Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMR Watts link installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:27 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default BMR Watts link installed!

Some of you may already know that BMR came out with their Watts link not too long ago. I've always wanted a Watts link and when BMR announced they were developing one with an attractive price point I decided to wait for it. I ordered one through Late Model Restoration and installed it over the weekend. The install took longer than expected. They say it should take 3-4 hrs but there were a few issues that made it take much longer for me. Probably about 12 hrs split between Saturday and Sunday with a lot of breaks and a couple of runs to the hardware store. The instructions kinda suck. It doesn't tell you where every washer goes but I figured it out. It doesn't mention any torque specs for a lot of the bolts (e.g., axle clamp bolts). It only says to "tighten" them. Only a few bolts had torque specs.

Now for the issues...

I had to lengthen the outboard hole in the driver's side crossmember mount because I couldn't get the bolt started. The guy in this Youtube video had the same issue. Skip to 7:37.

I took a dremel to the crossmember hole in the area under the blue line to allow insertion of bolt. You only need to grind a little off. Just enough to get the bolt started.

The other issue was the cheap lock nut they give you for the axle mounts (piece that bolts to the axle clamps) that requires 80 ft/lbs of torque. I didn't even reach the torque spec when the lock nut suddenly turned freely. Bad. Real bad. Cheap nut got stripped. Word of advice. Go to your hardware store BEFORE the install and pick up 2 pcs of grade C (8), 1/2-20 lock nuts. You can send me a Hallmark card to thank me later. The other side was also nearly stripped. Didn't notice until I removed it later to adjust the axle centering. More later.

Get yourself new lock nuts like the one on the left. New lock nut is taller with more threads and of course stronger at grade C, i.e. 8.
Name:  20151108_191825_zpsk4nyqqnf.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  148.9 KB

Another issue...Some of the bolts in the axle clamps are a bit too long and makes contact at end of bolt travel. I had to use lock washers to prevent it.

Passenger side:
Name:  20151108_132537_zpsw4ogdfyz.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  78.2 KB

Driver's side:
Name:  20151108_163917_zps87eh7ve9.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  122.8 KB

That's it for the issues.

Now some miscellaneous pics.

I used an angle finder and set the links as close to zero degrees as possible.
Name:  20151108_164207_zps56rpoodn.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  113.6 KB

Setting angle of axle clamps to match center of crossmember. Should be close to 90°. My crossmember angle was 91° so I set the axle clamps to 91°. Make sure axle is loaded to simulate ride height. I had mine on jack stands.
Name:  20151107_182354_zpsgleb71pv.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  141.5 KB

I mentioned earlier about the discovery of the other axle mount nut being nearly stripped. This was during one of the most time consuming parts of the install which is the centering of the axle. Instructions do not tell you how. I had to figure it out myself. This was a Bitch with a capital B. I didn't notice the poly/rod end links weren't adjustable on the car when I made the purchase. If I had known, I would've purchased model WL006 which is rod ends on both sides and double adjustable. This would save a lot of time.

At first I tried removing one of the end links at the axle mount (poly end) and shorten or lengthen them depending on which way I want the axle to go. This caused a problem where I can't reinsert the bolt because the hole in the poly bushing no longer lines up with the axle mount hole. Argh! I finally decided to try, with hesitation, to remove the pivot assembly in the center and leave the other end link connected. In this case, I had removed the driver's side end link at the axle mount and the pivot assembly and left the passenger side untouched. I shortened the driver's side link 3/16". I then lengthened the passenger side 3/16" by turning the pivot assembly which in turn spins the rod end. I then finish by reinstalling the driver's side link first which is easy because the poly bushing hole now matches up with the axle mount since the pivot is dangling in the middle. Lastly, I position the pivot assembly into place and tighten everything down. I had to do this process three times. Each time having to take the car off jack stands to measure how much each tire sticks out. Like I said, Bitch with a capital B. lol

Remove the three roll center adjustment bolts to remove pivot assembly.
Name:  20151108_163830_zpscoflu9vm.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  20151108_163838_zpsvtj56vcm.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  120.4 KB

This is probably BMR's first production run and they'll probably have some of the issues ironed out eventually. They're not major issues. Just mainly some cheap nuts, bolts that are a bit too long and that hole I had to dremel out.

All in all it was worth it. The rear feels less twitchy on rough roads. It feels more planted and smooth. This is probably my second favorite mod next to the Whipple. I should've done it a long time ago.

