Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Rattle over bumps

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the onslaught of threads.

My mustang makes a hard rattle sound when I bumps in the road. I want to see it is coming from the front. I am about to change my LCA so I thought I would see if there something else I should replace while I have it apart so I dont' have to pay for another alignment.

Any suggestions of what I could inspect or do a few home tests to figure out what it is. Tighten x bolts to make sure something isn't loose, etc. My roommate replaced his struts last year and one was not seated right in the rear. It made a similar sound to his when he hit a bump, but I have not replaced mine. And they appear to be in good condition. FWIW, my mustang has 112k miles.

Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:36 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

I am chasing a similar sounding rattle in the front end on my 05 v6 have had control arms replaced A frame bushing tight shocks replaced not a brake rattle.running low on ideas, still rattles somewhere in the front end.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Check the front sway bar end inks. You'll need one wrench to hold the link the other to hold the bolt. Pretty common. Not saying for sure it's the issue but worth checking. I noticed it mostly going over speed bumps.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:30 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

thats a good idea. its on the rack right now gettng the rear floor pan braces replaced. had the brackets made, dealer cost was too expensive for me. i creep over speed bumps,mine talks to me on uneven concrete slab streets
Old 10-29-2015, 06:42 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

is it possible a strut may need replaced?
Old 10-29-2015, 05:14 PM
07MRMIKE

ive read hundreds of pages about the front end clunk on the 05-09 mustangs and the fix seems to point to the strut mounts. Im having mine replaced this Saturday with FORD RACING GT500 STYLE STRUT MOUNT , ill let you know if this works. Ive already replaced the front and rear sway bars, didnt help with the cluck,i hope this does it or its the LCA NEXT.

mIKE
Old 10-29-2015, 05:20 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

i hope that fixes it please keep me in the loop. gotta be in there somewhere?
Old 10-30-2015, 06:30 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07MRMIKE
ive read hundreds of pages about the front end clunk on the 05-09 mustangs and the fix seems to point to the strut mounts. Im having mine replaced this Saturday with FORD RACING GT500 STYLE STRUT MOUNT , ill let you know if this works. Ive already replaced the front and rear sway bars, didnt help with the cluck,i hope this does it or its the LCA NEXT.

mIKE
Be Blessed. Let us know. I am getting ready to replace my LCA, but that is because one is leaking fluid from the bushing. I kind of hope it is the lower control arm so I don't have to buy more parts. But then that would suck for you.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:00 AM
07MRMIKE

So here is the deal,, I had the GT500 Strut mounts installed this morning. It absolutely did away with front end cluck that was driving my nuts!! That being said after we got everything back together i noticed the drivers side wheel had a bit of slop to it. Turns out the LCA ball joint is on its way out. Not sure if i will order a complete set of LCA'S or just the ball joint. Its almost hibernation time for the stang.

As for the mounts, there awesome, the car feels better and much quieter up front.But dont forget the mounts fixed my issue but may not fix yours!

Mike
Old 11-02-2015, 06:44 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07MRMIKE
So here is the deal,, I had the GT500 Strut mounts installed this morning. It absolutely did away with front end cluck that was driving my nuts!! That being said after we got everything back together i noticed the drivers side wheel had a bit of slop to it. Turns out the LCA ball joint is on its way out. Not sure if i will order a complete set of LCA'S or just the ball joint. Its almost hibernation time for the stang.

As for the mounts, there awesome, the car feels better and much quieter up front.But dont forget the mounts fixed my issue but may not fix yours!

Mike
The ball joint went out on my LCA. I have plans to replace the whole LCA on both sides as the bushing is bad on the one with the bad ball joint too. And since the car is about 10 years old and am I am replacing one LCA, I thought I would go ahead and do both since I doubt I will get another 10 years out of the other one.

Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: Rattle over bumps