Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 mustang gt transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 AM
mdj89
1st Gear Member

Default 2006 mustang gt transmission fluid

I have a 2006 mustang gt with 0ver 82,000 miles an was wondering if I need to change my transmission fluid or not?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:38 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If it's an automatic you have to be careful those are sealed transmissions and it's hard to gauge how much fluid to put back in. Best to take it to an experienced shop.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:54 AM
mdj89
1st Gear Member

Yes it is an automatic an I bought the car used an im assuming its never been changed.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Yes, it should be changed for transmission longevity. And, you can do it yourself, but it will be a bit messy. To DIY, you need to find a transmission drain plug fill adapter (these are cheap). Easy enough to do. All the tool trucks carry them, and probably parts stores. Then get a hand pump that fits quart bottles at any parts store. Get a new trans filter too.

How to:
-Car needs to be lifted to make this easier and less messy.
-Remove trans drain plug, just like you would for the engine oil.
-Once oil stop coming out of the hole, remove the pan. Keep the pan level while lowering it, or you will have a some slosh out when you least expect it.
-Change filter. Clean the inside of the pan. Dry it well.
-Put the fill adapter in the drain hole.
-install pan
-use the pump and hose that came with it. Slide hose over the adapter and pump away with 6 qts of correct trans fluid. There will be some fluid that comes out of the adapter when you switch to the 5th or 6th quart. Don't let this fool you into thinking its already full. Its not. The length the adapter sticks into the pan is suppose to be the full indication. When you have everything out, it is easy to understand what I am talking about.
-Once all 6 qts are in, swap out the adapter to the drain plug. This part involves sticking your finger over the hole to keep fluid from pouring out. Having a second body there to assist changing over each quart to the pump would be very much advised, since you must also put a finger over the hole for the last 2qts
Clean up your mess and enjoy a job well done. Of course, you may curse considerably if the fluid escapes your finger seals knowing you just made a huge oil spot on the pavement below.

To make this easier next time around, buy an aftermarket pan with a dipstick. Never make messes again with this.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 02-04-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:33 PM
mdj89
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks, also is it recommended to change gear oil on that mustang in the rear end?
Old 02-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdj89
Ok thanks, also is it recommended to change gear oil on that mustang in the rear end?
My 2007 Owner's Guide says, "Ford design rear axles contain a synthetic lubricant that does not require changing unless the axle has been submerged in water."

Since you don't know the history of the car, I guess it couldn't hurt to change the rear axle lubricant. Since you have a GT, you need to also add 4 oz. of Additive Friction Modifier because of the Traction-Lok axle.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:52 PM
mdj89
1st Gear Member

Ok thats all I wanted to know. Thank you'll so much for the help. I really appreciate it
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Drophead08
1st Gear Member

Last time I went to a Jiffy Lube type place they did not drain the trans fluid but ran it though some kind of 'regeneration' cycle or something like that. They pumped it out, ran it thru a machine, and pumped it right back into the transmission. Have y'all ever heard of that? They said they didn't drain and fill trannys any more.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:00 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Don Sprinkle
Last time I went to a Jiffy Lube type place they did not drain the trans fluid but ran it though some kind of 'regeneration' cycle or something like that. They pumped it out, ran it thru a machine, and pumped it right back into the transmission. Have y'all ever heard of that? They said they didn't drain and fill trannys any more.
That's a new one to me. Tranny fluid is not that expensive, so I don't understand why they would "regenerate" it as opposed to changing it. Personally I would prefer new fluid. Everything breaks down, so I really question the "regeneration" they are selling.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Don Sprinkle
I don't recall ever hearing that before. Isn't there a filter that needs replacing? It's like changing your engine oil, but not changing the filter. Why are you going to a place like that?

Quick Reply: 2006 mustang gt transmission fluid