Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling issue-very modified 2005 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:47 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Go back to the stock coils they are far better than the Accel coils, the stalling could be tune related. If you don't mind me asking who tuned the car?
Old 03-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Is your throttle body stock or aftermarket
This and how clean is it?
Old 03-08-2016, 10:43 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Nice to know I am not the only one with a mystery stall issue. Had it for several years now. The car isn't driven much so its not really a priority. But it has absolutely no repeatability to it. It can happen at any time...or not. Hot, cold, highway, idling, cruising, etc. It does not matter. I have only exhaust, and procharger added. I also installed a GT500 fuel pump and module when the factory pump died. I too, have plenty of mechanic experience, as I owned a shop for 12 years. I am far from mechanically dumb. This one has me stumped. I have datalogged and see absolutely nothing. I have paid attention EVERY time I drive when this happens. Done different things to see its effects. Nothing. If I am going down the highway, it will stall for about 1-4 seconds, then go again like nothing happened. If sitting still, then obviously a restart is necessary. Since the datalogger refreshes every second, the window to see the problem is very small.
My car was used by Procharger as the guinea pig for automatic equipped boosted Mustangs. They also used it to develop the MAF mounting position at the intercooler outlet. Problem started before the MAF relocation. Since the tune has been brought up, that gets me to thinking about that. But then again, the tune would have been changed when it was moved. The MAF has been changed with a new Ford sensor. The DiabloSport MAFia used for the sensor extension has been changed 4 times (free from Procharger thankfully). I had come to the point of just waiting until it gets bad enough that it will happen frequently enough or not run at all. That's the problem with this intermittent crap. Especially when it acts up only just long enough for it to stall, and is able to restart just fine. Makes it virtually impossible to find until it becomes a permanent problem. So, I might have to give Procharger a call today and ask if they have a new tune file I can try out.

Something is cutting fuel or spark since that's the only reasons an engine stalls. My datalogging registers no airflow when it occurs, but of course when the engine stalls, there is no airflow. duh! The logger does not record fuel pressure though. So I have yet to rig up a pressure gauge to drive around and watch that.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:34 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

So with the idea of it being possibly in the tune, I have arranged to have one of the ProCharger guys take at look a it. Will be dropping off the car tonight and let them have at it until they find the problem.....or can't stop scratching their heads

I will update the thread when I know something.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 03-08-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:16 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
Something is [B]cutting fuel or spark[ since that's the only reasons an engine stalls. My datalogging registers no airflow when it occurs, but of course when the engine stalls, there is no airflow. duh! The logger does not record fuel pressure though. So I have yet to rig up a pressure gauge to drive around and watch that.
Go back to your stock coils! Its been very well documented that the stock COPS are far better than aftermarket. No gain from aftermarket coils other than their color under hood.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:22 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I have never changed the coils from stock
Old 03-21-2016, 09:09 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Got my car back Sat morning. The idle table of the tune got changed. Raised the idle number to 2.3. I plan on driving it every day this week to see if the problem remains or has disappeared.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:38 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Now that's its been over a couple hundred miles, it has only done it once. So changing the idle values obviously has an effect on the stalling issue. I will let it go as it is for now, to see if the one time was a fluke or if it continues to stall at a less frequent pace than before.