Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:33 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

It read no fault codes because when you disconnected the battery you cleared them out of the memory. You should have waited for the code reader since you spent the money on it.
So, the cel will either pop back up at some point or not, if it doesn't then it was likely just a one time thing.
The vacuum readings you got are typical, 15-20 on idle & coast, approaching zero in wide open throttle, unless you are boosted with a supercharger or turbo in which case it will go from suck to blow on WOT.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:37 AM
stwarrior23

Originally Posted by danzcool
It read no fault codes because when you disconnected the battery you cleared them out of the memory. You should have waited for the code reader since you spent the money on it.
So, the cel will either pop back up at some point or not, if it doesn't then it was likely just a one time thing.
The vacuum readings you got are typical, 15-20 on idle & coast, approaching zero in wide open throttle, unless you are boosted with a supercharger or turbo in which case it will go from suck to blow on WOT.
i did get the code reader, it came early! Is there any other things i should look at or graph well driving, like fuel trim or any other numbers to diagnose my rough idle?
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Does your scanner show LT fuel trim and ST fuel trim?
If not, then you are going to have to wait until the light comes back on to check the code. If it does. Disconnecting the battery cleared the ECU memory.

At least you now have the reader handy for the next time.

You need to understand that a code reader is not a diagnosis. It is just a tool used to get started in the right direction. Gives you an idea of where to look instead of just completely guessing.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 03-10-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:52 AM
stwarrior23

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
If not, then you are going to have to wait until the light comes back on to check the code. If it does. Disconnecting the battery cleared the ECU memory.

You need to understand that a code reader is not a diagnosis. It is just a tool used to get started in the right direction. Gives you an idea of where to look instead of just completely guessing.
im pretty sure it does, what should be looking for in the numbers?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:06 AM
stwarrior23

umm it has a lot of fuel trims

fuel trim bank 1 long term
fuel trim bank 1 sensor 1
fuel trim bank 1 sensor 2
fuel trim bank 1 sensor 3
fuel trim bank 1 sensor 4
fuel trim bank 1 short term
fuel trim bank 2 long term
fuel trim bank 2 sensor 1
fuel trim bank 2 sensor 2
fuel trim bank 2 sensor 3
fuel trim bank 2 sensor 4
fuel trim ban 2 short term
Old 03-10-2016, 12:36 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Just the ST/LT from Bank 1/2. not the sensors.

Also, if codes 171/174 or an evap code is why the light were on, it will take more than 2 start cycles for it to return. I assume by now you have started it more than twice. This is still all speculation until a code comes up, but I will still stick to 171/174. Which ends up meaning there is a vacuum leak somewhere. Odds are at the plastic upper manifold to the cylinder head.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:54 PM
stwarrior23

Just the ST/LT from Bank 1/2. not the sensors.

Also, if codes 171/174 or an evap code is why the light were on, it will take more than 2 start cycles for it to return. I assume by now you have started it more than twice. This is still all speculation until a code comes up, but I will still stick to 171/174. Which ends up meaning there is a vacuum leak somewhere. Odds are at the plastic upper manifold to the cylinder head.
Man I just wanna say how much of a help you have been and how thankful I am for you to help me this much.

Yeah I've started it probably a dozen times and I did a 0-60 yesterday and started it 2 or 3 times since then so idk if it will come back. But I'm gonna graph some of the data like intake, maf and the fuel and see from there? Just monitor the graphs and see what happens
Old 03-10-2016, 09:26 PM
stwarrior23

Originally Posted by stwarrior23
Man I just wanna say how much of a help you have been and how thankful I am for you to help me this much.

Yeah I've started it probably a dozen times and I did a 0-60 yesterday and started it 2 or 3 times since then so idk if it will come back. But I'm gonna graph some of the data like intake, maf and the fuel and see from there? Just monitor the graphs and see what happens
So I uploaded 2 photos from my scanner on fuel trim, the first is at idle and the 2nd is at 2500 rpm in park.
the red line is FT long term and the green is FT short term and blue is MAF rate(isnt on the 2nd photo).

it seems like the LT is staying constant at 18% no matter what rpm and then the ST fluctuates to around 5% when there is around 2500 rpm.

So im thinking that the ST is normal but shouldn't the LT be around zero too?
Attached Thumbnails Check engine light-screenshot_2016-03-10-21-48-55.png   Check engine light-screenshot_2016-03-10-22-11-24.png  

Last edited by stwarrior23; 03-10-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

No LT should not be near zero. It usually hovers at +/- 5% to 10% depending on how long ago you reset your PCM and what's going on with the engine. A high +LT trim (Running rich) indicates your engine is constantly throwing/adding fuel to the engine, this could be anything from an O2 sensor reading lean constantly to a fuel injector leak.

A high -LT trim indicates the PCM thinks you are running really rich so it's trimming fuel back and and could also be a bad O2 sensor or MAF etc.

If it's a high -LT trim, do not drive the car, you are probably running really lean in reality from the PCM pulling fuel which means you can damage your motor.

LT at +18% constant means your PCM thinks it's running lean so it's adding fuel to compensate. In reality this just makes the car run rich. My guess is your MPG has dropped significantly and your tailpipe tips may be sooty/black? You can drive like this for a while but be aware you may eventually burn out your cats from excess fuel being thrown into them.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:57 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

In order for the CEL to come on for 171/174, the ST/LT numbers must exceed 21 when added together. Does not matter if they are negative or positive. 21 is the magic number to turn on the light. I see that it should be on, but its not. May not quite be for a long enough period of time to trigger it. Anyway, if the light is not on, you are not in danger of damaging the engine. The cats would be getting red hot long before engine gets hurt. Not that cats are cheap, but they will go first. Lean or rich condition, they will overheat.

One thing you can do in the mean time, is get a can of brake clean and check for vacuum leaks. All you have to do is spray the gasket area between the manifold and head while the engine is running. Do this in small squirts to help nail down the location. If the engine rpm's all of a sudden change a bit while it got sprayed you found the leak area. This is the shade tree way of doing what a smoke machine does. If nothing happens, you may want to try doing it when engine is hot and cold. Since metals expand under heat, it may not be as noticeable when its hot.

But still need to see if the light comes back on for any kind of confirmation of where to start.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 03-15-2016 at 02:00 PM.