, was the electrode bent when you installed it?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:04 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Yep. Checked the NGK and these new plugs before putting them on. Gapped both sets to .054

I pulled the new plug out of number 6 to see if it did the same thing, but it was totally fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change