Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires vs All Season for daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:35 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Winter Tires vs All Season for daily driving

Hey guys,

I need to buy some new tires. I have a spare set of old wheels that I am going to use as a winter set and I need to buy some tires.

Is there any real benefit for buying winter tires over all season if I all I am doing is mostly interstate driving back and forth to work?

Thank you.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:47 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Yes. Winter tires have superior traction than all seasons. I'm going to buy a set and might pull the trigger on blizzaks.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You live in Maryland and if your roads get plowed than I'd opt for a good AS. If you lived further north and in hill country with more possibilities of unplowed roads, then definitely a dedicated snow tire.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You live in Maryland and if your roads get plowed than I'd opt for a good AS. If you lived further north and in hill country with more possibilities of unplowed roads, then definitely a dedicated snow tire.
I have been using Pirelli AS for since I bought the mustang. Is is safe to assume this is good in your eyes?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I drove my 2012 once in the snow with the factory all season tires, then parked it unti I could put real winter tires on it. The difference is, I can drive comfortably in snow and ice, not "white knuckleing" around. Plus, I drive 3 seasons with great tires that handle much better than all season. Michelin pilot sport.
There is no down side on cost, your summer tires will have fewer miles each year and last longer.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:27 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The interstates defiantly get plowed, but not all the side roads (at least not right away).

That aside, does the winter tires loose their effectiveness on a plowed road? Meaning, if a road is plowed, does that mean that AS are synonymous with winter tires?

And do they loose any traction in water vs. AS? We get snow, but most of the time it is rainy.

I have been driving during winter with AS tires for several years and I know what to expect and how to handle the mustang in the snow. I am trying to get the whole picture of the advantages/disadvantages of either tire for use from late fall to mid spring when the rainy season has passed. Is it safer, am I less likely to loose control, etc.? If my driving habits remain constant, but I change to a dedicated tire vs. AS what will change?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Winter tires are 100% better than All Season in the winter. I've driven on both and the winter tires win hands down. Best I've found? Michelin Ice X.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Winter tires use a softer rubber than all season tires. If you use them in warm weather they will wear much faster.

Personally I live in Michigan and use all season Michelins and get by.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you can afford a set of dedicated winter tires, then that's the way I'd go. Even better to put those on a set of winter rims. If neither, then research the ratings for a/s's on sites like Tirerack.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:52 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
I have been using Pirelli AS for since I bought the mustang. Is is safe to assume this is good in your eyes?
if your Pirelli "all seasons" are the P-Zero Nero, then they're not "all season." They're worthless on snow. if it's cold and snowy where you live, get winter tires and use them when it's below 40°.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires vs All Season for daily driving