Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake issue help please

Old 10-30-2015, 09:42 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake issue help please

Lately i noticed my brakes are not stopping like they use to, with normal driving i have to depress pretty close to the floor for the car to stop. Sometimes even with my brakes floored car rolls abit before stopping. I have my car for almost 3 years now with little over 21k miles. I havent done a brake fluid flush yet , not sure if that can be the case. Would worn out pads do that too? Any ideas?

I did more research and i think i might have a brake booster problem.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Diagn...8571669/g.html
Did couple brake booster testing according to this article. I passed the vacuum hose test which is pumping the brake till the its stiff with engine off then turn the engine back on and lightly press the brake pedal see if it goes down normally. Weird thing is i remenber having to pump 3-4 times before brake pedal is stiff but now 1 pump does it.
The second test was to see if booster can maintain a vacuum. In park idle for a minute, full depress and hold the brakes before shutting the engine down. The brake should stay in place but mine raised up. According to the article is a faulty booster. Can anyone test this on their car?

Last edited by winkawak; 10-31-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Without reading the article you linked and by reading your description I can almost guarantee it's not the Brake Booster. A bad booster will just make the brakes harder to push, not make it to where you have to pump them.

Having to pump the pedal or having the pedal to the floor and still not fully stopping is a hydraulic issue. It could be the master cylinder is going out you have a ton of air in the system. Air can be compressed, brake fluid cannot thus the spongy feeling typically associated with air in the system.

How's the fluid level in the reservoir? It should be below max but above min since you've never replaced the pads (wear will cause the fluid level to drop a bit). If you are below Min, check for leaks at all four corners. You could be losing fluid somewhere.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:47 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

You probably have air in your system, have the system bled with new fluid, I recommend Motul RBF600 and some decent pads. EBC redstuff unless you do track days, if you do track it get yellowstuff.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:29 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Even though you got that low of mileage does not mean the car doesn't already need brake pads. It all depends on the driving habits of the driver. I have seen people go through pads with only 4,000 miles on them. Plus if there is a issue with the brake system your car is still under warranty, take it in to the dealer. Though if it does need brake pads, that will not be covered under warranty.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 11-03-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:37 AM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Without reading the article you linked and by reading your description I can almost guarantee it's not the Brake Booster. A bad booster will just make the brakes harder to push, not make it to where you have to pump them.

Having to pump the pedal or having the pedal to the floor and still not fully stopping is a hydraulic issue. It could be the master cylinder is going out you have a ton of air in the system. Air can be compressed, brake fluid cannot thus the spongy feeling typically associated with air in the system.

How's the fluid level in the reservoir? It should be below max but above min since you've never replaced the pads (wear will cause the fluid level to drop a bit). If you are below Min, check for leaks at all four corners. You could be losing fluid somewhere.
I wouldnt say brake pedal is soft or hard, its the correct resistance. I did more researching and its very likely to be a malfunctioning brake booster, the link i provided i failed the second test which holding your brake pedal down and turning off your engine. The pedal should remain where it is if it doesnt its a faulty booster. I also sometimes gets air squeals when i press on the brake pedal which indicates leakage in the booster and as for the fluid its near full. To be sure i even asked around like scotty kilmer (mechanic on utube) he also told me to replace my booster.

I ordered a gt500 brake booster from am should be coming in tomorrow, ill install it during the weekend along brake fluid flush/bleed the same time. As for the brake pad i think im alright i dont do heavy braking.

Last edited by winkawak; 11-04-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Chad@Amp’D
Former Sponsor

Good luck hope it works out for you.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:08 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

I received my package today only to find heavy damage on the shipping box(a large hole 2" in diameter,a dozen smaller holes and a cracked open edge of the box) along with a nice dent on the booster. I have ordered from AM before and this has to be the worst packaging so far, only a sheet of brown paper was used as cushion.The item number also does not match up with the item number from their product page which should be DR3Z-2005-B, instead i have 2 different part numbers. Step it up AM.......always have issues when ordering from you guys!

Last edited by winkawak; 11-04-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Chad@Amp’D
Former Sponsor

That sucks man.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:01 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Why arent you taking this in for a warranty repair?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:33 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Why arent you taking this in for a warranty repair?
Because its a easy repair/upgrade i can do myself that doesnt cost me much but most importantly i dont have to deal with incompetent dealer. I had too many bad experience with dealer warranty work and yes i have try dealers all around me even 1 hour away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake issue help please