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 11-10-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:35 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for this excellent post, I was on the fence between this one and the Cortex watts link. Your post just made the decision a no-brainer. I know it's almost twice as expensive but I'm going to go with the Cortex, I don't want something breaking on the track and sending the car against the guardrails. The BMR looks like a good street piece though, just not track resistant enough.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Thanks for this excellent post, I was on the fence between this one and the Cortex watts link. Your post just made the decision a no-brainer. I know it's almost twice as expensive but I'm going to go with the Cortex, I don't want something breaking on the track and sending the car against the guardrails. The BMR looks like a good street piece though, just not track resistant enough.
Don't let the minor issues I had steer you away from considering the BMR unit. Sure the install was a pain but it was worth it. They just need to include better nuts for the axle mounts (not the same as axle clamps). The BMR Watts link is a strong, solid piece with nice welds all around. It's beefier than the Fays2 which is one of the reasons why I got it and plus the price was attractive. BMR said the current price might not last long. At least that's what they said during development. When I was looking for a Watts link, I read a blog on Steeda's website about Watts links. It compared axle mounted vs chassis mounted pivots. Here's the link...

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2013/08/s...ng-watts-link/

I decided I wanted a chassis mounted unit and got the BMR one when it came out. I didn't like the look of Steeda's Watts link and someone said their passenger axle clamp hangs too low for a lowered car.

The Cortex Watts link is a nice unit but I didn't like the fact that the center pivot is axle mounted on the pumpkin. It does look a hell of a lot easier to install though.

Anyway, I've been doing some spirited driving to and from work and around town and the car feels so much better now. I can take corners faster without the rear feeling loose like it did before. Bumpy roads are a breeze. Oh, and there's no noise in the rear now. My aftermarket panhard bar used to clack, clack, clack going over bumps.

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 11-10-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:19 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Got a point there. I might get the BMR and just replace all the fasteners with quality ones. The unit itself looks well built, but as you said the Cortex looks much easier to install.

I just read the Steeda article. Interesting pitch for their overpriced contraption. The BMR and Fays look much better built and are 1/2 the price. I know Sam Strano likes the Fays. Don't know if he has seen the BMR yet, but if he has I wish he'd pitch in, I swear I'm getting a headache with the roll center thing.

I wonder why Ford didn't go with a Watts link, even the Crown Vic had one.

Last edited by flash_xx; 11-11-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:31 AM
BMR Tech

I saw your link on our YouTube video and I wanted to jump in here and address a few things for you.

First things first, I'm sorry about the issues that you've had with your kit. This certainly isn't the norm with our parts, but we have had some growing pains with the Watts kit. Unfortunately with new products, especially those as complicated as the Watts, we can't always nail them on the first shot (no matter how hard we try!). I have spoken with the designer about getting the hole slotted on the pivot mount to avoid that bolt fitment issue in the future.

We have also addressed the axle clamp bolts being too long. I had the same issue on my car when I was installing the WL005. I ended up using 3/8 by 1" bolts, so we made the change to our hardware pack to include these in kits going forward. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to get a set sent out to you so that you can swap them out. 20 ft-lbs for those bolts and they're good to go! It doesn't take a lot of torque to keep the clamps in place.

The pivot nuts that you stripped out were not the correct hardware for the WL kit. I'm not sure how they ended up there, but you should have had some nuts similar to what you purchased.

Again, I'm sorry that you had issues with your kit. This was an early kit and we were battling issues with the first few kits. It's a new kit for everyone, so our assembly guys are learning new parts, new hardware packets, and trying to keep up with the changes we had to make on the fly. Things have settled down and the issues with the WL should be all sorted now. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your kit though, and if you have any other issues or things you need addressed, don't hesitate to contact me!

Got a point there. I might get the BMR and just replace all the fasteners with quality ones. The unit itself looks well built, but as you said the Cortex looks much easier to install.

I just read the Steeda article. Interesting pitch for their overpriced contraption. The BMR and Fays look much better built and are 1/2 the price. I know Sam Strano likes the Fays. Don't know if he has seen the BMR yet, but if he has I wish he'd pitch in, I swear I'm getting a headache with the roll center thing.

I wonder why Ford didn't go with a Watts link, even the Crown Vic had one.
The fasteners we include in the Watts are quality, zinc coated grade 8 and 10.9 nuts and bolts. Unfortunately it appears that there were just a few mix ups with the hardware packet in some of our early kits. Rest assured, we don't use junk hardware. No need to replace the hardware.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:32 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I see LMR.COM has them in stock. Are those from the first batch or do they include the improvements?
Old 11-11-2015, 11:52 AM
BMR Tech

I see LMR.COM has them in stock. Are those from the first batch or do they include the improvements?
They are likely from the first batch.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:17 PM
BMR Tech

Don't worry though, we will get you all squared away if you have any issues with the hardware in the kit. You can always give me a call and we can go over everything to verify that it's all correct. Alternatively, a couple quick pictures emailed to me will allow me to see and make sure it's all correct.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:37 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

LMR is where I got mine.

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
I saw your link on our YouTube video and I wanted to jump in here and address a few things for you.

