Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3:73 gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 PM
fishingfever
1st Gear Member

Default 3:73 gears

Hey guys. Getting ready to finally purchase gears for my car. Just checking to see if anyone has any input. I am thinking of purchasing the gears from a local performance shop. He highly recommends excel which i believe is richmond gears. I know richmond were very popular growing up, but i am just curious if they are still well respected? My other option is the frpp. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks..
Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fishingfever
Hey guys. Getting ready to finally purchase gears for my car. Just checking to see if anyone has any input. I am thinking of purchasing the gears from a local performance shop. He highly recommends excel which i believe is richmond gears. I know richmond were very popular growing up, but i am just curious if they are still well respected? My other option is the frpp. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks..
FRPP or don't do it. It will be noisy with anything else.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

^ Agree 110%. FRPP or nothing.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:58 AM
kelevera

I completely agree with the above posters. I have installed at least 2 dozen gear sets from FRPP and the only issues I have had was from a customers poorly modified/repaired gear set. FRPP gear sets require no setup other than using the factory shims from the old gear set. You still have to do the pinion pre-load and verify the backlash but other than that it is a very straight forward swap.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:18 PM
fishingfever
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your input guys. Thats what i originally was going to go with, but the local "recommended" speed shop really down talked them. Supposedly this is the guy to go to, and thats what made me post this thread. In all my research lately, it seems frpp is most peoples top choice. This shop says he wont even install them. Maybe its something personal between them. Only problem is now i have to find a shop to install near me. If not, it is off to brenspeed the next long weekend i get....
Old 03-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Yup, find a different shop
Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fishingfever
Thanks for your input guys. Thats what i originally was going to go with, but the local "recommended" speed shop really down talked them. Supposedly this is the guy to go to, and thats what made me post this thread. In all my research lately, it seems frpp is most peoples top choice. This shop says he wont even install them. Maybe its something personal between them. Only problem is now i have to find a shop to install near me. If not, it is off to brenspeed the next long weekend i get....
www.teamjdm.com
They did all the major work on both cars & the gear change on the 14.
..................Not easy to get an appointment !!
Old 03-25-2016, 06:32 PM
fishingfever
1st Gear Member

Awesome. I might have to go check them out. Are they a store or just a shop? Definitely closer than brenspeed...lol... I might just have to take a ride there next weekend. Thanks for all the info guys...
Old 03-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If you have a local drag strip you can go there and ask the racers who they use. You can also go to your dealership and ask them. Some dealerships farm the work out.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Where abouts in NJ are you located? If you're anywhere near Atco, try Michael's on Rte 30 a few miles east of where it crosses Rte 73. Michael is or at least was a fairly serious drag racer and one of the top techs at one of the local Chevy dealers until he went off on his own about ten years ago. His shop is kind of a white box on the left as you're headed toward A.C.

Norm

Quick Reply: 3:73 gears