Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PaceSetter Long Tube Headers and H pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Taiwan Cameron

Question PaceSetter Long Tube Headers and H pipe

Purchased Pacesetter Long tube headers with shorty H mid pipe from American Muscle currently sanding the headers down so I can coat them in high temp paint. Does Anyone know a Good manual or video/link for the install, I do have a general idea of how to do it would be appreciated if someone can supply a reference. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

It's off another site and some of the pics don't work now, but this one is very good:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...rochamber.html

I did mine a couple years ago (in my garage on jackstands) and have had them out and back in since then as well. It's really not a bad install, expect to spend some time removing the stock stuff. Soak all the manifold studs and nuts in PB Blaster for at least a day (preferably longer) before you start, it will help a lot. I also mangled my dipstick tube removing it because it was so hard to get out and had to order a new one, hopefully yours is easier.

Also if you're doing the install without a lift make sure you get the car at least a foot and a half off the ground, possibly more, you'll need the room to get the headers in and out.

BTW- a sandblaster would be preferable to really strip those headers good if you want to paint them. Make sure you paint the inside of the tubes too, Eastwood sells header paint with a special tube on it to coat the inside of the headers, I'd recommend looking into it.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Taiwan Cameron

Really appreciate the help, the Instructions look good! I do have access to a lift and engine lift as well so hopefully that will help speed up the process I was looking into some of the stuff you recommended and I do agree that these will be very useful here are some links let me know if I got the right stuff.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-hi-temp-i...ension-tu.html
Old 03-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Taiwan Cameron

sand blaster-
Amazon.com: Campbell Hausfeld AT1226 Sandblasting Kit: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Campbell Hausfeld AT1226 Sandblasting Kit: Home Improvement

PB blaster- http://www.ebay.com/itm/221573907773
Old 03-03-2016, 07:12 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

That's the right paint. Be forewarned, I have used that stuff, it spits out a ton of paint because of how the nozzle is designed and it was running out of the header tubes while I was doing it. Takes a little practice to get used to but it seems to coat pretty well.

I take it you have access to an air compressor? Wasn't saying that you need to buy a sandblasting kit, just that it's preferable to get all the old paint and whatever else off. I'm a little spoiled because my father in law has a sandblaster at his shop with a huge cabinet that I can use whenever I want.

Oh, and you can get PB Blaster at any auto parts store, no need to order it off ebay.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:03 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

How's the Fit on the pacesetters? I want LTH's but on an 8 year old car it makes no sense to invest in 1200 dollar headers plus the cost of the downpipe
Old 03-04-2016, 08:36 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Why not look at JBA's or someone else that's more of a mid price range? Pacesetters have a good price but for me personally, having dealt with mild steel headers in the past, I didn't want to go down that road again.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:48 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I looked at the JBA's but read somewhere that the fit isn't very good, anyone here has them? or can recommend a brand that fits properly and comes in under 600 dollars? I'd love to be able to afford Kooks or ARH but I have other priorities, like decent wheels/tires for track days. Car needs better handling more than power.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Taiwan Cameron

Haven't put them on yet due to fact that I'm still waiting for parts in the mail just received the O2 extenders today. Finally stripped all the paint off the headers and sanded them down. Right now I'm picking up some vht primer from AutoZone and will prime them then coat them in high temp header paint Thursday. Do you think I should coat the o/r H pipe too? most likely installing next week.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Taiwan Cameron

Also ordered/received the ford racing gaskets yesterday. Thank god for those the ones that come with the headers are complete trash lol.

Quick Reply: PaceSetter Long Tube Headers and H pipe