First things first, I'm sorry about the issues that you've had with your kit. This certainly isn't the norm with our parts, but we have had some growing pains with the Watts kit. Unfortunately with new products, especially those as complicated as the Watts, we can't always nail them on the first shot (no matter how hard we try!). I have spoken with the designer about getting the hole slotted on the pivot mount to avoid that bolt fitment issue in the future.

We have also addressed the axle clamp bolts being too long. I had the same issue on my car when I was installing the WL005. I ended up using 3/8 by 1" bolts, so we made the change to our hardware pack to include these in kits going forward. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to get a set sent out to you so that you can swap them out. 20 ft-lbs for those bolts and they're good to go! It doesn't take a lot of torque to keep the clamps in place.

The pivot nuts that you stripped out were not the correct hardware for the WL kit. I'm not sure how they ended up there, but you should have had some nuts similar to what you purchased.

Again, I'm sorry that you had issues with your kit. This was an early kit and we were battling issues with the first few kits. It's a new kit for everyone, so our assembly guys are learning new parts, new hardware packets, and trying to keep up with the changes we had to make on the fly. Things have settled down and the issues with the WL should be all sorted now. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your kit though, and if you have any other issues or things you need addressed, don't hesitate to contact me!

The fasteners we include in the Watts are quality, zinc coated grade 8 and 10.9 nuts and bolts. Unfortunately it appears that there were just a few mix ups with the hardware packet in some of our early kits. Rest assured, we don't use junk hardware. No need to replace the hardware.
I'm just glad everything worked out and the Watts link is working great. I understand there may be some issues when a new product comes out. I had that thought in mind when I ran into these problems.

The pivot nuts stripping was pretty frustrating though when I was so close to being done and I had to run out to the hardware store at 6-7pm on a Sunday. lol

There's no need to send me shorter axle mount bolts. Thanks for offering though. I've already put lock washers under the bolts in question to prevent contact. I'm not getting under there again. I nearly knocked myself out when the passenger side link swung down off the crossmember and smacked me in the face because I had put it up there temporarily out of the way so I can work. I tightened all of the axle clamp bolts pretty good. I didn't want those suckers coming off. If they only need 20 ft/lbs of torque then I should be golden.

There's a couple of other small issues I need to mention. Your instructions had me scratching my head with IMAGE 5. I was looking all over for the two lock washers and some of the hardware on the list isn't in the picture although they were in the kit. I figured since all of the nuts are the poly-lock kind then the lock washers were probably left out for that reason.
Name:  20151111_181652_zpsxrticwff.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  108.3 KB

Also, on your website, the description for WL005 appears to have been a copy and paste from the description for WL006. Under Description, It says, "The links are built from heavy-duty aluminum with left and right hand threaded 5/8-inch rod ends for easy on-car adjustability" and under Features, it says "Double Adjustable." I know for a fact they're not adjustable on the car. lol

Name:  Screenshot%2010_zpslrbwdtqe.png
Views: 920
Size:  182.0 KB

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 11-11-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 AM
BMR Tech

I should have elaborated on my first response to this, but if you happen to purchase a kit from one of our distributors, I'd be happy to go over all the hardware with you to make sure it's correct. If it's not, I'll get the correct hardware out to you.

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
LMR is where I got mine.

I'm just glad everything worked out and the Watts link is working great. I understand there may be some issues when a new product comes out. I had that thought in mind when I ran into these problems.

The pivot nuts stripping was pretty frustrating though when I was so close to being done and I had to run out to the hardware store at 6-7pm on a Sunday. lol

There's no need to send me shorter axle mount bolts. Thanks for offering though. I've already put lock washers under the bolts in question to prevent contact. I'm not getting under there again. I nearly knocked myself out when the passenger side link swung down off the crossmember and smacked me in the face because I had put it up there temporarily out of the way so I can work. I tightened all of the axle clamp bolts pretty good. I didn't want those suckers coming off. If they only need 20 ft/lbs of torque then I should be golden.

There's a couple of other small issues I need to mention. Your instructions had me scratching my head with IMAGE 5. I was looking all over for the two lock washers and some of the hardware on the list isn't in the picture although they were in the kit. I figured since all of the nuts are the poly-lock kind then the lock washers were probably left out for that reason.

Also, on your website, the description for WL005 appears to have been a copy and paste from the description for WL006. Under Description, It says, "The links are built from heavy-duty aluminum with left and right hand threaded 5/8-inch rod ends for easy on-car adjustability" and under Features, it says "Double Adjustable." I know for a fact they're not adjustable on the car. lol
I think one of the links almost took me out when I was installing mine too lol.

I've got the site updated and brought the instruction error to my designers attention. Hopefully we will have a revised set and a revised image up quickly. You are correct in assuming that the lock washers on the pivot aren't necessary!

Quick Reply: BMR Watts link installed!