Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:05 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Would love to see something here.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:32 AM
HRnB
Administrator

Noise elimination is always a good thing. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:12 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if this helps, but

I put second skin audio Damplifier all throughout the cabin of an 07GT. I'd say the car went from being "pretty noisy" to "very quiet". It was basically BMW quiet.

I did the entire cabin but did not put any behind the rear seats and did not put any in the trunk. So IDK if that much noise is coming from the trunk area.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yeah...Mustang vs vette big difference IMO. The Vette is essentially a hatchback with the rear axle being in the passenger compartment. A mustang has the rear axle behind the rear seat outside of the passenger compartment.

What I notice a ton of is heat and noise from the transmission tunnel, not so much the rear. Even with the rear seat down in car it's still not that loud. I get a bit more exhaust noise but that's it.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM
TKO Performance

Originally Posted by Derf00
Yeah...Mustang vs vette big difference IMO. The Vette is essentially a hatchback with the rear axle being in the passenger compartment. A mustang has the rear axle behind the rear seat outside of the passenger compartment.

What I notice a ton of is heat and noise from the transmission tunnel, not so much the rear. Even with the rear seat down in car it's still not that loud. I get a bit more exhaust noise but that's it.
I agree the Corvette's cargo area is a big ol drum. The run flats are an issue. Aftermarket exhaust are also a problem. There is nothing but a thin pan separating the mufflers and the rear compartment..

But I did get a few Mustang owners saying they had the same issue on the older gens because the trunk acted like a resonating drum.
Tires were also a factor in certain states.
We do have something for the tunnel and other areas but that's something you need pull the seats, lift the carpet....etc I'm trying to get a handle on if the pre cut mat we make that goes over the carpet for the trunk is good or a waste of time.

How are the roads by you. Concreate. asphalt..etc?

Thank you
Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
TKO Performance

All great feed back! Based on everything we are gathering it looks as though these rides can use a little quieting down.
Since we posted we too have jumped into an 06 & 03. It did seem to have the noise coming from behind.

Any more feed back from you guys is appreciated. Thank you!

Originally Posted by movielover40
Would love to see something here.
Working on it my friend
Thanks

Originally Posted by HRnB
Noise elimination is always a good thing. Good luck.
Nothing ruins a cruise faster then unwanted interior noise.

Hopefully we can help with the Stang

Thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by TKO Performance
I agree the Corvette's cargo area is a big ol drum. The run flats are an issue. Aftermarket exhaust are also a problem. There is nothing but a thin pan separating the mufflers and the rear compartment..

But I did get a few Mustang owners saying they had the same issue on the older gens because the trunk acted like a resonating drum.
Tires were also a factor in certain states.
We do have something for the tunnel and other areas but that's something you need pull the seats, lift the carpet....etc I'm trying to get a handle on if the pre cut mat we make that goes over the carpet for the trunk is good or a waste of time.

How are the roads by you. Concreate. asphalt..etc?

Thank you
Excellent question (Concrete vs asphalt rodas) as that does have an impact on noise. Here in AZ most asphalt highways have received a rubberized coating that reduces noise in general but, the concreted roads have not. I do get a lot of tire noise over concrete roads/highways.

I haven't really paid attention as to the direction its coming from though (Front vs Rear). I'm heading down to Tucson this weekend. it's about a 1.5 hour drive from Chandler with more than half being concrete surface so I'll pay attention this time to see where it's coming from and how much it changes with the rear seat down/up.

I'm stock exhaust btw so very little noise from that in general.

For in city driving though, I'd say a noise mat would be a waste of time IMO.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:50 AM
TKO Performance

Originally Posted by Derf00
Excellent question (Concrete vs asphalt rodas) as that does have an impact on noise. Here in AZ most asphalt highways have received a rubberized coating that reduces noise in general but, the concreted roads have not. I do get a lot of tire noise over concrete roads/highways.

I haven't really paid attention as to the direction its coming from though (Front vs Rear). I'm heading down to Tucson this weekend. it's about a 1.5 hour drive from Chandler with more than half being concrete surface so I'll pay attention this time to see where it's coming from and how much it changes with the rear seat down/up.

I'm stock exhaust btw so very little noise from that in general.

For in city driving though, I'd say a noise mat would be a waste of time IMO.
Great!
It's sometimes hard to tell but please let us know if the noise is from behind. Thank you for your response